Active Topics

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Not quite about that but an interview that just came out today about updates and bugs. http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/18/jolla-p...-on-valintoja/
I haven´t seen this part covered/translated:
After they lost the ST-Ericsson deal they had to redo the product in many ways in just half a year. "That meant quite a lot of work. If you think what has happened since the spring, a lot has been accomplished. If you compare that to the amount of features still missing, I wouldn´t be that concerned over the fact that the software is missing some features at this moment."

The writer also speculates that the devices showcased at Jolla Love Day were still based on ST-Ericsson.

I would interpret this to mean that they are capable to implement quite a lot of the missing features quite fast. The biggest obstacle might be just those FB-lawyer kind of things, where the solution/s are not up to Jolla.

Smaller detail: Pienimäki now thinks that they should have included more apps in the phone right from the start, instead of letting the user download just those he needs. They were divided on this issue within the company and the "philosophical" side (let the user decide) won.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tujutzki For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Tujutzki View Post
Smaller detail: Pienimäki now thinks that they should have included more apps in the phone right from the start, instead of letting the user download just those he needs. They were divided on this issue within the company and the "philosophical" side (let the user decide) won.
Cool...Love that approach....Compare that to the bloatware of Samsung / LG / Sony and whoever...Jolla 2 thumbs up

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to hemiwi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Do you really think many people are not using Calendar, Mail or Browser & Whatsapp?

wtf
Well, I don't know. Of the applications you cite, I regularly use the browser.

I used to have email configured on N9, but I get too many mail messages, and it would be too much of a distraction to use regularly, I prefer using a PC for that.

As for the calendar, I only check it for vacation time...

This is going to be my personal phone; I do not want work related stuff on it at all.

I think I am going to be happy with it. And many people will be as well.

Of course, if the hardware is sound, software may be improved, and your use cases could be served in a few months, as well as mine.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
The Android virus is already spreading on the Jolla store:

New: Military news: the military news App for Android offers important and breaking news for all U.S. Military departments.

Seriously? If I need to know which dictatorship to democratize next I 'll be sure to find the right App for that in the Google junk store.

Does anybody know how and why these seemingly random Android applications get headlined on the Jolla store? Is this intended or spam?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Battery life: today, with light to moderate use, my Jolla seems to be burning about 7% battery per hour

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Jolla is opening portal for co-creation during this week:

http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/19/jolla-a...alla-viikolla/

(Article again in Finnish)

Portal (together.jolla.com) is targeted for Jolla's users/customers to:
-Discuss and vote about new features they would like to see in Jolla.
-Report problems.
-Provide ideas.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
And seems that they have also opened their shop for all users (i.e. not only for pre-orders) in EU:

http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/19/jolla-a...ansa-kaikille/

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JiiHoo View Post
Jolla is opening portal for co-creation during this week:

http://mobiili.fi/2013/12/19/jolla-a...alla-viikolla/

(Article again in Finnish)

Portal (together.jolla.com) is targeted for Jolla's users/customers to:
-Discuss and vote about new features they would like to see in Jolla.
-Report problems.
-Provide ideas.
That's a very good idea indeed. Hopefully in English as well.

Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
Do you really think many people are not using Calendar, Mail or Browser & Whatsapp?

wtf
Actually there are a lot of people that do not care about mail, calendar or Whatsapp.

I mean there is webmail and sms...

It is not because you work like that, that the majority does. I know tons of people like me who don't use the calendar on the phone ever for example.

Which does not mean that they should work as good as possible of course.

Last edited by Philippe; 2013-12-19 at 12:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
A small experience write-up on my first day with the Jolla (coming from n900 comparing to it):

+ gorgeous display and vivid colours
+ fast program starts
+ phone quality
+ swipes

- UI (in-)consistence. Sometimes swipes to the left to confirm an action don't work [eg. create a new email account], instead I have to press the "save" in the upper right corner.
- phone call from a new/unsaved phone number. Saving it directly to phone book (people) will automatically use that number for "Home", can't be changed to "Mobile" but has to be done (typing) manually.
No idea what that "link" does?
- (might have not found it yet) lack of copy & paste
- the email app from the Jolla Shop automatically loads pictures for html mails, no options to disable this behavior (found).
- double tapping the screen to work with the Jolla always ends up on the start screen. I'd prefer to see the last screen I was working with.
- I'm with those that want to see connections/battery percentage on the first screen, no need to pul the info up from the bottom for that.
- android apps (only tried to install XPosed Framework with XPrivacy and Whatsapp) won't work. see
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=24
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...7&postcount=27
- maybe rather an android problem than Jolla's but I don't like to register my phone to several sites to download apps!
- the browser is not very useable to me with its UI, also where are the files I've downloaded going to? Right now I have to use "Documents App" from Jolla Store to access them. No Idea how to delete those from system though.
Landscape modus seems mandatory to me (personal preference).
Also search engines are limited to Google, Bing and Yahoo.
- battery usage is around ~7%/hour without doing anything except email check every 30 minutes automatically. No other services running in background. Looking at the screen 3x within 60 minutes for 30 seconds incl. swiping around. That's a little bit much battery drain.
- with a missed call/new email on the 1st/main screen I can't simply tap it to go open up that missed one. Have to swipe to the app and open it to see details.
- no general security options for the Sailfish OS/Alien Davik present.
- speaker should be louder for telephone calls and mobile on the ear.

At this point I'm better with my n900, though it's way slower and misses the great screen. ...and I'm with those people saying that I was not aware of a beta OS to be handed. I give Jolla credit for what they've done since the SoC change but it doesn't cut the mustard for me yet.

Last edited by RX-51; 2013-12-19 at 12:17.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to RX-51 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience