Active Topics

There is lot of anticipation about the new update. I would prefer to have the update whenever is ready rather than having a buggy release. Those who develop s/w know this very well.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
There is lot of anticipation about the new update. I would prefer to have the update whenever is ready rather than having a buggy release. Those who develop s/w know this very well.
like you had a choice

i heard that reason so many times it will never be ready. Just release once a week.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-12 at 16:59.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
To answer your question, your homescreen has to know about WiFi state to be able to present you with information about it. That's why they're related.

As to why this is problematic, well, there's a combination of a few things going on. (YMMV, I'm summarising things from memory and I didn't actively work on this much myself)

Problem number one is that connectivity is a little more resource intensive than it needs to be right now. That's already fixed in the pending update. Problem number two is that peeking toggles the connection indicators on the homescreen, which causes a cascade of effects to mess around with touch interaction:

- peeking toggles the connection indicator on the homescreen
- this causes a bunch of synchronous dbus traffic, and disk writes
- this blocks the GUI thread of the homescreen for a little too long
- this causes evdev's kernel-side ring buffer to overflow, causing touch state to get lost in an undefined, bad place when the GUI thread finally does resume.

The situation should be improving with (near) future updates.
Wow!

Consider me suitably grateful/impressed for this timely, information-packed and highly useful response. Thank you very much, w00t!

Having a basic understanding of why this happening makes it much, much easier to accept that it is happening, even if I'm still in the same position of waiting for the (pending) update.

Again: thank you. You've topped up my faith & hope

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
@Dave999
I know I do not have a choice, but equally so this discussion goes to the other end. I wish Jolla was providing a little more info about the state of the update.

Once a week is too often, I prefer once a month or so, but this particular one going from beta to stable is has something extra ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Valid point, but be sure not to confuse developer bug-squashing reality with consumer usability concern anxiety reality. They are two different and conflicting realities, and both must be taken into consideration at all times. I'm not saying "rush the update", but I am saying "feed info to those who are anxiously waiting"...

...which w00t just did. If I wore a hat, I would tip it to him & Jolla right about now.

I will now go back to [more patiently] waiting for the update.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
@Dave999
I know I do not have a choice, but equally so this discussion goes to the other end. I wish Jolla was providing a little more info about the state of the update.

Once a week is too often, I prefer once a month or so, but this particular one going from beta to stable is has something extra ;-)
I hear You But I dont understand what you aiming for. Beta is just a name nothing that indicate anything. Manage your expectation...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-12 at 17:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
So, the best, still unlikely, possibility is, that Jolla can convince Qualcom to release new binary drivers
LOL no one would beleive that would happen. Qualcom listen to a small startup is like saying world peace is coming soon

Especially Microsoft and Google would love the idea "Hey, qualcom thanks for supporting Jolla and open source movement even if we support your SoC in our closed source OS:es" NOT

Now back to reality...

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2014-03-12 at 18:10.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
LOL I dont
Also , I dont need ICQ
Yes you need IRQ but there already is plenty of them on the SoC

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
LOL no one would beleive that would happen. Qualcom listen to a small startup is like saying world peace is coming soon
Sidetracking a bit, Broadcom already started doing that with the Raspi and other systems. Hope they all follow suite (or politiicians force them). Funny how ARM is an "open" architecture and yet everything else is closed, while Intel provides open source drivers for their systems.

Drivers are overrated...focus on sail release 1.o plz?

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-03-12 at 18:32.

Tags
"soon", "sooner", "when?"