Active Topics

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by micampe View Post
for PDFs, there is an ongoing port of evince, you might want to try it here: http://evince.garage.maemo.org/evince-devel.install

it does thumbnails and TOCs and provides easy fullscreen navigation by touching the sides of the screen (this is by your truly)

big files can still be problem tough, mainly due to memory constraints.
on my 2.2007.50-2 it produce a conflict with hildon-libs0

Posts: 56 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ San Jose, CA
yea i have the latest version of evince but the rate at which it renders thumbnails is too slow to do realtime. Maybe if evince could load all the thumbnails on launch while were viewing the first couple pages the rest could load. Memory constraints is definately an issue though.

about converting chm to html then to plucker, what would be the best workflow? I cant seem to extract the html files and convert them into anything else without losing the TOC in the process. Plus some of them are over 100mb with over 500 chapters equating to over 500 html files to convert and create a menu for... tricky i tell you.

Sai

Posts: 316 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Maryland, US
does anyone have a good way to get CHM files converted?

~thanks in advance

Well nothing has changed since the last time I commented on this. It is still extremely difficult for me to convert my textbooks to anything remotely readable on the tablet. However, If your talking about just text chm files then i'd suppose the application earlier in this thread would do the job and you can read it in microb which for the most part works relatively well.

FBreader works well with Kindle,Mobi format. You can get almost any ebook from Amazon, and they will work fine with FBreader. There is no need to go to ereader.com any more.

I also get allot of my ebooks from baen.com. Usually good prices, also.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Hargoth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 357 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Sunny England :)
@Hargoth, how do you get kindle books from amazon without a kindle? I can only see references to them being sent automatically?

I am humbled. Amazon's mp3 downloads indicate a move away from DRM.
It was a false assumption on my part, that since Kindle uses Mobi-Reader software, that the Amazon books were in .mobi format. They are not.

When I purchased several ebooks recently fro Baen, they had Mobi/Kindle as the file type. I already knew that the Kindle used MobiReader.

Amazon added a DRM specific file type (.azw) to the MobiReader that is shipped with Kindle. Its sad, and I did not realize it. Sorry for the mis-information.

Not only did they add DRM, they went to great lengths to insure that these ebooks cannot be read on any other device.

This is from the Amazon Kindle FAQ:

Q: I'm not clear on what file formats the Kindle supports and where charges apply for conversion . .?
A: (from Computerworld)The Kindle can read only four text-document file formats: .AZW (Kindle-specific), .TXT, .MOBI and .PRC. In addition, every Kindle gets its own e-mail address for receiving Amazon-converted Word, HTML, TXT, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP files for 10 cents per document. You send the original to your Kindle's address and your device receives the converted document (only e-mail addresses you authorize can send to your Kindle).

see: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-answers...fiona-hardware

For DRM-ridden e-books, the best approach at present is to buy MS LIT versions because they are easily cracked. However, this requires a Windows desktop computer. Google for "ConvertLIT GUI". Once you have stripped the DRM and "exploded" the LIT, you end up with an OEB e-book. This is HTML, IMAGES, and an .opf metafile. Open the .opf file in FBReader (e.g. under Windows), or zip up the entire set of files and rename the .zip to .oebzip. FBReader recognizes .oebzip as ZIPped OEB.

This sounds complicated, but is easier to do than to explain. The LIT format is a very thin wrapper around OEB, which is one of the richest e-book formats. So I typically download the DRM-free LIT versions from Baen and FictionWise when there is a choice (although DRM-free MobiPocket works almost as well without conversion).

Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Now Ebooks is by far the most frustrating thing and if anybody has ANYTHING to say or suggest I'll be MOST grateful. I have alot of CHM files given to me from professors w/ medical textbooks and journals that they suggest I read. Some of these have many chapters in them in addition to photos of diseases. NONE of them work in Fbreader.
The few CHMs I have tried with FBReader (e.g. software manuals) worked ok. Is there an example on the web of a CHM that failed for you?

One potential issue with FBReader is that it reads the entire document into memory and CHM e-books tend to be very large. So I have seen it fail on devices with too little swap space. If this is your problem FBReader will never return from trying to open the file or will crash. If this is the case, FBReader should work on a desktop computer (Windows or Linux). This does not help directly on a N810, but you can then try increasing the swap space.

Finally, I don't know of a good CHM conversion proceedure - but the latest Windows MobiPocket Reader is supposed to convert CHM to MOBI. This might be worth trying, because FBReader has relatively good MOBI support. However, my impression is that FBReader's CHM TOC is better than you will get from a MOBI file.

ummm ill look but most of my books are given to me by professors so i can't really legally send any links around. what happens is i click open and it opens fbreader into a blank screen. does that mean its too large and its thinking or crashed?

swap space is maxed out so that wont change things.