Active Topics

I really think a client that runs on the N800 that supports H.323 would help (I know..why don't I write one? heh)

Windows ships with Netmeeting which does H.323 video calls fine..there are also lots of free H.323 clients out there..plus the N800 could be used to make video calls to traditional VC units (Polycom or Tandberg)

Another thing H.323 would enable is Multi-point conferencing--which I don't think you can do with the available SIP stuff for N800.

H.323 is simple..dial an IP address..or dial a E.164 alias..it's mature and wide spread..I admit SIP is the future..but..heh..I wanna call H.323!

Thanks for listening

Last edited by acevid; 2008-02-01 at 00:15.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Tampere, Finland
I've wondered a lot the worth of the videocam issue, since there's so little support. Even Skype does not support video in N800. And most of my friends are using Skype, not Googletalk. And there is no option in Googletalk to use video in PC... anyway, I welcome the soutions when they arrive. During that I've no other option but use PC & Skype when needing video...

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Well, Skype is using its own proprietary protocol, whereas SIP already offers video support (voice, video and messaging, from what i understand), so it's just a matter of finding another SIP client that supports video calling and that should work.

I'm guessing that Gizmo is the only SIP client now that supports video, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows of another desktop client that fully supports SIP video, maybe we could test it to confirm if the iT's video calling is limited to working on Gizmo only.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Norway
@spamaverter

Sorry, I just noticed your request, but after wasting a day or more trying & re-trying, I'm afraid I gave it up as a bad job that would never work, and ordered a MacBook AIR instead ;-)

Oh, okay. Nuts! If only we could get it working with SightSpeed - their video implementation blows Skype & Gizmo out of the water (although their GUI could do with some work).

Originally Posted by spamaverter View Post
Ooh! Could you please tell me how you did it? I've tried entering the settings at http://www.sightspeed.com/index.php?...mid=177#faq286 but it didn't work for me - it keeps saying "Network Error".

These are the settings I've plugged into the N800...

MAIN A/C SETUP PAGE:
- Username: myemail@blah.com
- Password: mypassword
- Use for PSTN calls: checked

(Under Advanced...)
CONNECTION TAB:
- Transport: UDP
- Outgoing proxy: sip.sightspeed.com
- Port: 5060
- Discover public address: checked
- Keep-alive mechanism: Auto
- Keep-alive frequency: 0

AUTHENTICATION TAB:
- Authentication user name: myemail@blah.com (or is this meant to just be "myemail"?)
- Password: mypassword

STUN
Auto-detect STUN: I have tried checking this as well as entering the following details...
STUN server: stun.sightspeed.com
STUN port: 3478

When I dial the person, I've tried dialing person@blah.com as well as person@sip.sightspeed.com

Am I missing something?
Ref the Authentication user name you just need the myemail part contrary to what Sightspeed support told me when I asked them..

On stun I used both Auto and the other.

Btw, on the main acct page the user name should be person@sip.sightspeed.com

Mvh

Last edited by cintra; 2008-02-01 at 19:34.

Thanks for the tip, cintra...

After changing the User Name (on the main page) to "myemail@sip.sightspeed.com", I get "Authentication Error" instead of "Network Error".

So I'm guessing I'm having those authentication issues you mentioned. If your real email address is: "myemail@blah.com" then are you meant to use the following values?

(on main page)
User Name: myemail@sip.sightspeed.com
Password: sightspeedpassword (or is it meant to be "realemailpassword"?)

(on auth page)
Authentication User Name: myemail

It seems odd that there's two authentication fields that basically have the same info. I've tried different combinations, but it still doesn't work. Feeling kind of dumb here.

Originally Posted by spamaverter View Post
Thanks for the tip, cintra...

After changing the User Name (on the main page) to "myemail@sip.sightspeed.com", I get "Authentication Error" instead of "Network Error".

So I'm guessing I'm having those authentication issues you mentioned. If your real email address is: "myemail@blah.com" then are you meant to use the following values?

(on main page)
User Name: myemail@sip.sightspeed.com

(on auth page)
Authentication User Name: myemail

It seems odd that there's two authentication fields that basically have the same info. I've tried different combinations, but it still doesn't work. Feeling kind of dumb here.
It is easy to become confused.. any real email address can be forgotten other than for Sightspeed admin reasons.

All you are interested in on the Main User page is one of your Sightspeed user names/accts. I have two so I can set up a link between them, eg on the iMac its 'cinmac' and on my PC and N800 I use another, 'p4pe228' (my PC is usually off).

From an admin point of view I have given Sightspeed two 'real' email accounts, a different one for each of my user names..

mvh

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
I'm guessing that Gizmo is the only SIP client now that supports video, but I could be wrong. If anyone knows of another desktop client that fully supports SIP video, maybe we could test it to confirm if the iT's video calling is limited to working on Gizmo only.
Well basically any SIP client that supports h.263 or h.263+ video will work. There are quite a few out there, but I've used Eyebeam and Linphone just fine with Nokia calls. I've also used another but forget the names off hand. Just wasn't too impressed with it though. Video calls over other SIP clients work pretty well though. Better then Gizmo IMO.

Okay, I think it's safe to say I need to read a tutorial about sip :>

cintra - that was really weird, i plugged myemail@sip.sightspeed.com & pw on the main page, and myemail2 on the auth page... & then i could dial from my n800, but you're right, although they appear to connect, i didn't get any video or audio. the *really* weird thing was that i didn't enter a pw for the auth page. i don't get it. i don't get it at all. :>

moonshine - are you using the windoze version of linphone? on my win box i can connect but it's audio only. it's probably just me. ;P

Last edited by spamaverter; 2008-02-02 at 11:49.