Active Topics

Poll: SolarTOH, you want?
Poll Options
SolarTOH, you want?

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Apr 2014 @ Penang, Malaysia
interested also, with your keyboard and solar panel

Today I made test on sun featuring dirk's solar other half and Jolla in airplane mode with my custom kernel allowing CPU going idle while charging. The phone is really charging - see attached picture.

But I guess it's still not optimal as you can see charging current between 44..71mA - i dont know how much is the panel supposed to give, but IMO it should be more. But i have still some ideas to try...
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to psonek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by psonek View Post
i dont know how much is the panel supposed to give, but IMO it should be more.
it should do more, but the phone draws a lot of power -> voltage drops a bit -> power drops (i think)

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I voted: "Waiting for reviews", but I think I want to change my vote to: "Waiting for imfamous KitchenSinkTOH."
I've said it before, if you can combine 2 or more TOH's & do it well, then you'll have single-handedly made Jolla's device far more appealing than it currently is.
You also will have convinced me to finally 'jump thorough hoops' to buy a Jolla, even though it's not locally available/supported.

Oh and it's infamous, not imfamous

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-05 at 15:52.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I've said it before, if you can combine 2 or more TOH's & do it well, then you'll have single-handedly made Jolla's device far more appealing than it currently is.
You also will have convinced me to finally 'jump thorough hoops' to buy a Jolla, even though it's not locally available/supported.
+1

Jolla is available in my locale but I have never felt the appeal. However a combined keyboard + solar panel TOH would finally persuade me. (Oh, and I have also said it before )

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
+1

Jolla is available in my locale but I have never felt the appeal. However a combined keyboard + solar panel TOH would finally persuade me. (Oh, and I have also said it before )
and i have answered this question before. over and over and over.

it is not really motivating when i am developing a lot of stuff and everyone is saying 'oh, if you join them all together and add battery within 2mm, then i will be interested'

<insert consuela>

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
TBC, I don't think anyone's suggesting that you do anything that's unrealistic/infeasible*, we realise everything you're doing now is still a learning curve.
Combining can come later, much later, if you/Jolla are still around...
Anyway, it was you that put the Kitchen-sink TOH option in the poll, hence making it a point of discussion, so you must at least be aware of the demand/interest

*well, most of us anyway

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-05 at 16:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
so

- you know you asked earlier
- you know i answered earlier
- you know it is not going to happen
- you have already expressed your demand/interest via the poll
- you know that i am aware of the demand/interest, hence and because of the poll

but still you feel the need to express your feelings in a topic that is only about this concept and getting this concept working.

feel free to start a topic about the kitchensink-toh to poll for demand and discuss what needs to be combined, but i am not making a 200$ toh that adds 12mm to your phone.

this whole discussion is off-topic and unnecessary as it is a complete repetition of earlier statements.

anyway, more updates on the SolarTOH tomorrow (hopefully)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry, I did not mean to sound demotivating, quite the opposite. Try reading my post as, "Hey, dirkvl, you are doing a fantastic job! Even I, who do not have a Jolla and never intended to buy one, am impressed so much that I am starting to consider getting one, only to have an excuse to get some of your creations!"

Better? Don't worry, I will just shut up...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Sorry, I did not mean to sound demotivating, quite the opposite. Try reading my post as, "Hey, dirkvl, you are doing a fantastic job! Even I, who do not have a Jolla and never intended to buy one, am impressed so much that I am starting to consider getting one, only to have an excuse to get some of your creations!"
yes, that is very motivating. but when you insert halfway 'if you combine it with %randomfunction then ...' then it is less motivation. this happens a lot. every page on every topic.

anyway, thanks for your compliment, sorry for the harsh response (i am hungry) and in the future please take all your suggestions about kitchensinking to the designated kitchensink topic.

The Following User Says Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post: