Posts: 4 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Some users at the finish user forum are reporting of increased stand by time after they removed the NFC sticker from the othet half.

Could we confirm this somehow? Is there a way to log the NFC usage?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kives For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
This is like comparing your income now and 20 years ago without adjusting for inflation. It's no longer early days for smartphones. The competition has matured and Jolla must be compared to what is out there now, not early ios, Amdroid.
well, no. At least not exactly. When iPhone came out I had P990 and it was much better device in almost every aspect. The only thing that was far superior on iPhone was browser, partly because of better and bigger display but most because it didn't rearange the page layout like P990 did. After a few weeks I switched back to P990.
Each new platform is missing something that is crucial for someone but at the same time is full of things that are completely irrelevant to someone elese.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by korppi View Post
You can get WPA EAP-PEAP and EAP-TTLS (maybe others) to work.
-Devel-mode on
-Make file /var/lib/connman/wifi-foo.config
In file add following (this is example :-) )

[service_foo]
Type=wifi
Name=wlan_ssid
EAP=peap
CACertFile=/home/nemo/ca.pem
Phase2=MSCHAPV2
Identity=user
Passphrase=password

-then in gui: settings -> wlan off -> wlan on
thank you very much. Saved my Jolla day

Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Yes, that's exactly what is missing in our current settings
Just downloaded a new system update, but still can't find additional settings in email account setup.

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Unlike alarms in Harmattan, it seems there is no auto-snooze when you just wait for the alarms to stop on Sailfish. On N9, there was like 5-6 snoozes before it finally stopped snoozing anyway.

I really liked this feature, as I was lazy enough to prefer surviving the terrible ringtone over the efforts of snoozing. I wish it will be possible on Sailfish too someday.
I have to report that I may have been wrong here. This morning, the alarm clock snoozed automatically. And actually it lasted more than 3 hours so I doubt there is a limit here.

Perhaps the other morning I thought it didn't snooze because the N9 was ringing at the same time, with a much louder ringtone.

Originally Posted by Raim View Post
Besides that, it's really bad that the clock is on the bottom of the lock screen. If you just want to check the clock, you have to fully pull it out of your pocket.
Just put the phone upside down in your pocket. That is what I always do: this way I don't need further manipulation to have it in the right orientation when in hand. If you put it "head" on top in your pocket, then you have to invert it when you put it in the pocket and when you pick it up. :/

Last edited by Kabouik; 2013-12-21 at 14:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
I used symlink to link android images to my gallery application, and it worked. After playing the phone today (I put the SD card in, did different stuff), at some point the photos had disappeared.

Now I can't make another symlink, because it already exists, so what to do? Is this known problem?

Originally Posted by jusE View Post
I used symlink to link android images to my gallery application, and it worked. After playing the phone today (I put the SD card in, did different stuff), at some point the photos had disappeared.

Now I can't make another symlink, because it already exists, so what to do? Is this known problem?
Normally a symlink gets overwritten when doing it again. Did you try to remove the old symlink?
Even a better way would be to mount a directory to another directory ... (mount --bind)

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Published an article about my first impressions about the Jolla UI on my blog today. It's in German, of course, and as usual Google doesnt do a good job translating it.

Still, here's the link:
http://oskar.twoday.net/STORIES/581437258/

Main points are:

Summary
I really, really like the UI. There's a lot of what worked well in the N9 in it, plus some new and great features on top.
I was unsure about how the UI would work in real life because some early reviewers considered "the entire UI paradigm broken", but that's just not true. It's coherent, easy and simple. On the other hand: I'm in the target group. Somebody who only wants a 1:1 replacement of his current Android phone and is not willing to follow even a 4-step-guide during setup ist probably not.

Swipes
Swiping was a great concept on the N9. I had always felt there could be more than just the few gestures Harmattan supported. Jolla gives me just what I want here.
What I love so much is how they allow fault-tolerant input when other systems require you to precisely hit a target.
I felt comfortable with all the gestures even before my first applications were installed and all accounts were configured. It became part of my muscle memory instantly.

Home Screen and Active Covers
I liked the idea of Active Covers in theory because they reminded my so much of the desktop widgets I couldn't live without during the Symbian/Fremantle days.
Funny that this was the one aspect of the UI that took me longest to get used to. Probably I'm too much into the "open applicaion, then do stuff" way of doing things now. However, if I say that it took me longer to get used to than the rest, that doesn't mean really long. It's not even two days now that I use my Jolla phone, and I'm slowly getting the hang of Active Covers and shortcuts.
Oh, and by the way: What Jolla calls "peeking" is a nice little feature. I used it from the very start.

No confirmations necessary
The fact that Jolla replaced those "Are you sure? Yes/No"-parts with simple timers is fantastic. So simple, yet so useful! I can delete something and go on with whatever I was about to do without confirming anything, without waiting, just like that. Still, I could abort the action if I wanted to. I really like that part.

Full screen in gallery etc.
I'm used to it meanwhile, but I found it irritating at first how full screen applications (document view, images, maps) don't even give a hint that you can get some controls back by tapping. I tried to swipe, activate a pulley menu,... nothing. The one tap is so simple once you know about it, but I could imagine some users getting frustrated over it.

Nothing about features, bugs, applications etc so far. I think there's so much I want to say that I'd rather write shorter articles on one topic each than one huge single review.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
WPA failed because I forgot to put the cert in the right directory ...

Last edited by gaelic; 2013-12-21 at 15:35.

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Helsinki
Just rewatched the official Jolla "Tell me about ambience" video.

In the video the voiceover tells me to swipe from the right side on home/lockscreen to enter the ambience. This doesn't work here.

Plus i can't save ANY ambience i select / crerate.

Furthermore the white ambience was only installed after i put on TOH for maybe the 5th or 6th time.

Can anybody pls confirm if swipe from right works on home?
Does somebody has the same issue of not saving ambiences?

Thx in advance

P.S.: read the http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91988 thread but i have not the same issue

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hemiwi For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience