Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
* Does it take good photos inhouse and out (no I don't talk bout mpix, most people dont know what mpix or ISO is about, what they can see is the quality of the pictures they take. And many mobile is crap in this area and people will not buy if testers give Jolla phone bad points in this area). I mean can it replace your compact camera? This days most people don't want to have both an phone and an compact camera. Not even people who cares a purse.
Well unfortunately I have to disagree with you here.

Most of the off-the-street people have trouble telling a bad image from a good one, unless there is excessive blurring due to camera shake or too slow shutter speed.
Most off-the street people have been brainwashed to belive that Mpix count is somehow the determinig quality metric of a digital camera, and hence they honestly belive it somehow matters.

How many times I have heard the amazed response from people when I have been using my SLR gear, when I tell them I've got 3MP sensor on the bulky one and 6MP on the fancy one, that they proudly show me their compacts or cameraphones and claim that those are superior as they have 8MP or 12MP sensors...
And poor me, taking pictures with just 3MP sensor, with too many fixed-focal length glassware of f1.4 and f2.0...
And don't even get me talking about film... You know what that is?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Also, I wonder how Canonical could make an ultra-high-end for what, €680, whereas Jolla struggles to design a barely mid-end for €400. If I didn't preorder the Jolla already, that Ubuntu device was a real thing, and Canonical didn't suffer so much of the NIH-syndrome, I'd buy one.
No, they did not make it, and they could not have made it no matter what happens.
The whole Ubuntu Edge thing was just a marketing trick, with the goal set so that it was not possible to achieve in that timeframe. I just wonder what excuses they would have invented in the extraordinary case they actually got enough fools to reach the goal.

I repeat, it was the purest and cleanest waporvare you can get, it was never going to happen at that price point.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Well unfortunately I have to disagree with you here.

Most of the off-the-street people have trouble telling a bad image from a good one, unless there is excessive blurring due to camera shake or too slow shutter speed.
Most off-the street people have been brainwashed to belive that Mpix count is somehow the determinig quality metric of a digital camera, and hence they honestly belive it somehow matters.

How many times I have heard the amazed response from people when I have been using my SLR gear, when I tell them I've got 3MP sensor on the bulky one and 6MP on the fancy one, that they proudly show me their compacts or cameraphones and claim that those are superior as they have 8MP or 12MP sensors...
And poor me, taking pictures with just 3MP sensor, with too many fixed-focal length glassware of f1.4 and f2.0...
And don't even get me talking about film... You know what that is?
well that maybe true. But still I see the important that should have a decent camera. For me its more intresting than latest greatest SoC etc... I mean with that OTH there should be place to have a bigger CCD than the crap that many phones has today. But again I doubt it will have, instead it my guess is its some crap lowend camera :/ IF they dont get some kind of deal with Nokia to use N9 CCD or similar...

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Leuven/Belgium
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
IIRC the Meizu & Xiaomi devices do have impressive specs for the price-point but I think there were some QA/build quality issues.
Quite the contrary, i own a mi2 from xiaomi and I've to say there's nothing wrong with it. It is smooth and UI customizable. It is quite snappy and fast but unlike my former n900 it runs Android :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to napaDokc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
No, they did not make it, and they could not have made it no matter what happens.
The whole Ubuntu Edge thing was just a marketing trick, with the goal set so that it was not possible to achieve in that timeframe. I just wonder what excuses they would have invented in the extraordinary case they actually got enough fools to reach the goal.

I repeat, it was the purest and cleanest waporvare you can get, it was never going to happen at that price point.
This^^.
Aaron Siego (of Vivaldi and KDE fame) said as much back in July:
https://plus.google.com/107555540696...ts/a89LXhq3UDh

So I tried to overlook the fact that Canonical is pitching a phone case. A prototype phone case at that. SoC/CPU? Not decided. Screen? Not selected. According to what they have said about what they haven't selected yet it seems they have only a dream for a phone that they want to deliver in April and be to phones what an F-1 car is to a normal sports car. That's unrealistic, to say the least. I have been trying to hold suspension of belief in hopes they have a hardware partner in the wings and draft / engineering boards kicking around with their intended hardware .. the more they speak about it, the less I'm confident that's the (excuse the pun) case. Yet they keep talking about features as if they are actually there. It gets awful close to false advertising in my eyes, but I get that they are trying to raise excitement. Is that the right way to do it?
The Jolla device is REAL, we may not have been given exact specs, but we have seen working prototypes.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:

Getting down to 2 digits

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
You mean till the end of 2013?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by mahead View Post
I'm interested, do you know how Jolla's people are shared between Finland and Hong Kong? Also, I would believe wages are in Hong Kong higher than on "traditional" China.
They've gone into lots of detail about that before, I can't recall specifics & it was some time ago, things may have changed substantively since, & I don't know if they've updated media outlets since.
Traditional China, sure, but internationally very competitive, that sort of stuff is HK's "bread n butter", it has to be, being an island state (in concert w/China).

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

I think you misread his post, try re-reading it, I misunderstood it when I first read it...
Agreed though, it was clearly always more of a publicity exercise than a real initiative, Mark is smarter than that.
It was far too aggressive* to be feasible, something dialed-down a bit would've been totally do-able though.

*not to mention open-ended

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-09-23 at 07:12.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Any news about copy/paste? I need a univeral copy/paste that works. If jolla can give me that I can easily live with this low end spec.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
"pretty soon", funniest line, jolla, pipo party, sailfish, tmo red