Active Topics

I bought an 810 about two weeks ago, but I was about to return it as the default Email IMAP program simply doesn't work. I just found this:

http://modest.garage.maemo.org/

It worked great! Within two minutes, it was downloaded, installed, configured, and checking email.

I definitely have not tried everything. But hyperlinks in email messages worked and opened the web browser. Opening and closing messages was fast and easy.

It appears to access GMail folders fine. And GMail was already a configured service provider. All you had to do was select POP or IMAP (of course you need to have the matching setting on your GMail account).

I'm happy to be keeping this device now. My plan is to ditch my Treo and use the n810 in conjunction with an ultra-small phone. In order to do that, I needed email. Sweet!

Last edited by apwallace; 2008-02-14 at 22:11.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I just upgraded from an N800 to an N810 and where I NEVER used my old device for email now I do it all the time. Modest is definitely a better client than the built in one, this will eventually replace the built in client on the IT and you will notice that it interacts with your contacts and the LED light. It does have some small issues, if you want a more powerful but slower client then check into Claws-Mail.

There is a thread discussing modest here

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...050#post132050

The Following User Says Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
so is modest working well with Gmail IMAP now??

Has been for some time. It's showed up in some other threads. I've been using it almost a month.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Modest has been working for quite some time, and AFAIK, the only real annoyance is how tapping on a mailto: link in a web page will trigger the default mail client to compose the mail instead of Modest.

I've since gone back to accessing Gmail via POP (saves me from deleting messages accidentally anyway) and have been happy with the built-in mail client ever since.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The built-in client seems to download my GMail message headers via IMAP, but I can't seem to open any of the e-mails to read the body. Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Originally Posted by qole View Post
The built-in client seems to download my GMail message headers via IMAP, but I can't seem to open any of the e-mails to read the body. Is this a known bug, or am I doing something wrong?
Nothing you did wrong. It doesn't play well with Google's IMAP.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
OK, I seem to have the best solution. I have the built-in e-mail client set up with my Google IMAP account. That way, I get flashy LEDs and App Menu notices when I get a new e-mail. But I have installed Modest and it works great for actually reading my mail. I'm happy. Now I can get rid of the webmail notifier in my status bar. It was hogging a much-needed slot.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Modest provides LED notification and window alerts for me without needing to configure anything else.

I think you're right, when I click on the window alert, Modest starts up. So I guess Modest is running in the background now? Is it running as well as the old email client, or instead of it?