Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
After some googling I found "Apk Extractor" for Android. I installed it my Nexus 7 and used it mail me Yle Areena, Netflix and Linux Journal app apk files. I installed those using the Email app on Jolla.

Yle Areena seems to work for VoD but not for live streams. The live streams take long time to start and have serious rendering problems. The VoD programs have a slight out-of-sync voice problem. I was using 3G connection when testing this.

Netflix works but has more serious out-of-sync voice problem. I had to enable WLAN temporarily to get Netflix to detect network connection (general Android app bug at Jolla). Otherwise I used 3G data connection.

Linux Journal app also works. Little slow as general feeling but much faster on ad pages than Documents app with Linux Journal PDF magazine. Still 3G data connection.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 123 | Thanked: 268 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by cy8aer View Post
What about formatting a 64GB card with btrfs: does it work then?
Works, I have Sandisk Ultra 64GB card. Had it formatted as vfat, but I have always wanted to try using something better. Saw your question so decided to try it out.

I formatted it as btrfs when the card was installed. Normal
mkfs.btrfs -command works. If you do not suply any options, mkfs.btrfs detects sd card as a ssd-drive and adjusts options accordingly.

I copied some music (ogg-vorvis files) via scp and the media player detects them just fine.

I use only linux on all my devices, so btrfs is not a problem for me if I need to use the card with one of my computers.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Tsippaduida For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Sofia, Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Tsippaduida View Post
Works, I have Sandisk Ultra 64GB card. Had it formatted as vfat, but I have always wanted to try using something better. Saw your question so decided to try it out.

I formatted it as btrfs when the card was installed. Normal
mkfs.btrfs -command works. If you do not suply any options, mkfs.btrfs detects sd card as a ssd-drive and adjusts options accordingly.

I copied some music (ogg-vorvis files) via scp and the media player detects them just fine.

I use only linux on all my devices, so btrfs is not a problem for me if I need to use the card with one of my computers.

As far as i know mounting the btrfs flash drive with -o ssd is essential for the proper data storage on the flash drive.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options

If jolla does not mount it with those options may be ext2 is a better choice for the card?
Barnabas Collins

Last edited by kollin; 2013-12-07 at 13:06.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
I tried with my old Think Outside Stowaway Keyboard. It paired with the Jolla easily and was then correctly listed as keyboard-type device Thinkoutside Keyboard with supported profiles HID and DID.

Typing on the keyboard, however, had no effect.
I tested with Sandberg bluetooth keyboard. No go with same symptoms. Pairing succeeds and the keyboard is shown as a keyboard device, but nothing reacts to inputs.

The Following User Says Thank You to Manatus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Too many bugs, too many issues with SDK and nowhere to report to. This should not be released to public as user product but under Dev-category. (I know they are trying to save it by adding a beta tag)

I'm disappointed. Good luck to you all. I'm waiting at least another year to give sailfish a go as a developer or user. It's way to immature for an unreal price tag.

Chuck

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Bremen, Germany
Originally Posted by kollin View Post
As far as i know mounting the btrfs flash drive with -o ssd is essential for the proper data storage on the flash drive.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Mount_options

If jolla does not mount it with those options may be ext2 is a better choice for the card?
Not anymore. btrfs should autodedect SSD automaticly https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-b.../msg02493.html

The Following User Says Thank You to max_power For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
Tracker is used by sailfish _only_ to store metadata AFAICT which can be easily regenerated. Text messages, contacts, ... etc are stored elsewhere.

It also crawls only a few directories + sd card to it should behave a bit better than N9/N900
Are text messages, contacts, documents etc still indexed by tracker? And is there a global search interface, like there is on the N9 (and Symbian/N95)? I actually like that functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Funny how I've got a file manager in my N9 and I always use the terminal to do any file management. It'd be nice if you could activate the terminal without having to go through development mode though, as it's extremely useful.
Good for you, but you can't expect normal people to go into dev mode and use the terminal for file management.
If the N9 (I don't have one) doesn't come with a file manager, how do normal people manage files on it? I mean I'd just file (or feel) deprived of essential control over my device.
Are there good file managers for N9 in existence now? Any ports to Sailfish in the works? Anyone announced a new one for SF?
Man I still can't believe it, that's like treating the user worse than Apple does.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Are text messages, contacts, documents etc still indexed by tracker? And is there a global search interface, like there is on the N9 (and Symbian/N95)? I actually like that functionality.
If so, I reeeeeeeally hope they used a new version of Tracker. Tracker in Fremantle is soo broken.
And +1 for global search, it's a must for any decent OS. In fact, all lists of everything should be power-searchable (best part of having a hwkb; possible, but not as nicely, on a vkb)

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
No. Such a thing is a large can of worms (hard to do, hard to do performantly). If you ever experienced smartsearch sucking up your battery on the N9, that's why.

This doesn't mean it won't ever happen, but it isn't there now.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience