Active Topics

I'm wondering if the culprit could be the way I use the tablet.

When not at home on my own wireless connection, I just toss the thing into my bag.

I *had* had the connectivity settings (through the icon) set to 'search interval: 5 minutes'.

Maybe the drain was PlayThing looking for a connection every 5 minutes, then?

I don't know how draining that would be on the batteries, though... .

I've just changed the 'search interval' to 'never'. Manually starting the connectivity search isn't a terrible task. I'm going out for a few hours tonight. Maybe I'll bring PlayThing with me and see if the battery gets drained or stays the same with the present settings.

Sorry, camaroer87 - this doesn't help you at all for your immediate problem.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by camaroer87 View Post
Mine worked yesterday, but the battery was draining really fast, now it won't turn on either.
Nothing. How am I supposed to flash it if it wont turn on?
It sounds like two problems. Can you test the battery voltage?
If it has the power-on problem, then it may not charge.
When you plug in the charger, you should see the blue LED.
If not, let it cool. Or put it in the fridge. Use a plastic bag to
stop it getting condensation when you take it out.

so that the computer can recognize it? Yes I have left it in the charger, but no battery charging picture comes up. It worked for a little bit this morning after I left the battery out over night.

It booted, but there was no battery icon, so I shut it off.
Bad move. Once you have it on, plug in the charger. Never turn it off again :-) Or at least until we get the promised software fix.

Now I just have it sitting here plugged in.
Unplug, cool it, and try again to charge.
HTH

I generally don't turn it off now. I'm used to charging my palm overnight anyways, so I'm used to charging everyday.

To reboot I use a script as root. So my n800 is never off, and I always put it on charge when possible. It runs like a dream now.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
I generally don't turn it off now.
Maybe now... but maybe couple days later you'll be tempted to turn it off...

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Madison, WI
This happened to me a bunch of times, until one day I couldn't revive it at all, despite all the tricks. I returned it and bought a new one.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by cyberbillp View Post
...To reboot I use a script as root.... It runs like a dream now.

That is exactly what I have been doing till the "fix" available. It is the best one can do out of a bad situation. No offense, just my own 2cents, pls stop telling me you can always return it, I know, I just cannot stand a day without my tablet

bun

Hiho... i had the same problem with my n800 after 3 days...

my SOLUTION:

I couldnt turn it on... it either didnt start or it runs in a loop.. Nokia Logo blackscreen and so on...

Then i charged it with my Nokia6500-charger, and its working!!

...i dont know why, but hey, the original N800-charger looks cheap anyway...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Some people in this thread seem to have made the perilous mistake of taking the battery status symbol seriously. When the battery status says "almost full", it means "this battery is going down soon, baby!"

I have made the mistake of looking at the battery status bar and concluding I had plenty of juice and WAY LESS THAN FIVE MIN|UTES LATER I had to stop a Skype call because I was getting the low battery warning. Fortunately, I always have a full battery waiting in the wings.

(By the way, the "low battery" signal is also very unreliable. I was once jogging and about to take the branch of the run that makes it a seven mile loop. Then I got the "low battery" signal so I swerved off to finish a shorter run--I didn't want to jog without my sounds! To my surprise, the mp3s I was listening to were still going strong by the time I finished.)

The moral: just because you think you've got lots of juice left in your battery doesn't make it so. And many of these problems are caused by a low battery -- and I wonder if sometimes the quality of the electrical connection where you plug in to recharge also plays a role.

Mi new one apparently ran out of power today. Guess what, no boot up.

The fridge trick finally got it to power up. Battery was very low. It's recharging now (while turned on).

Will it just get so dead that the battery-charging screen / blue light won't turn on? It spent the day with the screen & keys locked and so it should have gone to standby. Are there any standby settings I can play with to save power?

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by matsch View Post
I couldnt turn it on... it either didnt start or it runs in a loop.. Nokia Logo blackscreen and so on...
Obviously (in hindsight) just caused by a flat battery then.
My charger is exactly the same as the one for my 6120 phone.