Active Topics

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by titilambert View Post
Thanks ! to confirm it ! But In the true life, with an other phone like galaxy S5 or other nexus 5 how does it work ?
Cause for now, with the jolla device, I found the usage of 4g not really usefull ...
2G/3G and LTE (4G) cant co-exist in the way that when on 4G it is not possible to use phone for calls.
This is a limitation of the LTE/4G and was also the problem that caused Apple to not release support for LTE in all countries simultaniously. They first wanted to confirm that the networks supported fall-back to 2G/3G from 4G in order to use the phone for calls.
So, this is in no way a Jolla specific issue, or can be considered a bug of the Jolla. Simple as that.
So, if your network provider does not support fall-back in their network, you will have issues.

http://lteworld.org/ltefaq/what-cs-fallback-lte

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
But then: why does it connect to 4G while being successfully connected to WLAN? Is there any sense in that?

Some other glitches i noticed after the update:

Android apps lose GPS fix when in background. This is totally annoying, because tracking is now impossible.

Before the update 2.7G were used, now 7.3G are used... WTF?
I think it's because /home/nemo/android_storage is mounted to /dev/fuse, but i have all android data on the sdcard, which is now mounted back to the device... any workaround for that?

... and a minor annoyance: reboot now must be called as root.

apart from that, 4G is great, especially, because here are many areas, where is no 3G and very low 2G, but full 4G reception

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by EyeVisions View Post
Hello all.

Seems that after the update mine Other Half ambience doesn't download the pakket from the store anymore. This happen with al mine other halfs. Before the update i reset the mine foon and did a clean install. On the first 2 firmwares the problem is the same i tried it also. Anyone have the same problem or is it just me?
I had the same problem few months ago after the Paarlampi (1.0.5.19) update.

Only thing that fixed it was that I did a factory reset and then slowly installed all the updates

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
But then: why does it connect to 4G while being successfully connected to WLAN? Is there any sense in that?
Well, it can use dual-connection to my knowledge (for data), which is something certain other manufacturers users envey for a long time, until a more recent update of a certain iOS

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by titilambert View Post
Thanks ! to confirm it ! But In the true life, with an other phone like galaxy S5 or other nexus 5 how does it work ?
Cause for now, with the jolla device, I found the usage of 4g not really usefull ...
As for Samsung/whatever handling of 4G, it is subject to exactly the same rules as Jolla is:
  • 4G is only for packet data, no CS voice possible. (but PS voice in the future possible, when networks are updated to it)
  • For CS calls to work, 2G/3G fallback has to be implemented in the network, which makes device roam to CS enabled network when a call is incoming.
  • It is up to the network provider to handle these, device itself cannot do much about it.

Jolla is true in showing with the network icon that the device has switched to 3G/2G during the call.
If Samsung shows something different, it is faking it for the user's benefit.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
As for Samsung/whatever handling of 4G, it is subject to exactly the same rules as Jolla is:
  • 4G is only for packet data, no CS voice possible. (but PS voice in the future possible, when networks are updated to it)
  • For CS calls to work, 2G/3G fallback has to be implemented in the network, which makes device roam to CS enabled network when a call is incoming.
  • It is up to the network provider to handle these, device itself cannot do much about it.

Jolla is true in showing with the network icon that the device has switched to 3G/2G during the call.
VOLTE, can it be use by upgrading the software only?

Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Well, it can use dual-connection to my knowledge (for data), which is something certain other manufacturers users envey for a long time, until a more recent update of a certain iOS
Sounds good but it also connects to 4G, when mobile network is disabled. I don't see any sense in that, as you said, 4G is only for mobile network. Do i miss something here or is this a bug / useless behaviour?

Edit: it seems, i'm not the only one wondering about this:
https://together.jolla.com/question/...data-disabled/

Last edited by Leinad; 2014-06-11 at 10:32.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post

It's not fake. They just showing you how its Done. Sony also change status.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-06-11 at 10:29.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
It's not fake. They just showing you how its Done. Sony also change status.
Fake, not fake, its all a matter of wording, but, as Juiceme corectly state. Our Jolla is showing the TRUE state. Please read the link that I reffered to in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=81 for a describtion on how LTE/fallback is working (where it is working (=supported by carriers))

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Fake, not fake, its all a matter of wording, but, as Juiceme corectly state. Our Jolla is showing the TRUE state. Please read the link that I reffered to in http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...3&postcount=81 for a describtion on how LTE/fallback is working (where it is working (=supported by carriers))
I'm pretty sure Samsung also drops to H icon when calling. So what are you all on about
about?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
party