Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Having an open camera would be nice, but having a good quality camera would also be good. Remember we have two cameras in our N900s in fact, so there could be place for both (and the quality of that "crappy" one would be uncomparably better than the one we have now, I'm sure) When you say "open", you mean that not only drivers, but also the schematics are open, right?
One of the main reasons I still bring my N900 along on any trip I go on, despite the fact that I can't charge it due to a broken USB port, is the camera with BlessN900. I would really hope it is possible to somehow keep this camera in the Neo900; it is better than any other camera (phone or otherwise) I've owned.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Out of curiosity - can you project a camera connector, that will accept original N900's camera modules and talk with it? As it is "board upgrade" project, I don't see anything wrong with removing camera from old board, and putting it into new.

Not to mention, that damaged N900's are easy to buy, and usually, the have intact camera on board. Much cheaper than buying camera modules itself...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
replacing cams its destructive job anyway i only hope we dont miss on features that the n900 has and is the neos board thick like the n900

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
we fixed a small oopsie on the gta04.org website. However here the link to most recent GTA04 docs for your convenience: http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Checked that thread and what's got reported there, only serious post been by Dr.Frost who seems to know a bit about how audio actually works, i hear keywords like enclosure tuning, etc. I don't think we can do much on PCB to support an undefined mod that might get invented eventually. Maximum I could do is keep the PCB area clean around the speakers so no components are in the way when you replace your speakers.

A few further notes: speaker electrical impedance and power has to match the amp, speaker acoustic impedance and resonance frequency has to match the impedance transfromation and tuning of the enclosure(s, both front and rear of speaker).
And last not least: a speaker running into clipping (either in amp or in speaker coil) always sounds much louder than a speaker with higher power rating that doesn't clip at same signal. Alas clipping also means: it will sound to make your ears bleed.

anyway thanks for the pointer, I'll keep it on my long range radar. :-)
/j
Dear Joerg,

my post wasn't even developed in technical terms.

if there is a real interest I can do a better one.

@freemangordon, yes, it is only 1 module.

regards

The Following User Says Thank You to 48GX For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by 48GX View Post
Dear Joerg,

my post wasn't even developed in technical terms.

if there is a real interest I can do a better one.
When somewhere decent engineering documentation appears, about a different speaker transducer's impedance, efficiency, frequency plot, resonance and Q, accustic impedance, as well as equations that calculate how that will work together with the existing enclosure/cabinet regarding tuning and efficiency and frequency plot, plus some real life evaluations on the results using such modified speaker assembly documented by a spectrum analyzer (and I wouldn't even insist in an anechoic chamber for such tests), then we definitely would evaluate and adapt our GTA04 amp circuitry and the pad footprints for speaker contacts and maybe we would even try to source those obviously better speakers and set up a proper procedure to rework the cabinets/enclosures during Neo900 production, to make the new speakers fit.

With all that missing, there's little we can do.

Alternative: you tell us what additional contact pads (exact location, size/shape) you need and we simply place them there, according to your specifications, if possible. Placing contact pads is cheap, evaluating what exactly to do is expensive in units of person-days as well as possibly lab hours.

/j

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-08-30 at 21:08.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Out of curiosity - can you project a camera connector, that will accept original N900's camera modules and talk with it? As it is "board upgrade" project, I don't see anything wrong with removing camera from old board, and putting it into new.

Not to mention, that damaged N900's are easy to buy, and usually, the have intact camera on board. Much cheaper than buying camera modules itself...

/Estel
Please note that with Neo900 we are NOT aiming at a board replacement ("upgrade") concept like for GTA04, actually it been the commercially available N900 spare parts that made me start that project. We won't base this on an idea of "get broken N900 as many as you can", we are planning to build complete all-new devices, with an option to just swap the board for those who happen to have a broken N900 to donate parts. If the camera socket would fit only N900 cams and the only source for such cam modules were old N900 to canibalize, then this wouldn't meet our project policy. Everybody shall be able to buy a complete Neo900, incl working camera.

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-08-30 at 21:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
[..]We're going to change that long term (buzzword "freemantle" - I don't like the name) - see CSSU - but for sure we're not doing anything like "rebasing fremantle on debian" or whatever weird other ideas might come up.
[...]
There's no such thing like "locked into freemantel's [fremantle(!)] aging repo's" on Neo900.
I do believe such thing exists or we would have torrent clients with DHT support 2 years ago when it became standard. The fact some new functionalities are made available is not convincing seeing that a batch of 200 devices at this price point is shaky, who's going to develop those? If it comes to same software stack nothing really changes, the blobs will be outdating us there in 9 months like they are now, actually even worse. /rant (just to clarify, I still want one, sure, just bringing some reality check in, there was a post mentioning OMAP4 (probably quote), I didn't get reply here that it will be impossible, only on IRC, then there is a post mentioning 3.10 kernel (probably in adnroid context), no commentary on that too then everyone coming with wild ideas, lets make it clear this is going to be Fremantle/N900 with 10-30% speed boost, all the rest is pretty much working the same, 924 dollars (700 euro) it is for me at least worth not, but good luck though)

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
I do believe such thing exists or we would have torrent clients with DHT support 2 years ago when it became standard. The fact some new functionalities are made available is not convincing seeing that a batch of 200 devices at this price point is shaky, who's going to develop those? If it comes to same software stack nothing really changes, the blobs will be outdating us there in 9 months like they are now, actually even worse. /rant (just to clarify, I still want one, sure, just bringing some reality check in, there was a post mentioning OMAP4 (probably quote), I didn't get reply here that it will be impossible, only on IRC, then there is a post mentioning 3.10 kernel (probably in adnroid context), no commentary on that too then everyone coming with wild ideas, lets make it clear this is going to be Fremantle/N900 with 10-30% speed boost, all the rest is pretty much working the same, 924 dollars (700 euro) it is for me at least worth not, but good luck though)
What's your point? I made utterly clear that the hw guys are not shipping the device with ANY OS installed, and we don't restrict the choice of OS you may install on that hw. Up to you, please stop reducing S/N ratio of this thread by comments of this type.

Sorry when my multiple roles in this project sometimes make my posts a bit fuzzy. Sometimes when I say "we" I refer to GolDeliCo with my input and project coordination. Sometimes I refer to fremantle porting task force in community that I plan to coordinate and help by interfacing between hw/ee world and the kernel hackers. Sometimes I even refer to maemo community at large. Anyway none of the three groups is "locking you in to repos". You're simply asking for changes that have no support.

Thanks
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-08-31 at 00:11.

What's your point? I made utterly clear that the hw guys are not shipping the device with ANY OS installed, and we don't restrict the choice of OS you may install on that hw. Up to you, please stop reducing S/N ratio of this thread by comments of this type.

Thanks
jOERG
The vote is unchangeable, hype being built by reading the few first pages of this thread is huge and dies quickly, yet it is unchangable. If you're looking for real statistics and not hyped ones, this poll is useless (EDIT: on both sides, there will be people that cooled down, there will be people who rethink their 300euro submission and will want more impact), this might be useful for you, I really cannot predict the outcome).

Sorry when my multiple roles in this project sometimes make my posts a bit fuzzy. Sometimes when I say "we" I refer to GolDeliCo with my input and project coordination. Sometimes I refer to fremantle porting task force in community that I plan to coordinate and help by interfacing between hw/ee wold and the kernel hackers. Sometmes I even refer to maemo community at large. Anyway none of the three groups is "locking you in to repos". You're simply asking for changes that have no support.
Joerg this is nothing personal or against this project, I just believe that extending life of Fremantle in the next 9 months is unrealistic. We already lack 2 year old stuff. Bit of extra HW is going to not remedy it, if with open HW we can get working open SW in debian or whatever I would be willing to pay 1000 and will eat ramen for the next 6 motnhs, no prob.

Last edited by szopin; 2013-08-31 at 00:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!