Posts: 18 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ The Peg
I assume that everyone has heard of the infamous Acid Mods, and their crazy mods to all portable gaming systems. But can't someone figure out a neat way to mod the n800 or even any other IT? I know I've heard of people painting their faceplates, that would be nice to see pictures of or even tutorials. But ultimately I know that the n800's insides are pretty well "protected" although I did notice that when I took the faceplat off there were the two smt leds. Would someone be brave enough to change those? or put up a tutorial on how to do it? I wouldn't mind trying it, but would like to see someone else try first.

actually I have been pondering if there is room in it to fit an EVDO card. Power can be scarfed from somehwere but there needs to be drivers and what not too. Maybe the guts from a CDU680 would work as the device sets up as a dial-up AT/AT+ device...

but as my first NIT gets here tomorrow I am not up for hacking it up just yet.

Thoughtfix has a video and photo tutorial to dismantle the N800. Taking the faceplate off is trivial. (Just did it with a pen-knife, though a screwdriver is better. Time: 17 seconds from knife out of pocket to faceplate laying on desk.)
Once it's off, if you can't figure out how to paint it...

Yes, the two blue LEDs are sitting there, desparately longing to be replaced with green ones. No, I haven't done it, nor likely will anytime soon. But it shouldn't be harder than any other SMT LED swaps.

An EVDO card?! No, I'm pretty sure there's not room. Go look at TFs pics, as I haven't disassembled mine past the faceplate.

Thanks for the quick responses, its neat to hear these other ideas. I have to admit that there would be no room in the n800 atleast for an evdo card, although it would be a nice idea. The leds are so small compared to other smt leds but im gonna check it out and i might jsut try and replace them with bright whtie ones and pain the faceplate black. Good idea or bad? Anyother color scheme ideas?

I wouldn't mind makeing a deeper case back. that would allow for a bigger battery and maybe your evdo or a wimax mod. That enhanced battery life would be very nice

The Following User Says Thank You to blackoper For This Useful Post:
That's a great idea. That would take alot of work and time ,but could be interesting. I smell Bondo in the air......

not enough room...darn!

Too bad you can't create a spacer to connect spead the case apart just a few mm's to fit a card in somewhere.

Hey, you know...I know how you can create more room...fabricate a different back plate that is flush with the lever where the current backplate attaches. The would create a fair amount of space...maybe enough for a bigger battery if one could be found. There is a good 3-4mm there that could be reclaimed.

I think it could be done...I am NOT gonna hack apart mine mind you...but if I find a broken N800 for sale CHEEEEEP on eBay I might grab that to mess around with.

Originally Posted by blackoper View Post
I wouldn't mind makeing a deeper case back. that would allow for a bigger battery and maybe your evdo or a wimax mod. That enhanced battery life would be very nice
HAHAHAHA...gawds I need sleep!! I dint even read that before posting the same thing...d'oh!! I am laughing so hard right now...I have never missed a post that close to mine before...sorry dude!

off to dreamland for me...

BTW, there is some stuff that might be better than bondo. It's a binary adhesive called PC7 that when it cures is completely sandable and can be shaped w/o losing it's strength. But if you made a form and filled it in with the missed adhesive you could create a custom spacer.

Last edited by brecklundin; 2008-02-16 at 09:20.

This PC7 sounds interesting. A deeper back sounds neat albeit a lot of work would be needed. I know that the whole board is covered and pretty much unmoddable. I know that the board has antenna trace lines, would it be possible to in anyway add an external antenna?

Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
HAHAHAHA...gawds I need sleep!! I dint even read that before posting the same thing...d'oh!! I am laughing so hard right now...I have never missed a post that close to mine before...sorry dude!

off to dreamland for me...

BTW, there is some stuff that might be better than bondo. It's a binary adhesive called PC7 that when it cures is completely sandable and can be shaped w/o losing it's strength. But if you made a form and filled it in with the missed adhesive you could create a custom spacer.
Meh, there's stuff better than bondo or PC7. It's called aluminum here, and aluminium in the UK and some other places. Of course, it'd help if you had ready access to a machine shop, but I've that, so that's what I'd use...

Don't have time, but the mod I'd like would clip on as a battery cover, and extend over the right end of the N800 as well. It could connect to the USB port, and contain:
  • Extended battery
  • USB hub w/ external USB ports (with switch to enable powered mode and/or disconnect completely for battery life)
  • USB-RS232 adapter (with switch to disconnect)
  • WiMAX, 802.11N, or other WWAN adapter (with switch to disconnect.
  • 2.5" hard-drive, maybe. I don't think I'd want this, but you could, if you wanted to watch much video.
  • Storage for a pen-length stylus.

Yeah, the thing would now be a 1.75" thick brick, but that wouldn't bother me. YMMV.

Last edited by Benson; 2008-02-19 at 19:01.