Active Topics

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Whoa, that would be great! If ad-hoc is working fine, then, AFAIK, we can consider packet injection modules as fully working replacement for vanilla wifi drivers, and stop that mumbo-jumbo with loading and unloading in all aircrack-ng frontends/implementations. Not to mention another thing crossed from list of closed bits.

/Estel
whilst tesing for pali then it may be worth checking power consumption between stock and packet injection modules for everyday us.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
I actually started testing this while on train and hoped to report ASAP, but somehow, I managed to screw installation and I'm stuck on u-boot console with:
Code:
Booting attached kernel image...
Wrong Image Format, for bootm command
ERROR: can't get kernel image!
... for now. Which is quite strange, as I've installed all packages from Pali's link:
Code:
kernel-power-bootimg_2.6.28-10power53_armel.deb
kernel-power-flasher_2.6.28-10power53_armel.deb
kernel-power-modules_2.6.28-10power53_armel.deb
kernel-power-settings_0.18_armel.deb
kernel-power_2.6.28-10power53_armel.deb
...and run u-boot-update-bootmenu, which seemed to create bootmenu.scr without any errors. Probably just "clumsy me" and off-topic here *shrugs*, but I must postpone testing until i dig out (long forgotten, never managed to screw u-boot powered kernel installation before, eh) info on how to recover from that situation.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

This looks like damaged uboot mtd as uboot is not able to boot attached kernel. BTW, if you did not create custom combined uboot image, than attached image is not kp53...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
For the record - I've answered in u-boot thread:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=756
...as it's OT here and I don't want to clutter kernel-power thread.
---

As for new wifi modules - I can (happily) report that ad-hoc wifi seems to be working perfectly fine now Apart from obvious lack of device reboot on trying to establish ad-hoc network, I was able to set-up one, connect to it from laptop, and share N900's cellular internet access through it. Same thing worked in reverse.

Here good news end, though. As for power consumption, I did some tests - with everything disabled, screen locked and wifi ON but *not* connected to anything, power draw is the same for vanilla and injection modules. But, with device connected to managed network (access point) but idle (no VoIP accounts, no ssh, no anything) with vanilla drivers, device use ~15-20 mA. The same situation for injection modules results in ~200 mA current draw

During heavy network usage and/or ad-hoc, vanilla and injection modules result in roughly the same power draw, so I suppose that some powersaving during idle is still lacking in replacement modules. This gives biiig regression re standby time, so using them instead of vanilla ones all the time doesn't seem to be such a good idea YET, after all

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Ok, thank you for testing ad-hoc networks, its good to know that ad-hoc mode is working now.

When I'm using packet injection modules I see error messages about power save mode in dmesg. So this looks like problem...

You can try to enable/disable power save mode via:
$ sudo iwconfig wlan0 power on
(or off)

Anyway we still need to test if packet injection function still working. Patches which fixing ad-hoc mode probably disabling packet injection support when adapter is in ad-hoc mode. But this needs to be confirmed first...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Just a reminder to anyone volounteering to test it - don't trust aircrack-ng's injection test, I vaguely remember it lying that injection is working even, when it wasn't. Test it on actual (your own) WEP access point.

I would do the test myself, but I've, actually, purged everything WEP-related from my open-wrt powered router, and no WEP network in scanning range anymore, here (not that I would test it on someone's other network without their permission, of course ). So, i must skip this test in someone's else favor.

/Estel

// Edit

BTW, any changelog for kernel-power-settings18?
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Last edited by Estel; 2014-05-11 at 11:47.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
BTW, any changelog for kernel-power-settings18?
It is in DEB package :-) But if you cannot unpack AR & TAR.GZ archive here it is. Just small changes:

Code:
  * start upstart script after mounting /home and /opt
  * upstart kernel-modules file is service

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Mira (Venice) - Italy
where I can find the changelog for kp53?

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Vento View Post
where I can find the changelog for kp53?
by scrolling up all the way to #219.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
by scrolling up all the way to #219.
Or just like that:
http://www.google.com/search?q=kerne...+v53+changelog
Keep trying ...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
kernel, kernel-power, kernel-power52