Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
when you multitask out of an android app, does it pause?
Yes, it pauses.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by att View Post
About one meter and harder to bend than N9's cable.
I would like sorfter cable. Every cable in this house is harder than my N9 one.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yes, it pauses.
Android apps are not aware of multitasking and don't behave well in this situation, so if you don't force-pause them, they will happily eat away your battery, thinking they are still in focus by the user. AlienDalvik takes care of this by emulating Android's application lifecycle.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Originally Posted by finfly View Post
Does anyone have news if (preferably) Sports Tracker or any similar Android application work on Jolla? Hoping for Bluetooth support to Android applications.

I don't want to be pushy but I'd like to order Jolla for Christmas (the deadline for that is 2 Dec) and a little more information would calm me. In my budget 399€ is a huge investment.
I too want to try this with Strava, just not had the time to investigate how to get the apk yet. Still playing with the native phone features.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Android apps are not aware of multitasking and don't behave well in this situation, so if you don't force-pause them, they will happily eat away your battery, thinking they are still in focus by the user. AlienDalvik takes care of this by emulating Android's application lifecycle.
Okay, didn't notice that. Will have to look again when I'm playing with Android apps next time.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by JohnHughes View Post
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
I think it has to do something with EULA, it's said there you grant Jolla all the rights to use and/or redistribute all the changes you've made to the phone's open source components. Maybe the developer account stores the changes you've made? I don't know, just my guess.
They can't add that condition to GPL code.
Excuse me? That's the whole point of GPL. To give the author the right to redistribute all improvements you've made to theiir code. That "viral" property of GPL (it contaminates everything it touches) is the main reason why commercial companies avoid GPL like a plague.

EDIT: Sorry about the OT diversion. I would delete my post but I see no point now that it's been quoted so many times. To some of you I only have to say this: using the Linux kernel, gcc, etc is miles away from using GPL code. Just try incorporating a zip algorithm from Infozip into your commercial software and you will see what I mean.

You are right, this does not belog here. My silly mistake. Sorry.

Last edited by pichlo; 2013-11-30 at 17:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
But not like N9 which has the twitter tweets directly on the notification screen. Jolla has only twitter logo and number of new tweets on its notification screen. You have to click it to open separate twitter screen.

Ya i was talking about this. So no event feed

Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 6030 -> Nokia N95 -> Nokia X6 -> Nokia N900 -> Nokia N9 -> Nokia Lumia 1520

The Following User Says Thank You to praveenchand For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Excuse me? That's the whole point of GPL. To give the author the right to redistribute all improvements you've made to theiir code. That "viral" property of GPL (it contaminates everything it touches) is the main reason why commercial companies avoid GPL like a plague.
You misunderstood. The GPL doesn't force you to distribute improvements you made to someone else's code at all, neither to the original author nor to anyone else.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
@pichlo, JohnHughes, benny1967:

Snippet from Sailfish EULA:
[...] unless and until otherwise expressly informed by you, you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide and perpetual right to use, modify, distribute, and prepare derivative works of, such material solely in our Software and Services for the purposes of enabling you to use the Software and Services in their intended manner. This right must be perpetual, as we do not have the technical capability to manually remove all material you might have provided.
I'd appreciate if you didn't discuss about this any further, it's off-topic (it might make a good thread on it's own).

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Linux kernel is GPL'ed. Companies are not exactly avoiding Linux, are they?

From a consumer standpoint, I think companies who think their business value is entrenched in their source code are the ones you should be wary of. They are the ones which pulls stunts on you like Adobe did with the "Creative Cloud" crap.

I hope Jolla will open up the remaining code. GPL is fine. That does not mean they lose control - Google didn't exactly lost control of Android either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience