My only real complaint is that for me, the browser hangs for a good long while when first loaded, lockups are fairly infrequent(for a relatively new app,IMOP its to be expected) I do have adblock installed but Ive tried it without and it doesn't seem to make much difference, tho its hard to say which is better waiting for the ads to d/l or putting up with some significant lagging of the browser.

that said im sure the browser team will get things worked out in subsequent revs.

bhang

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on May 2007 @ San Miguel de Allende, MX
I tried adjusting the settings as referred to before by Iamthewalrus and Pipeline (thank you), but it hasn't affected the behavior I described earlier.

Again, the browser is effectively hung until ALL the page elements are loaded (the stop 'X' button does nothing, too). This is compounded by the browser having to reload every page from scratch, i.e. there appears to be no page caching performed. Is there ANY switch any of you know about that could affect these behaviors, or is this just a limitation of this (otherwise impressive--it most definitely is NOT "crap"!) browser?

I edited the all.js file by launching emelFM2 from a sudo gainroot'ed shell, but I find that program difficult to use, despite its venerable "Norton Commander" heritage. The button icons aren't necessarily intuitive, only a couple of them offer pop up descriptions, and I cannot find documentation describing their functions (per icon, that is)! Part of the problem is that I can BARELY see them, and the usual +/- buttons don't zoom. IN fact, I managed to NUKE the file by hitting a wrong button, and had to scramble all over the web to find a replacement!

Anyway, I'd be interested in suggestions both for my original browser concern, as well as for using emelFM2, since they are both almost great.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
about the icons in emelfm2, try going to settings (tools icon in teh corner), interface, and set the icons settin to labels only...

Posts: 832 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Phoenix, AZ
Hmm ... I've noticed a good deal of latency issues with my browser, but overall my N800 has been acting "funny." Then again - it's been through a lot.

Poor browser is the reason why i downgraded back to os2007. micro-b seems to have some problem handling complex javascripts on many websites making it load very slow at the beginning. bbc news and this forum for example always shows "connecting" for ages before something appears. turn off js and everything loads way faster. scrolling is also very difficult on some pages with js turned on. everything seems to just bog down.

opera on the other hand seems less affected by poor js. initial loading speed and scrolling are much better. i hope micro-b will get better then i can consider switching back to os 2008.

I'm not sure if its the browser or something else but when I try to watch google videos and try to press "full screen" I get a pop up block notification even though I have it set to allow pop ups.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Charlotte, NC
I totally agree. The new browser eats it. I tried downgrading to 2007 but my wifi wouldn't work so I was forced to upgrade back to 2008. The browser needs serious work.

Posts: 108 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Central London
Originally Posted by HalSF View Post
Web browsing is 80% of what I do several times every day with my N800 running OS2008, and for the most part the experience is equal to or better than what I get using Firefox in Mac OSX or Ubuntu or XP, apart from the obvious miniature-display factor on the N800. And it's much better than OS2007 in many ways, from Gmail/Gcal and Google Reader to the Greasemonkey scripts and generally smooth Youtube performance. Maybe there are some bum units with hinky installs out there, but from my perspective the title of this thread is just dumb as rocks.
Could you just confirm Google Reader is working for you?

It'll load on mine (N810, latest firmware) but it's so slow and unresponsive as to be unusable - even the new readermini.com is sluggish though more or less bearable.. (the old pre-redesign readermini.com was absolutely fine on my 770/really miss being able to read feeds on my tablet at acceptable speed )

Youtube is just about fast enough that you could claim it works from a marketing perspective, but (on mine) it drops too many frames to actually watch something beyond novelty value.

Is my tablet broken or has the software/settings got corrupted somehow?

(I think it's got a bit slower over time, but overall I've been disappointed with browser performance compared to my 770 since I got the n810..)

Last edited by dsmudger; 2008-02-05 at 12:45.

I've just had the tablet for a few days... but made a couple of changes *suggested on multiple threads* with the font and then another change posted here and things seem to work much better for sites like google. the readermini site i just tested seems to work great also. the zoom on these sites is almost instant... i'll continue tweaking... but this is much better now.

googler reader was one of the first sites i checked.. it loads and reads great now. the finger scrolling is working fine on these sites.

for me.. it definately helps to tweak it a bit as the out of box experience wasn't great. liking it now though.

The browser in 2008 is far more capable, in my opinion. Sites that were impossible to use before are now more usable if not completely feature-complete with desktop browsers. Most of the problems I have no are caused by the inability to reliably do a right-click operation.

My only complaints about the new browser are that it is inconsistent on letting me push the page around with my fingertip. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can't.

The other complaint I have is that the scroll bar is either too small or not re-sizable. I would much rather use my fingertips than reach for a stylus. If I wanted to use a stylus all day I wouldn't have upgraded to the model with a keyboard.