Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by camaroer87 View Post
Yea, I've got an n800 and it would seem that it is over heating. Thus won't turn on once its off.
The problem is temperature-related. That doesn't mean it is overheating. Just that cooling it is a work-around.

So anyone has any news? when will the fix be out?
It's getting more and more annoying? Everytime the power is off, my heart sinks fearing that I might not be able to turn it on again! Maybe I should just return it and forget about the whole N800 thing.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by CINY111 View Post
So anyone has any news? when will the fix be out?
Should be beginning of next week.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
is there any kind of dynamic over/underclocking tool for the n8xx to improve battery life?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by speculatrix View Post
is there any kind of dynamic over/underclocking tool for the n8xx to improve battery life?
Yes, it's called OS2008.

I contacted Nokia via email to try to see if there were any updates on the fix to the power-on problem. I was in contact with three separate people, and all three claimed that Nokia had never heard of this. I suggest that more people contact Nokia to increase their awareness of it.

BTW I returned my N800 for a refund rather than take it on faith that the problem is fixable in software.

Yes, this is a nasty problem. I'm now carrying a heavy plastic bag with me so that if I need to change batteries, I can get some ice and chill the unit for 10 minutes before turning it back on.

Still, as others have pointed out:
1. Maemo (I gather largely funded by Nokia but not part of Nokia?) is responsible for the software, so it is disappointing but not surprising that the Nokia people don't know about the bug.
2. Here is the maemo bug log for this issue:
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2673
3. Comment 30, from a maemo person, says "The bug was fixed and currently we are testing bug fix. We will inform then fix will be available."

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Yes, it's called OS2008.
well, I've not noticed os2008 having a better battery life than 2007 on my 800... I did have two googletalk accounts and two sip accounts and the continuous wireless traffic did seem to suck power; disabled one gtalk and one sip and it's better, but even so it's not good!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by jdmarch View Post
..., I can get some ice and chill the unit for 10 minutes before turning it back on.
...."
Why do you turn it off? Use a software reboot if you need reboot,

xterm.
sudo gainroot,
reboot.....

The only time you really need to turn it off is when changing SD cards........got to go now, Duke basketball is On...........

Just dont turn your tablet off, then you dont have to chill off, literally

bun

thx for yr reply, bun. Pls see the first part of my post which you quoted. Or do you know some way to swap the battery without turning off the unit?

btw, excuse the lack of quoting but I don't see how to select text on a web page on the n800. (??)