Active Topics

Posts: 149 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Istanbul,Turkey
Amazing news , congratz Jolla !

The Following User Says Thank You to trayhoper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
It's great news - but it seems to me that there is still a big gap between the working functionality of the OS we have today and one that is "commercially ready" and "a truly viable option for all smartphone users"

I'll be ecstatic if they've fixed everything, but sadly I'm sceptical.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
It's great news - but it seems to me that there is still a big gap between the working functionality of the OS we have today and one that is "commercially ready" and "a truly viable option for all smartphone users"

I'll be ecstatic if they've fixed everything, but sadly I'm sceptical.
That said the builds we got seemed quite far behind what Jolla themselves were using, The first time that we seen the wireless hack by Jolla themselves in the pictures their Jolla phone already had 4G support.

The builds they were could have been months ahead to what public got.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Banja Luka
First I must say that I am glad for Jolla and their progress.
But as I see it, there is not much for us who bought jollaphone.
Angry birds TOH, and cloud support are not big deal...
Where is the hardware keyboard? Where are the other useful TOH which are made from Jolla. And 30€ for black plastic is just to much.
In some way I feel like I threw my money. I could buy Nexus 4 and have great hardware, two OS and still save 150€.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Jolla but I have this feeling that I could do better with my money.

The Following User Says Thank You to gabriel9 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I have to say that I don't understand this move. Does this mean that Jolla doesn't believe in their HW bussines?
My guess is they never did and never will. Their first and unique goal is Sailfish OS. Manufacturers and brands could switch from Android to Sailfish, but they must see an actual device running it and having relative success. Jolla phone is that device.

If that goal is achieved and some important brands move to Sailfish, I guess no more Jollas will be launched.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Banja Luka
Originally Posted by mced View Post
My guess is they never did and never will. Their first and unique goal is Sailfish OS. Manufacturers and brands could switch from Android to Sailfish, but they must see an actual device running it and having relative success. Jolla phone is that device.

If that goal is achieved and some important brands move to Sailfish, I guess no more Jollas will be launched.
That could also explain mine concerns.

Posts: 951 | Thanked: 2,344 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Jolla girls @ MWC

http://instagram.com/jollagirls
seem to be the same ones from previous MWC.
I know I will be stereotyping
But I don't quite get the use of attractive girls like that. Geeks/men into tech are less likely to approach them to ask question than just admire them from afar.

I could be wrong

This is not a consumer fair, it's a business fair. And business men can handle pretty girls

The Following User Says Thank You to Morpog For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
I have to say that I don't understand this move. Does this mean that Jolla doesn't believe in their HW bussines? Even if they will be selling images for 100€ people could then still get much better HW for 400€ or little more.
Of course, it depends on which devices are supported but still......
Or is this just initial move to spread sailfish but it won't be practice later? But in that case a lot of people will be dissapointed later and they will switch back, especially if Jolla HW will still be subpar. After all, ridiculous HW specs are what made samsung what it is, touchwiz for sure didn't.
AFAIK the longer plan has been push sailfish to big manufactors. A small company like jolla has no damn chance compete with big players on HW since big players has the cash. Jolla has not. Same for canonical.

The fight now is between Jolla and Canonical. Question is can any of them convince big players they'r OS is the one to license...

Right now it seems more knows about canonical than Jolla related to MWC atleast. I hope Jolla can change that coming days....

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-02-23 at 15:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"