Notices

Originally Posted by gsever100 View Post
I am planning to take off for a long bike ride starting in about a month. A fast/reliable mapping app is almost a must for me. I downloaded map tiles manually for my approximate route within Mappero using Google Maps/Satellite and Terrain options to a quite detailed level. Offline mode is quite reliable so far. I need to get a couple extra batteries to keep the phone going. Not planning to record the whole trip, just use the phone as a navigation device.
Yeah, I use mappero like that too and it works, only GPS drains the battery a lot (without using GPS and with GSM connection turned off, the phone lasts several days on one battery). Navit is good for driving (and it would not be so slow if you downloaded just the maps you need provided you do not go for a year-long trip), but I preffer mappero if it is me who is going to do the navigation and not the computer.

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sup View Post
Yeah, I use mappero like that too and it works, only GPS drains the battery a lot (without using GPS and with GSM connection turned off, the phone lasts several days on one battery). Navit is good for driving (and it would not be so slow if you downloaded just the maps you need provided you do not go for a year-long trip), but I preffer mappero if it is me who is going to do the navigation and not the computer.
Yep, I will not record the whole track. Will check the GPS just for navigation purposes. I tested leaving GPS on and recording it, but the phone dies in a matter of hours. Otherwise like you said, which 1-2 days lasting phone and 2-3 extra batteries look good for me so far, since probably I will come to stop points to recharge the batteries. I don't need driving directions. The track overlay option in mappero is quite enough for me. Then I will make sure to follow the track or at least not get too far off

The Following User Says Thank You to gsever100 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bzzz View Post
Well, I would to some bug-fixing myself, but I am unable to compile the deb from sources. It seems especially hard at the moment, as some dev sources aren't available because of the ongoing repository relocation. If anyone can help me in compiling that thing, I'm willing to work on it...
Still don't have a clue how to compile that thing. And I haven't received a single package update for months (nor any new stuff in repository). Am I missing something, or is the N900 development dead?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bzzz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bzzz View Post
Still don't have a clue how to compile that thing. And I haven't received a single package update for months (nor any new stuff in repository). Am I missing something, or is the N900 development dead?
To my eyes, more or less yes, navit from bokomoko is updated about once a month and some work is being done on csthumb and cssu, AFAIK. the phone still works for me though.

The Following User Says Thank You to sup For This Useful Post:
Has anybody else noticed that Mappero / Maemo Mapper's routing option doesn't work anymore?

Is there any workaround?

Originally Posted by Xagoln View Post
Has anybody else noticed that Mappero / Maemo Mapper's routing option doesn't work anymore?

Is there any workaround?
Do you use yandex? I think there is an old deb in this thread, or something like that, read this thread some time back.

Does anybody has the deb package provided by Lartza? That link no longer works.

Originally Posted by sup View Post
Does anybody has the deb package provided by Lartza? That link no longer works.
i have it but have to go out right now.
Ill try to post it later today.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twy213 For This Useful Post:
Ill try to post it now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twy213 For This Useful Post:
That is great that you have the binaries! I cannot see them here however yet.