Active Topics

So much innovation in hardware may be. In software? You don't often see it being rapid when coming from manufacturers.

The Following User Says Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Would be great if Jolla's next phone used a chipset from a FOSS friendly manufacturer.

Richard

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
I know why most manufacturers don't try Jolla: they don't get enough opportunities to make money with it. As manufacturer you want to squeeze every penny out of your customers. Why don't Nexus and Apple include extendable sd-memory? "Oh yeah, we have a special offer if you buy the phone: a 20GB dropbox account for just $10 a year!"
Why did Apple come with a new connector? Because it can be pushed in upside down also (did we want that?). "With your new iPhone you get a discount on the new cable: just $20 instead of $30!!"

Right....
That's probably the problem with Jolla: manufacturers doesn't have the power to squeeze out their customers. Is that a bad thing? Well, consider this: do you want a multimillion-dollar company to decide to get as much information from you as they want? You will have the opportunity to don't let them: don't use their products.
Do you want a manufacturer to decide things for you or do you want to have the opportunities yourself?

Call me grumpy, but the way ethics are treated isn't something to close your eyes for...
If we do, we will accept things as normal. An example: I'm used to seeing advertisements when going to the movies. "Wait, what?" I pay for advertisements? That's just crazy, but it's generally accepted, it's not if I'd have an option. That system is "sick" (imho).

Think about it and share what you think with us...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by robnas View Post
I know why most manufacturers don't try Jolla: they don't get enough opportunities to make money with it. As manufacturer you want to squeeze every penny out of your customers. Why don't Nexus and Apple include extendable sd-memory? "Oh yeah, we have a special offer if you buy the phone: a 20GB dropbox account for just $10 a year!"
Why did Apple come with a new connector? Because it can be pushed in upside down also (did we want that?). "With your new iPhone you get a discount on the new cable: just $20 instead of $30!!"

Right....
That's probably the problem with Jolla: manufacturers doesn't have the power to squeeze out their customers. Is that a bad thing? Well, consider this: do you want a multimillion-dollar company to decide to get as much information from you as they want? You will have the opportunity to don't let them: don't use their products.
Do you want a manufacturer to decide things for you or do you want to have the opportunities yourself?

Call me grumpy, but the way ethics are treated isn't something to close your eyes for...
If we do, we will accept things as normal. An example: I'm used to seeing advertisements when going to the movies. "Wait, what?" I pay for advertisements? That's just crazy, but it's generally accepted, it's not if I'd have an option. That system is "sick" (imho).

Think about it and share what you think with us...
I think it has more to do with the restrictive Open Handset Alliance rules that prevent them from doing what Jolla does with Android.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Mwc would be the perfect place to break the news that Jolla working on second jPhone. I would imagine that sales per day is very low now days at jStore.

I'm waiting for the news...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Mwc would be the perfect place to break the news that Jolla working on second jPhone. I would imagine that sales per day is very low now days at jStore.

I'm waiting for the news...
better is to spend more time for the software and not hardware. Hope there show us more like software and the other half extensions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by cvp View Post
better is to spend more time for the software and not hardware. Hope there show us more like software and the other half extensions
While I agree with you. Software doesn't give any direct income for jolla. Without new hw it's like put all the money on red and then lose.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-01-30 at 10:25.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
The phone is value for money and buying it gives you access to the common hardware platform to develop and evaluate software and firmware.

Not only that buying the Jolla company hardware keeps Jolla going. Hopefully Jolla will get the present Qualcomm blobs unlocked and failing that there is now enough time to plan a future model that is blob free and could be certified by the FSF as being FOSS compliant. That, post Snowden, is an important USP.

Richard

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardski For This Useful Post:
It seems to me that jolla isn't working on a new phone so if we want a another jPhone 2014 an external partner must step in.

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-02-05 at 21:27.

In my view at the moment the best hw that supports sailfishos is the jolla phone. Without sales of the current device, jolla will go bust and there should be certainly no second device.

do you consider the sailfish ports to n9 or nexus performing better than the jolla phone?