Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Germany
Hi there,

I just got my new N900 (which is really cool ) and wanted to connect it to a wifi with WPA/WPA2 encryption. I can see and select the network, but it always asks me to enter a WEP-key (well, actually it asks me to enter FOUR WEP-keys, which I find extremely ridiculous).
Is there any plugin I have to install to get this working or have I just missed some settings?

Greetings from Germany,
Silberwoelfin

I can confirm exactly the same problem.

A couple of times two versions of the same connection have appeared, one asking for WEP and the other WPA. I have chosen WPA and entered the key, but when I try to link it doesn't work. Next time around it is back to WEP only again.

This is extremely frustrating - at the moment I don't have a SIM card and no wi-fi renders this very expensive gadget a complete brick

Posts: 478 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Manchester
I think this is more likely to do with the security settings of your router. I have had issues like this with XP machines and changing wireless security settings in the router has always solved it. I have never had any issues connecting to any wireless network with the N900.

I'm currently having problems with my Wifi connection..I got it working fine as soon as I got the phone, and it worked OK for a few days, but now I get an error when I try to connect.
I've deleted the connection and re-entered it, tried the WEP and WPA keys (both the same in this instance), rebooted the router etc, but I still get an error....I'm not very techie really...I can do simple things but fall at the first hurdle when it gets more complicated...any suggestions please?

This does seem to be router specific. I have got the n900 logging into 3 other routers with WPA keys without a problem, but it won't recognise this particular one as having WPA enabled. But it is also a problem with the n900 because no other machine has a problem with that router. Fortunately I have a spare router - not much of a suggestion, but it works!

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
My friend had similar problem with his *cough* android, and he solved the problem by updating the firmware of the router.

So if you encountered problem that might be router specific, updating its firmware seems to be an option.

Originally Posted by Silberwoelfin View Post
Hi there,

I just got my new N900 (which is really cool ) and wanted to connect it to a wifi with WPA/WPA2 encryption. I can see and select the network, but it always asks me to enter a WEP-key (well, actually it asks me to enter FOUR WEP-keys, which I find extremely ridiculous).
Is there any plugin I have to install to get this working or have I just missed some settings?

Greetings from Germany,
Silberwoelfin
If you are using a new router :

# Go to WPS settings
# Change "WPS Mode" to "PIN CODE" mode.
#Now your N900 will ask for the pre-shared key

Posts: 11 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Someware
Originally Posted by KajuKhan View Post
If you are using a new router :

# Go to WPS settings
# Change "WPS Mode" to "PIN CODE" mode.
#Now your N900 will ask for the pre-shared key
"WPS Mode" is not safe option for you! WPS pin can be hacked in10-60 min with reaver. Safe option is to turn off WPS Mode and use WPA/WPA2 pre-shared key not WEP key "it's to easy crack it".