Notices

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Redmond, WA
Thanks for bash! working great. I haven't used *nix in ages and the default shell was killing me...

(also, thanks for nano too!)

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Could I make a slight request please? Is there anyway to modify the bash so when you run "sudo gainroot", it uses the "user" .bash-history? (I like how ash does that and when I need to be full root, I use the root command as per your easy root package).

Thanks.

Just to confirm that your bash port installs and runs fine OS2007.
Thanks!

A couple of quick questions from an N800 newbie. I need bash installed to be able to run a fix utility (script) for an e-mail app that I am running on my N800.

Is this bash package compatible with an N800 running OS2008?
After it's downloaded, how does it get installed?
What precautions should I take before starting any of this?

Appreciate hearing any thoughts.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Could I make a slight request please? Is there anyway to modify the bash so when you run "sudo gainroot", it uses the "user" .bash-history? (I like how ash does that and when I need to be full root, I use the root command as per your easy root package).

Thanks.
When you do 'sudo gainroot', you are dropped back to ash. I made 'sudo gainroot' backward compatible by popular demand, and that's how the original 'sudo gainroot' behaves (it forces /bin/sh on you).

The Following User Says Thank You to ag2 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Alassiel View Post
A couple of quick questions from an N800 newbie. I need bash installed to be able to run a fix utility (script) for an e-mail app that I am running on my N800.

Is this bash package compatible with an N800 running OS2008?
After it's downloaded, how does it get installed?
What precautions should I take before starting any of this?

Appreciate hearing any thoughts.
Works fine with OS2008. Install like you would install any other package.

I'm guessing Shell means a new GUI, is that right? Can anyone show what it looks like?

Edit: Oh I was thinking this was a whole new GUI for OS2008, but I suppose its just for an app called Busybox?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Well for reason of "eh" a week ago I bit the bullet and installed bash as the system shell ( rm /bin/sh then ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh) Works well, nothing broke, overall it feels solid reboots work at the same speed. AND I got my finger board back.

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxrebel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Thanks to linuxrebel, I can confirm that symlinking bash to /bin/sh & to /bin/ash works fine.

Hi. Does this bash package replace all the utilities in busybox as well as adding bash? Or does it at least allow me to replace them all without conflicts with busybox? Or does it just replace the shell, and leave the utilities pointing at busybox?

I'm keen to try this, but I'm unsure exactly what the result will be. Having written this out, I'm convinced it will be the third alternative from above, but just want to check. Ideally, I'd really like to replace the busybox utils with their fully fledged counterparts as well as having bash.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.