Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Trackaway now works perfectly - it starts the gps and gets a fix just fine, just as all other gps apps do.

It was only right after installing that it refused to start the gps (no flashing icon in task area) until I brought the gps up with gpsjinni. Then it stopped and started the gps as it should, and continued to do so afterwards without using gpsjinni.

Altitude is always vastly less accurate than horizontal position all else being equal, and that's inherent to the gps system.

If I would start gpsjinni or gpsdata first, I get the fix immediately for these apps, but when I start trackaway (without closing gpsjinni) still no fix, i.e. the list of satellites is empty. So besides not starting the gps, it seems the app cannot take the data from the already available gps if started by other app, which might explain maybe the problem?

Originally Posted by yrannadx View Post
If ... but when I start tfreer and then reinstall?ackaway (without closing gpsjinni) still no fix, i.e. the list of satellites is empty. So besides not starting the gps, it seems the app cannot take the data from the already available gps ....
That's pretty definitive. And peculiar. I guess you have tried "apt-get purge trackawayfree" and then a reinstall?

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Reinstalling didn't help, however it seems I found a workaround and this is to disable the initialize gps at startup and then manually turn gps on from gps page after starting the app. This is quite ok for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to yrannadx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by yrannadx View Post
... this is to disable the initialize gps at startup and then manually turn gps on from gps page after starting the app.
Oh, I was doing that anyhow, never tried the auto-start (generally never do in any of the gps progs - control freak I guess :-).

Will test and report back.

Trackaway is a very good hiking gps program, I must say. The only thing I would like is the ability to take a waypoint without having to enable tracking. Sometimes one has such a use case.

Any chance for an updated version. V. 2.1.5 published on the home site but no maemo deb :-(

Tnx

Last edited by handaxe; 2014-06-20 at 14:24.

BTW: I cannot turn off waypoint icons, when waypoints are enabled on the table. Labels can be removed but not icons and the latter are real space hogs being one, large size. V2.1.3.

Does this work for anyone?

@handaxe
take it easy... Willy has already notified me about that version, but since i had no time to prepare that and changelog of 2.1.5 contains notes about translations and a few fixes for the android build, i think it's not so critical for maemo.
The version 2.1.3_rev542x for maemo contains already all the functions and fixes of version 2.1.4.

Concerning waypoints.. What? Sorry, please explain it better.

Last edited by xes; 2014-06-20 at 14:49. Reason: more details

Originally Posted by xes View Post
take it easy...

Concerning waypoint.. What? Sorry, please explain it better.
I was taking it easy - the announcement mentioned a build for maemo and I saw there was none, so.... I wondered..

The waypoint issue: if one has a track with waypoints and "Draw Waypoints" is enabled in the "Table Display" option screen, then the waypoints always display with waypoint icons. One should be able to choose between "Draw Waypoint Icons" and "Draw Waypoint Names" (or have both) in the "option screen. Just the choice of "Draw Waypoint Names" works for me; I cannot remove the icons (red inverted teardrop).