Active Topics

Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
I obviously want the Neo900 badly, being an openmoko supporter pretty much since the start though choosing an irda link dumb phone and then a N900 for my everyday phone/PDA when my final Zaurus died. Not sure how much I can pay, really depends how the contract market looks. This phone doesn't have to be the fastest but I do need a long lifetime handheld that works as good as my N900, the open hardware and drivers fit my philosophy.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Greater Manchester
Im willin to pay 500 but it id pay more about if it could happen sooner. Just bought a 2nd hand ñ900 with a dodgy charger point, couldnt live with out penpen app for song writing, the web an email app an multitasking. Could we get supreme mpa working on n900 so i can destroy this souless android ive been forced to use.

The Following User Says Thank You to demonarch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
sidenote: we're checking for GTM601 3G resp GTM801 4G/LTE modem module to fit into Neo900

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-01 at 18:44.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Not wanting to fall in to the wishlist trap, but how possible would MHL (hdmi out through micro usb) be to impliment in the neo900?

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2013-09-01 at 19:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
Would a switching dual micro-SIM (dare I ask dual modem??) fit in the current SIM opening in the case?
Can the memory/swap handle 4G speeds?

Last edited by biketool; 2013-09-01 at 19:15.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Not wanting to fall in to the wishlist trap, but how possible would MHL (hdmi out through micro usb) be to impliment in the neo900?
I believe estel raised that in this thread a while back.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
I believe estel raised that in this thread a while back.
Ahh, I see post 139 My search used "MHL" so completely missed this as the conversation did not use that term. My bad, should have searched again

Still good to hear others talking about this, and it does sound as if estel and I are on the same plane of thought with not changing the n900 case in favor of using an external adapter.

Edit: it is not the deal breaker for me, I would just be happy with a jump in CPU and RAM. I will just ask please do not break MicroB in the process.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2013-09-01 at 19:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
Would a switching dual micro-SIM (dare I ask dual modem??) fit in the current SIM opening in the case?
A dual modem would be the best, as this would really be dual?

As joerg stated, they will most probably use the N900 case and there it is no problem to use an adapter (not microSIM, but cut standard SIM). But those gimmicks are more to be called as "double-SIM _can-be-switched" adapters, as they do not offer both SIMs online at the same time.

Was there anything said about size of SIM card at all?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ France
Well, I've just discovered this thread, and I'm really impressed by you guys !

Like somebody said it before me, with this motherboard I don't want just CPU/Ram improvements, but also some new modern functionnalities, as NFC.

So if you can provide the same functionnalities (with faster CPU/GPU, and more RAM, maybe 1GB), with no regressions, with NFC, GPIO, and an easy way to install Nemo in eMMC, I will surely buy it for 500€ (I'm not really rich ). But if it's just a CPU an RAM improvement, I will prefer buy a JollaPhone.

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by biketool View Post
No way we get dual modem into this, we are happy we get ONE modem into the case ;-)
For the SIM holder: we'll stay with mini-SIM as you know it from N900.
Memory and fast swap shall be able to handle 4G speeds.

A note to all those who hope to get LTE and 4core 1.8GHz with 8GB of RAM, for 350EUR: won't happen. Not because we maybe are greedy and want to rob your money, but because the devices cannot get produced for this price. Expense on BOM is even higher than that, and production of small batches adds considerably to the per-unit fixed cost. I think our sweet spot at 700 we aim at is pretty much fixed, and not much we can do about it as long as we don't go to maybe 10k batches or higher. It's not like we want to know how much we may ask for the device and then we will adjust our marketing accordingly. Again, think N900 which iirc originally sold for 599EUR, and Nokia produced some 100k+ batch and probably had not that huge margins either. We are producing 100+ batch with better hardware, and we for sure don't do this in the hope to get rich with it. You better ponder how we can add attractivity aka functionality to the device for you, since adding additional functionality will not increase the fixed cost part of device price, i.e. you get additional functions at a very competitive increase in cost. HDMI for example might add some few bucks to BOM cost. If it's increasing the value of device for you by 100 bucks, then it's almost a nobrainer to add it.
See for example NFC http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta0...el/issues/431/ and "Features" at https://shop.goldelico.com/wiki.php?page=GTA04%20Custom

cheers
jOERG

Ps: the 3G modem alone is 100EUR, 4G/LTE quite a bit more. Screen and digitizer and case and stuff another 100+. Maybe gives you an idea. Also please think carefully, the poll doesn't allow to change your vote.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-01 at 22:16.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!