Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Yes, using a cloud service is the same as ignoring basic application security and letting all apps access everything. Nobody could use a cloud service, and then worry about one app reading another's data. I'm sorry, I'll go back to my cave now.

I see security is not taken seriously around here. For shame.
What cave are you in? In next couple of days there will be tutorials how to block/fake access for android apps to contacts etc, yes you will need to use dev mode and terminal, if you're not comfortable with that then what 1% are we talking about? Ease of use for Joe >> way for geeks to tweak stuff from company pov

Edit: srsly it's like the question "can we root/jailbreak aliendalvik" you decide what you do with this phone, if you want, you can have,much better control here

Last edited by szopin; 2013-12-13 at 19:50.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Hmm weird. Well I use cinnamon, and it works fine for me.
Was anything else tested? If so, what OS's?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Was anything else tested? If so, what OS's?
Cinnamon (the sane gnome UI, other option mate) on Debian. I have seen reports of it working fine on Ubuntu. You will even find reports it works on Fedora. So it might just be some program claiming it and things failing because the autorun cannot access it.

Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Cinnamon (the sane gnome UI, other option mate) on Debian. I have seen reports of it working fine on Ubuntu. You will even find reports it works on Fedora. So it might just be some program claiming it and things failing because the autorun cannot access it.
So just Linux? No Windows, no OS X? Within Windows, you'd see that Vista (unsupported by Microsoft) and Windows 7/8/8.1 which are still supported as well as OS X (10.7/10.8/10.9) whereas the last two are still supported by Apple actively; are out there in the consumer world and actively used. I'm not going to go into the BSD's and alternate OS's (think: Haiku and the like).

Mind you, I'm a Slackware user. Have been since 1996. But I now run OS X 10.9 and use VMWare to run my other OS's. I'm sure you guys can use some virtualization and test beyond a distro I've personally haven't used (although, that shouldn't really matter) and test other major OS's and versions.

Not saying it didn't happen (testing) but I'm only able to go by what's confirmed so far.

This kind of stuff is important to a wide group of possible consumers. This opens up the gate for other OS relevant questions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Anyone with a Iphone 5 or a galaxy note 3 that can compare browsers. How much slower is jolla browser?
I don't have those but I have Xperia Z and it is usually around 2-5 seconds(about) behind Z's Chrome when loading pages, sometimes tho, Sailfish browser was faster loading page but very rarely. U'll be using firefox or some other android browser tho if you want landscape.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
So just Linux? No Windows, no OS X? Within Windows, you'd see that Vista (unsupported by Microsoft) and Windows 7/8/8.1 which are still supported as well as OS X (10.7/10.8/10.9) whereas the last two are still supported by Apple actively; are out there in the consumer world and actively used. I'm not going to go into the BSD's and alternate OS's (think: Haiku and the like).
No problems in Windows 8 when I connect Jolla. Works without a hitch.Nor on my Linux install at home. Only on OSX.

Also connected my Jolla to Windows XP at work and got a shitstrom of weird security notices, but I think thats just the usual insanity from the IT people who do that stuff where I work.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by TrD View Post
I don't have those but I have Xperia Z and it is usually around 2-5 seconds(about) behind Z's Chrome when loading pages, sometimes tho, Sailfish browser was faster loading page but very rarely. U'll be using firefox or some other android browser tho if you want landscape.
Wouldn't Jolla to Android's Firefox be the apples to apples comparison?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
No problems in Windows 8 when I connect Jolla. Works without a hitch.Nor on my Linux install at home. Only on OSX.
Thanks. I thought I saw somebody else in this thread on Linux having a slight problem, but I might have been wrong. Thanks for this clarification.

Also connected my Jolla to Windows XP at work and got a shitstrom of weird security notices, but I think thats just the usual insanity from the IT people who do that stuff where I work.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ finland
Wouldn't Jolla to Android's Firefox be the apples to apples comparison?
Ok I'll do some fast tests, will edit this post. would love to do video of the comparisons but got no equipment for that so I cant tell exact times...so they will be only "about" times :P

edit:
Sailfish browser vs Android Firefox on Xperia Z. Now Sailfish browser pretty much beat the crap out of androids firefox when loading pages, sailfish browser beat firefox almost everytime with somewhere around 3-5 seconds faster loading, there was few times when firefox took even more than 5 seconds and 1 time when firefox was faster. However sailfish browser doesn't resize the text so i have to zoom and scroll horizontally if theres something to read.

Last edited by TrD; 2013-12-13 at 20:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TrD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes, Because mine is in shipping state and I'm using Gnote lll as main device AWS. Still don't believe jPhone can kick it to the dust. But your comment sounds nice, and you bought twice, witch to me is like rollin the dice.
Not sure if it was intentional, but i'm digging the rhymes at the last sentence there

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience