Notices

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
The reason Poi_Loader didn't work for what you needed it for is that it was designed with a completely different purpose in mind.

It normally takes one of gpx,tomtom,garmin,kml or geocache files (none of which support categories) and after asking for a category uses gpsbabel to convert them to gpx and then the app converts to mmp files ( wich is just a gpx with the category in sym tags ) for future use. You can also, by the way, dump the entire poi.db to an mmp for reloading in the future.

It was just luck that it semi-matched the above requirements.

There is no xml support in VB so all the xml translation is parsed within the app ( Thats where I removed linefeeds and also why the app wouldn't expect a linefeed in an mmp ).

I've now seen the light and I am programming in Python by preference

PS I'm not being defensive here just explaining.

Originally Posted by rcull View Post
One problem you might have is if you ever want to provide icons for your categories is with naming. The way Mapper works is to name the Icon (a png or jpg with a .jpg extension) the identical name as the category. Having a "/" in the category name makes this impossible.
Ah, thank you. Category icons was my next project, so this advice comes at a great time! Fortunately, swapping out the "/" characters should not be too difficult.

And at the risk of being flamed for not having done a thorough search of the forums yet on this issue . . . is there a suggested or recommended pixel dimension for POI icons?

The reason Poi_Loader didn't work for what you needed it for is that it was designed with a completely different purpose in mind.
The LAST thing I intended was to be critical of your app! To the contrary, now that I know Maemo Mapper has no support whatsoever for importing categories, I think it's great that it has this functionality at all! My comments are only intended to (a) let people who might be facing similar situations know what works and what doesn't work, and (b) humbly suggest functionality that someone might want to program into future versions of apps. Since that won't be me anytime real soon, I have no standing to criticize.

Basically, my concern going into this whole project was that I was asking a stupid question--that there was a simple way to get from A to B and I was just "missing" it. Having now dipped my toe into the pool of POI formats and applications, I realize it's kind of a jungle (to mix a metaphor).

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 168 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ Wales UK
I use 48x48 but that was after trial and error there seems to be a lot of flexibility

Rick

Doesn't Maemo mapper ask you what category you want to import a certain GPX file into? So if you put your POI's into separate files for separate categories, you should be able to import them with categories

Yep, that is essentially what gnuite suggested, and it would work just fine for a small number of categories. But where you have a lot of categories (e.g. 60), that would involve:

(1) dividing your POI dataset into 60 separate files
(2) manually creating 60 new categories in Maemo Mapper
(3) separately importing each of 60 POI files (and making sure you don't screw up by accidentally specifying the wrong default category each time)

This kind of task is what automation was made for!!! That said, it is hardly a major issue, esp. since there is a workaround. But it would be nice to see it handled one day.

I use 48x48 but that was after trial and error there seems to be a lot of flexibility
Hi, all. Only just found this thread tonight, after having spent the better part of the day bashing my head against the wall trying to work out why Maemo Mapper wouldn't parse any GPX file I fed it, regardless of the source. So many thanks for the notion of trimming the <gpx> tag down to the bare minimum and eighty-sixing the <metadata>; that's sorted that out, at least.

Now, about customising the POI category icons in MM... where should I place these completed 48x48 pixel JPGs so MM will see them and use them instead of the standard coloured squares when marking POIs? I've tried /.images and /.documents/Maps/ (the default storage location of the POI.db file), but MM isn't interested in any such tomfoolery. Is there a special setting I have to use to enable this functionality?

Many thanks in advance!

Marcus