Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
People try to knock Apple for being all marketing & zero substance, nothing could be further from the truth.
Their iP5 & iP5s cameras actually compare quite well to the best camerphones on the market, except for the 808/1020, nothing comes close to them once you start manually tweaking.

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Why don't you get a Lumia then?
I'll have a Lumia 1020 soon, great for happy snaps, but pretty boring before too long when it comes to the OS/3rd-pary apps.

Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
People try to knock Apple for being all marketing & zero substance, nothing could be further from the truth.
Their iP5 & iP5s cameras actually compare quite well to the best camerphones on the market, except for the 808/1020, nothing comes close to them once you start manually tweaking.
So you say that this http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple...havior_id35082 is BS?

I have an iPhone 4 and the camera can't compare to that of the N9, not even the 5800. Too much post processing, really bad at low lights, flash is rubbish, sometimes it's even hard to take pictures of a whiteboard.

So, based on that experience, I'm more inclined to believe GSM Arena to what Apple claims with their "better sensor" and all that.

I'd recommend following MNB much more regularly....
I've seen plenty of examples that demonstrate it's "bad", but waaaay more that demonstrate it's actually quite good overall.
And that's via a rabid Nokia community blog (actually quite neutral in some ways, & many great streams of input*).
iP5/5S are definitely one of the better smartphone cameras, just not in the same league as 808/1020...

*most importantly for this area of discussion, some profoundly knowledgeable folks when it comes to imaging

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-20 at 10:33.

Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Why don't you get a Lumia then? They have the best camera that you will find. If you really don't care about the software (presumably you mean the OS+applications), then it's the best choice if those 2 things are important to you.

I'm hating having to give this advice though :-)
I commented about Jolla phone....i have no worries about perfection of sailfish OS......only worried about mentioned specs.....if i buy jolla i wanted to use it for quite a long tiime.....here already LTE avalable...so wanna upgrade to a phone with LTE support...

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

I'd recommend following MNB much more regularly....
Ta, will have a closer look there. Not that I'll buy an iPhone 5 any time soon, but at least for the knowledge.

Originally Posted by praveenchand View Post
so wanna upgrade to a phone with LTE support...
I hear you. I do want LTE as well, but I fear as that changes per country, so maybe your/my country won't get the support. As much as I understand how a network works and I know that in most places the internet bandwidth of most operators can't even match the potential speed of 3.5G, I still want LTE support since I normally keep the phone for 2 years, maybe 3, so naturally I want it to be future proof, hoping that the operators will improve their bandwidth.

If LTE doesn't work in my country, I'd just wait for another device.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Well, that's true until you point them at any points of light and then suddenly PURPLE-LENSFLARE! Suddenly ALL your photos look "awesomo obscuro" ala JJ Abrams.. whether you like it or not. All thanks to that sapphire lens glass.

That aside, though, it IS actually a pretty excellent camera. You just need to remember the lighting problem.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

There's not much in the Android world that's decisively better overall, Z1 perhaps, that's about it really.

I've got 2 real problems:
1. The Your Jolla page doesn't render properly in the N9's stock browser. Seriously?! :-)
2. I don't know whether to buy a replacement for the USB door for my N9 since I broke it when swapping batteries last year. It has to be replaced only if the N9 makes it to the snowboard season (it stops the humidity coming in, you see...), and I'm not sure whether I'll have a Jolla by then (demand/compatibility with where I live/good reviews/will I like it?)

Honestly, I think I need to go to a psychologist or something.

Tags
jolla, jolla on topic, jollamobile, meego, merproject, nokia, nokian9, professionals, speculations, tizenjolla