Poll: How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB
Poll Options
How much would you be willing to pay for a Neo900 (complete device) with TI DM3730 1GHz/512M-RAM/1GB

@joerg_rw:
Yes, it's a typo
And btw, I forgot that the GSM modem will work under closed firmware which would probably send real IMEI number anyway. (If I understand you correctly the IMEI number will be hard-written inside the GSM modem)

Last edited by omicron; 2014-01-03 at 23:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to omicron For This Useful Post:
what's the news on packet injection support?
and what wifi chipset is there gonna be on the neo900?

Anyway, it sounds really interesting, I'm gonna support this!
Don't mind blowing new life into my beloved n900

Originally Posted by spazi View Post
and what wifi chipset is there gonna be on the neo900?
The same question was asked on page 28 and answered on page 29:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=282

The topic also popped up in the middle of page 70:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=694

and was mentioned on page 81:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=804

The exact same question was asked on page 93 (including the question about package injection):

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=929

and immediately answered by joerg:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=930

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to josch1337 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
please see http://projects.goldelico.com/p/neo900/issues/546/ - but PLEASE don't abuse the tracker as a forum, by posting unevaluated suggestions or even questions there, it's NOT meant for that sort of chat. Thanks!

/j

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany, Wolfenbuettel
Oh yes!

<quote>
Part Number: TiWi5 / 450-0053
Features: IEEE 802.11 a,b,g,n,d,e,i, compliant, Bluetooth 1.1, 1.2,
2.0+EDR and 2.1+EDR 3.0 and 4.0, BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and ANT,
Power Class 1.5
Dimensions: 18 mm x 13 mm x 1.9mm
</quote>

ANT!

and BT4/BLE!

IEEE 802.11 a,b,g,n
<-2.4 + 5GHz? (needs two antennas) Or only 2.4? <- obviously

IEEE 802.11 i
<- as I understand: WPA2
<- does this mean: including WPA2 Enterprise?
<- does this mean: Hotspot could perhaps offer also WPA2?

1.9mm
<- not too thick?

By the way:
if i use openvpn it eats much battery and heats a little up. Is there some chipbased possibility for supporting this de-/encoding-tasks?

/cc

Last edited by chrischras; 2014-01-06 at 17:15.

Originally Posted by chrischras View Post
By the way:
if i use openvpn it eats much battery and heats a little up. Is there some chipbased possibility for supporting this de-/encoding-tasks?
/cc
AFAICT there is no mobile platform that supports this, and even if there were the encryption would need to be tied back into kernel hardware drivers. Whether on my iPad, N900, or iPhone, battery life with VPN is just terrible.

OpenSSL (OpenVPN/Linux) and PolarSSL (OpenVPN on iOS) apparently both use hardware crypto acceleration if its available, but battery life on OpenVPN is still poor. Who knows how well tested/investigated crypto acceleration is for OpenVPN on these platforms...

My wider point is this seems to be an unsolved issue, so keep your expectations in-check.

Last edited by wumpwoast; 2014-01-06 at 17:58.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
I just tried my netbook vga port with a large moniter it was awsome like a regular display so why on earth people are going crazy for hdmi ?
Because it is almost impossible to get sharp output at 1920x1080 over VGA. I tried everything, DVI/HDMI was the right solution.

Originally Posted by Paul Ortyl View Post
Because it is almost impossible to get sharp output at 1920x1080 over VGA. I tried everything, DVI/HDMI was the right solution.
Well, sorry, but the Neo900 probably can't support 1920*1080 ;-)
We are happy with 720progressive with a decent framerate (wgich the 3630 @ 1GHz should be able to do OOTB, unlike original N900 which needs overclocking for that afaik)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Paul Ortyl View Post
Apart from obvious uselessness of 1920x1080 for Neo900 - no, it is *not*. I've done it *many* times on many different combinations of hardware, and 1920x1080 (and even higher, special-case resolutions!) are working flawlessly through VGA. It doesn't even require special cables (just normal, properly shielded one, the 3$ kind).

You *may* run into problems, if you hardware manufacturer limited resolution achievable by VGA output *on purpose* (or limited max VGA resolution input on TV/monitor - less common, but happens, too) - but, then, sent complains to your HW manufacturer, about "planned obsolescence".

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Alas Nikolaus (the one of us both with experience on manufacturing side of the whole process) nuked my high-flying plans about that golden connector belt. Can't be done on usual affordable production process. We might be able to provide some ultra low profile connectors there for you to mill a breakout to the case spacer frame (the 2.x millimeter thing) so you could plug in something like e.g. VGA, so VGA is not entirely off the table yet. Cradle charging via pogopins however most likely is.
Sorry ;´(

/j

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-06 at 23:41.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo900, thank you!