Notices

Hi,

I just compiled unison for OS2008. Please find it at

http://www.ws.chemie.tu-muenchen.de/...57-3_armel.deb

Cheers

[Edit]
Unison is a file synchronization program. It is used for synchronizing files between two directories, either on one computer, or between a computer and another storage device (e.g. another computer, or a removable disc). It runs on Unix-like operating systems (including Linux, Mac OS X, and Solaris), as well as on Windows.

Last edited by scg; 2008-03-07 at 21:17. Reason: file updated

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Penniless Park, Fla.
- tks! this is a good idea and can save some cabling time and card swapping!

- however, i now have more free storage space on my n800 than i do my laptop!

:-)

Wikipedia to the rescue...

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Wikipedia to the rescue...
Nice, except it says it is no longer being developed

I have been using rsync for some time now (which is pre-installed on both the N800, MacOS X, and Linux). I am curious how Unison deals with binary files (since it only copies the differing parts, rather than the entire file).

Craig...

Originally Posted by cvmiller View Post
Nice, except it says it is no longer being developed
Craig...
Don't diminsh his effort like that. Its not as though he offered us a packkage for VisiCalc or Warcraft I.

Unison is awesome! It is 'finished' so there's no need for development. It just works! Its not like Open Office or some other huge project needing features.

I've recently compiled it on Scientific Linux-- a trouble free exercise.

It inherits the power of rsync. That's where the magic is. And it is still in active denelopment. Now, if rsync 3 breaks Unison, then many of us will have an interest in fixing it.

PJ

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Ottawa
Fair enough. Didn't mean to offend.

How does it deal with the 'diffs' of binary files?

Craig...

The Following User Says Thank You to cvmiller For This Useful Post:
Way to go for compiling & packaging Unison -- very much appreciated! However, on my N800 / OS2008 box, the .deb above works great for synchronizing local folders (ex. "unison a.tmp b.tmp" - perfect!); but when I synchronize with a remote folder: "unison a.tmp ssh://jon@wherever.edu/a.tmp" (same version of Unison on server), I get a segfault ("Segmentation Fault."). Any ideas? Do I need a different version of SSH on my N800 or something?
-Jon

Posts: 566 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Tallahassee, FL
is that how ssh folders/files should be addressed? I think you probably wanted something more like

unison a.tmp servername:/path/to/b.tmp

...and then ssh (or, technically, scp) would ask for the password for the username on that (the destination) machine...

Last edited by briand; 2008-03-07 at 15:28. Reason: eeek! a speeeling errrorrr.

hmmh, I usually use unison from the server, but the addressing is ok and I get segfaults on N810 and in the scratchbox as well.

Workaround is to start unison from the server.

As far as I remember there was an issue with ocaml compilation for arm. I'll look into it.

[Edit]: I have uploaded a byte compiled version which does not segfault. Unfortunately the footprint is a little bigger. The link in post #1 is updated

Last edited by scg; 2008-03-07 at 21:20.

Thanks so much! The updated version works perfectly via SSH on my N800!

In reply to post #8 above -- thanks for the tip! But the command as I quoted it above is copied from the Unison manual, and works fine between my desktop and the server. There may well be another way of addressing an ssh host, but this is the way the Unison manual recommends doing it.

Thanks again for the recompiled package!

Best,
Jon