Active Topics

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
But, isn't the whole point to replace closed MCE with RE'ed open clone?
"open" isn't an end in itself. It's a means to an end, to facilitate fixing bugs and adding new functions (and yes, sometimes to address educational purposes, though for that you very rarely do reverse-engineer stuff).
Replacing anything by an "open" equivalent just for the "we did it" is forcing unjustified workload and risk on those who have to maintain and use stuff. Same applies for extensions that nobody really needs, basically.
Making a replacement available so, when needed, it can receive useful patching and then replaces the closed original in the productive release is quite another goal that's pretty welcome. But keep in mind that the productive release is not a stage for such unsolicited RE work, maintainers are supposed to keep productive releases as safe as possible. I'm mentioning this with CSSU in mind. Stage for RE versions would be CSSU-devel maybe, but not CSSU-Testing/Stable, unless we need some change to fix issues. In MCE there's more than one issue to fix, so we're happy to have the means now to actually do those bugfixes and improvements.
Yet another topic is portability (read: fremantle porting), where we might need to patch otherwise perfectly working closed blobs. Think `audioŽ. It's not exactly simple to answer if and when such changes/patches should propagate back to the original stable productive release.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-03-01 at 14:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
It is still unclear (at least to me) what bug your changes fix or what functionality is implemented. IMO the correct way to have code reviewed and eventually included is to make a merge request on gitorious. Though I doubt it will get merged if the default behaviour is changed.
see
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...08#post1408808
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...10#post1408810
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...33#post1408933 + next 4

and the idea is to keep 100% backward compatibility with original MCE/lp5523-kerneldriver. Not even gconf involved ;-)
[on a sidenote I have to confess it so far evaded my mind why some systems use gconf while others don't. MCE uses dbus which seems a sufficient precondition to qualify for gconf, yet MCE is using a plain config file. Then OTOH MCE is needed pretty early in system init Other systems use both config files AND gconf .oO(???)]

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-03-01 at 14:49.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
@joerg_rw - I'd rather wait until there is a MR on gitorious before digging deeper into that

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
sure it is, that is why mce is already in cssu-devel, what is your point here?
Missed that one (in devel) - I was using shaw's patched version. Until now I was perfectly sure, that those are two same ones - that's why I got surprised you were not sure if it's going to get merged. Now I see that shaw's work is separate, so of course I applaud call for creating MG from shaw's side
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Let me see about implementing keyboard fade (without lysti engine 3) and then I'll do a merge request. Adding the fade back in should maintain existing functionality...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
We can't forget mce.. Any news?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xes View Post
We can't forget mce.. Any news?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=313

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Now that I am getting back into reverse engineering again, I want to ask if there are any cases known where the functionality of open-MCE (as reverse engineered by me and originally posted) differs from stock MCE and whether that means there are things I should re-reverse-engineer...

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
Now that I am getting back into reverse engineering again, I want to ask if there are any cases known where the functionality of open-MCE (as reverse engineered by me and originally posted) differs from stock MCE and whether that means there are things I should re-reverse-engineer...
I am using REed mce since I pushed it in cssu-devel, don't see any difference.

Community SSU developer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I've been using it as well, for months (with 3 engine mods for LED) and don't notice anything amiss.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu-mce, fremantle, hdtd thread, htdt detected