Active Topics

Originally Posted by jolouis View Post
Okay all, sorry for the delay my supplier was a bit slow and I got caught up with some other work during the week. As it stands I've got 10 of these bad boys ready for you, so first come first serve. I've got another shipment coming on Monday/Tuesday some time, so if you miss out on the first ones just be patient.

The standard mail shipping rate is only an estimate that the post office gave me, so when I start sending these units out if the cost turns out to be lower I'll credit the difference to you.

If you want to do paypal instead of going through the website send me a PM, but keep in mind that I prefer dealing with the site, so that's where the stock priorities will be.

http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1781

And incase anyone's wondering, here's a shot of the Tablet with adapter and a USB drive attached...

Thanks,
-Rob
Hi Rob..

Think you could arrange with your supplier a version that has a tiny MiniB male OTG end with perhaps a 2 inch cable and the Female A end. I'd buy 6 of them.. I'd settle on the stub if needed but I'm hearing many folks including myself would like the comfort of having the cable to minimize possible damage due to a tiny drop, etc.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 837 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Milton, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm glad to see that this has been such a well-received product! (I knew a few people were interested but the demand has been staggering!). I'm currently working to try and get some pricing and availability on some additional custom cables now that I have an idea of the sort of volumes that people are committing to.

In the meantime I'm looking for some more feedback on two product variations:
1) The current adapter bundled with a short (approx. 6") Mini USB extension cable. This will allow you to plug the cable into the N800, the adapter on the other end, and have yourself the same benefits as the adapter but with a bit more flexibility (and slightly safer for those who are worried about dropping the device/etc). I know ideally the cable would be mini B to Female A, but that has to be custom built (I have not found anyone who even knows of such a cable, let alone sells it) and I'm waiting to hear back from my cable manufacturer to see if it's possible and feasable). So in the mean time, anyone interested? Or does everyone think the adapter is fine and just wait to see if a full custom Mini B to Female A cable is possible?

2) Oh those poor N810 people! I'm going to open up another thread to see if there's interest from that side for something similar to the option I just mentioned above. While I'm hoping my custom cable manufacturer will be able to give me some reasonable options, the lead times (especially for Micro USB as it's extremely new and hard to find) may be quite long... so in the meantime: a bundle that includes a 6" Micro-USB to Mini-USB dongle along with one of the regular Mini-USB to Female A adapters. The other advantage to this would be that if you have both N800 and N810 you only need one adapter (just plug it into the N800, or plug it into the dongle with the N810). Opinions on that one can go either here or in the new thread.

Thanks!
-Rob

Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
1) I like that suggestion. But how difficult is it to get the mini-USB extension cable you are thinking about? Can't most people just buy one at their local store and get the same solution?

2)Those poor n810 people? Let them suffer, I say!

More power to your elbow, Rob. Especially your soldering elbow.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm glad to see that this has been such a well-received product! (I knew a few people were interested but the demand has been staggering!). I'm currently working to try and get some pricing and availability on some additional custom cables now that I have an idea of the sort of volumes that people are committing to.

1) The current adapter bundled with a short (approx. 6") Mini USB extension cable. This will allow you to plug the cable into the N800, the adapter on the other end, and have yourself the same benefits as the adapter but with a bit more flexibility (and slightly safer for those who are worried about dropping the device/etc). I know ideally the cable would be mini B to Female A, but that has to be custom built (I have not found anyone who even knows of such a cable, let alone sells it) and I'm waiting to hear back from my cable manufacturer to see if it's possible and feasable). So in the mean time, anyone interested? Or does everyone think the adapter is fine and just wait to see if a full custom Mini B to Female A cable is possible?

2) Oh those poor N810 people! I'm going to open up another thread to see if there's interest from that side for something similar to the option I just mentioned above. While I'm hoping my custom cable manufacturer will be able to give me some reasonable options, the lead times (especially for Micro USB as it's extremely new and hard to find) may be quite long... so in the meantime: a bundle that includes a 6" Micro-USB to Mini-USB dongle along with one of the regular Mini-USB to Female A adapters. The other advantage to this would be that if you have both N800 and N810 you only need one adapter (just plug it into the N800, or plug it into the dongle with the N810). Opinions on that one can go either here or in the new thread.

Thanks!
-Rob
Maybe phrase the question(s) in the form of a survey.

Personally, I prefer a MiniB (ideally OTG) extension to Female A. I think a 2 to 3 inch extension is sufficient.. but would settle for the 6 inch. The idea is simply an OTG adapter where the N800 would be safe in event of a short drop.. pull / bend of the adapter, etc.

I have 4 N800s for testing purposes.. and currently use none OTG adapters.. but they seem both gawdy and unsafe..

Try to get some cost estimates for getting some custom cables.. and throw a few surveys on here.. I think folks would pay between $6 to $10.. should throw in quantity discounts.. Maybe $10 for 1 and $6 for 5+ ? Whatever works..

futures

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ MI, USA
A couple quick questions for (Jolouis) or anyone else, I'd just ordered the mini b male to USB A female through Amazon and also a USB A female to A female adapter, (to be connected to the included Nokia USB PC cable) (oh and I already ordered before seeing this option) using either adapter would I then need to run some software like the one built into the latest release of Konttori's UKMP ? And the one you are offering does not require any software at all ?

Also you spoke of the USB OTG Wiki, are you referring to the N810 OTG Wiki, Wikipedia's USB OTG Wiki or is there another one ?

Thanks in advance.

TTgowings, either of the cables/adapter combinations that you talk about would require that you use one of the manual switching options. The Wiki that I refer to is the Wiki here at ITT, specifically the N800 host mode entry:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi..._using_OS_2008
The wiki entry there describes your options for manually enabling and disabling host mode; I'm not sure about any USB option built into the latest build of UKMP, but I haven't used UKMP in a while...

Also correct, the difference between the one I'm offering and the ones you can find elsewhere (Amazon,etc) is that I've mod'ed them to have the correct pins shorted, so when you connect it the N800 automatically switches into host mode (and when you disconnect it goes back into device mode).

they seem both gawdy and unsafe..
I'm not quite sure about that statement. I mean from a portability point of view I think having any connector plugged into the tablet while you carry it around is going to generally in the same boat (i.e. if you have a dongle and drop the tablet or something, the end of the dongle that's plugged into the N800 is still going to have the same problem as if it was the adapter itself). Also, the adapter connection is tight enough that it supports itself and the weight of something like a USB thumb drive, but if you were to hit it accidentally either the adapter will shift only ever so slightly (and still work without loosing connection) or it will pop out of the N800; it depends on how hard you hit it and from what angle. Part of the test that I do for each of them before sending them out is to make sure that they don't loose connectivity if you forcably "Wiggle" them slightly, but that they are not so tight as to rip your N800 is half in order to disconnect!

Anyways, I'm still persuing the dongle angle with the general idea of people wanting to have a bit of flexible cable in order to do things like mount a USB drive to the back of the tablet, etc...

Thanks!
-Rob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jolouis For This Useful Post:
I'd like one of these when they are available.

I have ordered the adapter, and am looking forward anxiously to its arrival. I have tried all three coding methods mentioned on the wiki, and simply cannot get the N800 to recognize my powered USB external HDD (Nexto M1 case). I'm really hoping the HW solution will do it. I think I'll be satisfied with just the adapter rather than a cable. Thanks!

-Rob
Not what you asked, but another VERY useful product for me, and I believe others would be an N800 FBUS serial cable to enable cold-flashing.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15712

Have had to send my N800 in for Nokia service three times now when the bluetooth died, and all they did on the first two returns was [apparently] to cold-flash it. Have asked for a replacement this time around.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=16203

Just [back]ordered 2 of your USB adapters.

Thanks,
Phil

pschaff, you certainly have some bad luck with that N800 of yours don't you?? I'd call defective unit on it, unless you've had a lot of responses from others stating the same problem...

As for the cold-flash cable, it's not terribly difficult to do (I built one up for working on my OpenWRT routers, the principle is the same, and when you do something on those to mess up the boot, this is the ONLY way to fix it) but I'm not sure what kind of connector you'd put on the N800 side of things... the tabs are there, but there's no visible sign of any type of connector plate/etc to actually "attach" the connector onto to hold it in place; I'm not sure what Nokia does but I'd imagine they have some kind of special jig/docking port that they put 'em in to make the connection.

Aside from that, the best option that most people end up with is using a cell-phone serial cable if you can find one... double check the specs, but they usually have 3.3V for the cell phone, and 12V for the serial on the PC which is what you need. Ebay is great for that sort of thing. The other alternative is to get a MAX232 and build a little TTL converter; all you need is the one IC and a few capacitors to make it work (the circuit diagram comes with the MAX232 documentation).

Will be getting another shipment of adapters in in the next day or two, so for all of those who have pre-ordered... I'm working on it!

Thanks,
-Rob