Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by gnuite
Hm. I actually meant for those numbers to be selectable, so that you could use copy/paste, although I never tested it because I mostly envisioned them as only being used for general reference (around which you would choose bracketing values). I'll make them copy/pastable at least, though.
I can do this, and since you mentioned it, I probably will, although I have to admit I don't see much utility in it. Why download the same area twice?
I think you're slightly missing what was suggested. The previous poster had in mind:

Get the top right of the area on screen.
Go to Download Area dialog and move/copy/paste the lat/longs to the appropriate boxes. (perhaps with a dedicated "move" button?)
Click "save".
Get the bottom left of the area on screen.
Go to Download Area and move/copy/paste the lat/longs to the other appropriate boxes, as before.
Click OK.

This would let the Download Area operation possible both in a very visual manner AND with no typing.

As everyone else has said - LOVE the program!! Best thing on my 770 - no contest :-)

Cheers,
Jonathan

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
I think we have to start a thread with feature requests for this app and gnuite will chose what he thinks will not overload the app. :-)
here are some ideas I have:
1. when you download by area, make a short size estimate and show how many free megs do we need for that area.
2. change the track point (or track line) color by the precision
3. an option to send your coordinates to a web address (if you are connected to net). To be able to set to send the coordinates automaticaly every few minutes or manual...

:-)
-ioan

Posts: 128 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Philadelphia, PA
I had a question:

Do you need a GPS receiver in order to get step by step guidane through a route? I am able to successfully download a route, but all I can do is re-center the map and look at the different roads.

Just the best program that I see on 770, and remember that it's the first public, open source, individual, version...like microsoft

I spent the drive home watching this app working and was impressed.
I suspect pedestrians were not quite so impressed.

However after closing the cover and reopening it the app crashed. Each time I restart it crashes as soon as connection is re-established with the GPS reciever. I've tried re-installing the app and removing the map cache but the same thing happens. Anyone have any ideas? I can use the panning etc but as soon as it reconnects to the GPS....bang.

Dave

Originally Posted by daveferris
However after closing the cover and reopening it the app crashed. Each time I restart it crashes as soon as connection is re-established with the GPS reciever. I've tried re-installing the app and removing the map cache but the same thing happens. Anyone have any ideas? I can use the panning etc but as soon as it reconnects to the GPS....bang.
Unfortunately it has never worked for me. Mine connects to the gps fine, and displays 'Establishing GPS fix' for as long as it takes to get the fix (under a second or quite a while), but crashes the moment a fix is obtained.

My gps is this one: http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/product/8590.htm

It says it supports RMC and it works fine other other software (eg. gpsdrive on the 770) so I was expecting it to work.

Any clues on debugging this?

Cheers,

Martin.

I ran it from xterm and got this error:

GLIB CRITICAL gtk_progress_set_percentage: assertion 'percentage >= 0 && percentage <= 1.0' failed

The most likely place I thought that would be coming from has a BOUND() call though, so that's a bit odd.

I also managed to get a core file from the crash which I stuck here: http://www.ebourne.me.uk/bits/core.bz2

Unfortunately I've not any dev environment set up for the 770 so that's as far as I could go.

Cheers,

Martin.

gnuite:
Congratulations for your application. I'm waiting for a long time since a bought my 770 for an application like this. Thank you.

Originally Posted by HardCoder
I have a simular problem, the gps i am using is a Globalsat BT-338. I think it's the same hardware as the Insmat but different brand.

But mine doesn't crash all the time, it only crashes when the GPS haven't got any fix.
I get 1 position but it's about 500m of. I allways get the same position when I enable GPS in the menu. Have tried walking around with it about 300 m in one direction. The position does not update.
I have the same problem. My gps is an 'Woxter Slim Bluetooth' and the position reported by the app is wrong. I've been looking the source code and I've probably discovered the problem. In the source, the function 'channel_parse_rmc' translate the string reported by the gps to float by 'atof' function.

_pos_lat = atof(dpoint - 2) * (1.f / 60.f);
I've discovered that 'atof' function does not work well (I dont know why, my experience with Linux is limited ) turning the decimals. I have made my own function to translate from string to float and it's works!! . Mi position is correct now.

I don't know if this problem could be corrected by another way .

(I haven't any site to upload the modified .deb package. If somebody want it, could email me )

Last edited by Demostenes; 2006-05-13 at 03:12.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2006 @ Finland
I can also verify that the crashing was about finding a gps which has no satellite fix yet. It works if I wait long enough for it to have a sensible position info. Too bad the gps has no way of telling that

Sounds like a thing that is not hard to fix though.

//Tuomas

Originally Posted by Demostenes
I've discovered that 'atof' function does not work well (I dont know why, my experience with Linux is limited ) turning the decimals. I have made my own function to translate from string to float and it's works!! . Mi position is correct now.

I don't know if this problem could be corrected by another way .

(I haven't any site to upload the modified .deb package. If somebody want it, could email me )
Great! I suspected that it was something like this, because according to my debugging session, the communication with the GPS works fine for me.
Could you post a patch with your changes?

If you don't know how to make the patch, check this site.
http://www.cpqlinux.com/patch.html

Cheers