Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by MisterMaster View Post
Someones first encounter with Jolla:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=curw-6ET15k

It seems that his worst enemy is the events screen.
What the hell did I just watch? I mean, seriously, this person kept doing the same thing over and over.

If that's a representation of who has this device right now, I'm actually saddened a bit. If anything, the need for a video, in whatever native language is needed that describes what gestures do what, it needs to be made now; post haste.

Wow.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
What the hell did I just watch? I mean, seriously, this person kept doing the same thing over and over.

If that's a representation of who has this device right now, I'm actually saddened a bit. If anything, the need for a video, in whatever native language is needed that describes what gestures do what, it needs to be made now; post haste.

Wow.
Well, as I listened to his muttering (in finnish) among the swearwords I heard bits like "where's the f*****g back button", "what the b****y did it do now", "huh!", "what!", "How the h**l did I get here again" and so on...

I gathered he had used iOS & Android devices before and did not quite get the logic of the device. Also he had not gone through the tutorial that starts when you first boot up the device.

It seems that he did not understand the nature of the swipes at all, not that there are 2 types of swipes, one from edge and one inside the viewport. And he got nervous and swiped too quickly to understand what he was doing

If he'd ever used N9 before I guess he would have known a bit about the logic... Fortunately the tutorial is very good at explaining the basics and you cannot get to the device before you have completed it

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
First time swiping it away accidentally, next time he already swiped it away on purpose.

I did not guide him in any way, just looked that he didn't start to throw the phone around or remove any programs. And it took less than 10 minutes for him to learn the basics of the Harmattan Swipe interphase: opening programs and moving between them.

Don't know if Sailfish would be more confusing to use. I probably have to test it with my son when I finally get one.

just document your observations well might be useful on the day that starts peacefully only to end with Sailfish being attacked by overseas patent watchdogs for using their swipe.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by richardyates View Post
I have checked the timezones wherever I can find them - they are all correctly set to UTC - which is my correct zone

Hope that helps:-)
Are you sure that UTC is really your timezone? AFAIK the UK uses Western European Time, but not UTC. UTC has no DST and this may explain why alarms go off an hour too early. It works fine for me in CET.

Are there any countries that actually have UTC timezone? AFAIK it's an artificial DST-less timezone to coordinate times worldwide. It just happens to match British time half of the year.

Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Are you sure that UTC is really your timezone? AFAIK the UK uses Western European Time, but not UTC. UTC has no DST and this may explain why alarms go off an hour too early. It works fine for me in CET.

Are there any countries that actually have UTC timezone? AFAIK it's an artificial DST-less timezone to coordinate times worldwide. It just happens to match British time half of the year.
Wait... what? Of course no country is in UTC or GMT or any timezone for that matter... isn't date/time managed in /usr/share/zoneinfo, and you set the country/city in /etc/timezone? So, each country has their own rules as to when to switch to daylight saving, or not switch at all? This changes almost every year (I can see the timezone updates coming through my Linux distro...). I'm not sure how it is with CET In particular (does the EU agree on this for _all_ their countries?)

Am I missing something? Date/Time should be set per country/city rather than timezone, unless you want to change the timezone every time daylight saving changes, which is what I do in my old DSLR, or my PS3 ;-)

EDIT: Just checked my N9... it looks like /etc/timezone doesn't exist, but the same principle applies... time/date set by country/city, please somebody correct me if I'm completely wrong here.

Last edited by ggabriel; 2013-12-11 at 10:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

If he'd ever used N9 before I guess he would have known a bit about the logic... Fortunately the tutorial is very good at explaining the basics and you cannot get to the device before you have completed it
Tutorial is pretty good.

As someone who skipped N9, I had similar problems than that guy for about first 30 mins. Especially, I kept accidentally doing swipe from below the screen when scrolling vertically, so the notification screen became very familiar sight! Hard to get it into 'muscle memory', even when I knew that I shouldnt do it. Now I'm used to it though.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
It should be GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and BST (British Summer Time) (GMT+1) in the summer however GMT and UTC are the same time since we in the UK got to set where the meridian was and UTC picked up the same meridian.

That doesn't explain the hour difference in the alarm UI though. Maybe it is working in CET whereas the back end is UTC.

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by _Routser View Post
Facebook chat. I use this a lot and it would be nice to see people who are online, and to be reachable via chat. I somehow remembered this was already supported but no messages came through to me.
This should already work. If you open the notifications & events view (swipe from the bottom of your phone), open "Show presence details" from the pulley menu. You should have a facebook account listed there. Once it's online, it should start to work, hopefully!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Indeed and in teh people app once you are online you can tap on the little globe icon and see all the contacts who are also online and available.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
A question about the browser:

With such a beautiful multitasking interface seems only natural that we can make advantage of the swipe multitasking interface to efficiently switch between web pages. (like on the N900)

Does the built in browser allow "open in new window" instead new tab?

That is necessary because on a wel designed touch interface the multitasking interface IS the tab system.

I need multiple pages of daily bookmarks loading in the background (we have 1GB or ram and a dual core)

Of course the option to open tabs may still co-exist.

Thanks and sorry if this is a double posted question.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience