Active Topics

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by evander_f View Post
Is it normal that my root fs is not mounted in Ubuntu during maintenance? also Alt_OS partition does not mount.

I've installed Ubiboot successfully and managed to run custom kernels also. It was easy

EDIT: Attached log
Sometimes the automount does not work, I am not sure why but it might depend on your setup. However, if you check your dmesg and see there that the device has been recognized, for example as /dev/sdb, then you can manually mount the partitions.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
Edit: Is this execute OK? (have run chmod a+rx /sbin/preinit*)
~ # ls -l /sbin/preinit*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 Oct 29 22:51 /sbin/preinit -> /init
Now you are looking into the ubiboot FS, not any of the guest FS'es, (Harmattan, Nemo, whatever)

When you run ubiboot, you have a separate ramFS as root, it is not any real partition.
You need to mount your "real" flash partitions somewhere to be able to look/modify those.
In ubiboot the place to do that is the /mnt/1/, /mnt/2/, /mnt/3/... and so on.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Yeah thought so have just tried with this code via ssh with preinits.tar in device MYDocs but message can't find directory etc?

garp@garp-Lenovo-B590:~$ sudo su
[sudo] password for garp:
root@garp-Lenovo-B590:/home/garp# ssh -i my_n9_identity root@192.168.2.15
* Welcome to RM-696 ubiboot-02 maintanance console *

Enter passphrase for key 'my_n9_identity':
~ # tar -xvf preinits.tar -C /
tar: can't open 'preinits.tar': No such file or directory
~ #
When you ssh to the device in ubiboot as root, your home dir is /root/ of the ubiboot FS.
Before attempting this, you need to do the following things:

Unexport your USB partitions: (if this gives you error, then you have the partitions mounted on your PC and you have to umount them first, cannot really have a partition mounted to 2 different devices at the same time, can you? )
echo "" > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/gadget/lun0/file

Mount the drive you have your TAR file on, for example if it is on your My Docs then you need to do:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /mnt/1

Then mount the target you want to extract your preinits to:
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/2

Then, extract the archive:
tar -xvf /mnt/1/preinits.tar -C /mnt/2/

Last thing, sync and umount partitions:
sync ; umount /mnt/1 ; umount /mnt/2

But MyDocs is mounted and also the 3 other partitions both looking to Home map and Nautilus is'n it enough?

Just doing this:"Once the device reboots, keep the USB cable plugged in to enter “maintenance mode”. You will notice that the File Manager of your Linux Distribution will open and will mount/show all the partitions:"
http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot#Moving...g_Filebox_Root

By the way I have also unpacked preinits.tar to rootfs '/' by archive isn't it enough?

Just doing this
There are two different things here, and you are mixing them up

See, you can have either the partitions mounted to your PC, and then you are working on them on the PC, or you can ssh into the device and mount the partitions on the device and work on them there.

You cannot mix these methods, you cannot have single partition mounted to 2 different devices at the same time.

Log file: /home/user/MyDocs/boot
Ok, on my system, /home/user/MyDocs/boot is a folder, not a file, containing ubiboot.conf, ubiboot-02.menus.cpio, zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 and zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_301013. I don't see a log anywhere.

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@garp
juice explained (again) correct and better than me

@taixzo
what about output of
ls -l /boot (when in harmattan, so /dev/mmcblk0p2/boot()?
Could it be you copied the kernel only to MyDocs/boot and not to /boot? (Of course the listed kernels in MyDocs/boot are only the ubi kernel which needs to be flashed to device)
output of
ls -l /boot
and ubiboot.conf

--
reread and possibly you have old configuration on mtd4/5?
if so, you need to decide to use either of mtd4/5 or MyDocs. Order is mtd4, mtd5, MyDocs
your log files will reside on /var/log/ubiboot*

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-12-03 at 09:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
Ok, on my system, /home/user/MyDocs/boot is a folder, not a file, containing ubiboot.conf, ubiboot-02.menus.cpio, zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_040613 and zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-0http://talk.maemo.org/maemo/images/editor/color.gif2_301013. I don't see a log anywhere.
The kernels (zImage*) you should put on the /boot/ folder on your Harmattan root.
The log files, ubiboot.log & ubiboot.dmesg will be created after you run ubiboot at least once, in your p1 /boot/ directory which is /home/user/MyDocs/boot in Harmattan.
If you do not have the log files, then check your ubiboot.conf, as there are keys G_LOGFILE_PARTITION="1" and G_LOGFILE_DIRECTORY="/boot" which determine where the log files go.

Ah, one thing to remember! If you are using an older ubiboot version, then the log files go to /var/log/ of your Harmattan installation, and the location is not configurable!

Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
There are two different things here, and you are mixing them up

See, you can have either the partitions mounted to your PC, and then you are working on them on the PC, or you can ssh into the device and mount the partitions on the device and work on them there.

You cannot mix these methods, you cannot have single partition mounted to 2 different devices at the same time.
Thanks for your explanation above.
Main problem is not mixing this 2 methods, I think - that's normal in Windows too, connected to masstorage you can't use Filebox in MyDocs at the same time, and if mounted /home, /rootfs etc with Paragon you can't use them either. And you have to choose masstorage or SDK(ssh)/Putty can't do both.

In Ubuntu you dont need Paragon to get device mounted to PC and terminal act as Cmd on Windows (meaning on PC)
But strange thing and my misunderstanding here starts with Ubiboot behavior as I see it, because terminal - and Putty too ! - suddenly can be on device (n9) in maintenance mode - which not the case in Windows (Cmd) - or is it ? -and you have this mounting problem I get into?

Is that correct understood?

Last edited by Garp; 2013-12-03 at 11:50.

Thanks for your explanation above.
Main problem is not mixing this 2 methods, I think - that's normal in Windows too, connected to masstorage you can't use Filebox in MyDocs at the same time, and if mounted /home, /rootfs etc with Paragon you can't use them either. And you have to choose masstorage or SDK(ssh)/Putty can't do both.
Exactly, the automounter daemon (usb-moded actually) in Harmattan makes sure that when you export MyDoxs via USB the device-internal mount is disconnected.
Reason for that is, when a raw partition is mounted in 2 devices simoultaneously, you cannot cache the filesystem accesses and if you try to write something on it, it will get corrupted. (Read-Only access however could be possible)

In Ubuntu you dont need Paragon to get device mounted to PC and terminal act as Cmd on Windows (meaning on PC)
Yes. Linux can mount ext4fs partitions as native, because that is what it uses for it's own disks usually. (could be some other FS too, but nowdays I'd say ext4 is the most widely used...)
Windows cannot do it by itself, it only knows about DOS and NTFS filesystems and so needs drivers like Paragon.

Windows "CMD-prompt", yes, it is like terminal in Linux, in a way like a Mouse and an Elephant are both animals
Only one is a little more powerful than the other.

But strange thing and my misunderstanding here starts with Ubiboot behavior as I see it, because terminal - and Putty too ! - suddenly can be on device (n9) in maintenance mode - which not the case in Windows (Cmd) - or is it ? -and you have this mounting problem I get into?

Is that correct understood?
I am not sure if I understand correctly, but when using telnet client on Linux, or ssh client, or Putty on Windows, then you connect to the internals of the device itself, it is same as if you'd open a terminal application on Harmattan itself.
When you work in a telnet/ssh connection, then your commands are directly executed on the device, not on the PC computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 697 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Hillerød, DK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Windows "CMD-prompt", yes, it is like terminal in Linux, in a way like a Mouse and an Elephant are both animals
Only one is a little more powerful than the other.

I am not sure if I understand correctly, but when using telnet client on Linux, or ssh client, or Putty on Windows, then you connect to the internals of the device itself, it is same as if you'd open a terminal application on Harmattan itself.
When you work in a telnet/ssh connection, then your commands are directly executed on the device, not on the PC computer.
Hi, like that with the Mouse and Elephant
And that's the point I think (?) being in Cmd you can't get access direct to device you have to stay on PC - as far as I know - but be in Ubuntu terminal you can change to device direct - but is it due to Ubiboot or Ubuntu or both - I'm not sure?

OK but nevertheless it don't move my main problem - so near to Ubiboot and even so long away.
Have been there once before no problem boot to Harmattan, NITDroid and Firefox then mixed up with extracting Nemo OS to Alt_OS. Now this seems to be solved but then can't boot at all!
Before long I need to flash back in lack of battery and don't want to be caught in 11% flash trap!

Last edited by Garp; 2013-12-03 at 13:24.