Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
That isn't stopping many new players, some which I'm happy to wager will be around in x years, & biting large chunks out of the market-share of today's supposed "immovable titans".
You're referring to Meizu et al, yes?
But those are large (oem) companies already, and Jolla is a small startup. Besides, Jolla has completely opposite strategy, which it seems you have not grasped at all:
  • If you are an Android company, You concentrate on the HW and let Google worry about the SW end for you.
  • Jolla, on the other hand has decided that they make the SW stack and let somebody else worry about the HW!!

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
You're referring to Meizu et al, yes?
But those are large (oem) companies already, and Jolla is a small startup.
You seem to know that they all started out as much larger co's, there's quite a few that seem to be getting traction, I wonder how you're so sure of that.

Besides, Jolla has completely opposite strategy, which it seems you have not grasped at all:
How very polite of you....

• If you are an Android company, You concentrate on the HW and let Google worry about the SW end for you.
  • Jolla, on the other hand has decided that they make the SW stack and let somebody else worry about the HW!!
They focus on the hw a heck of a lot more than someone like Canonical & many of the other alts, they've taken more of a middle road.
It may not be a huge shift for them, certainly not as much as some other alts, I'm not talking about shifting to Android ODM & Android ODM alone.
Being an Android ODM may also give them more insights then they ever anticipated, & manifest in better results/strategies for Mer/Nemo/Sailfish.

It's by no means a cheap investment, but if executed well there's a good chance it's a better money maker than their current approach.
They can use a portion of this $ to put back into their work on MeR/Nemo/Sailfish/TOH/Qt/Other & accompanying hw...
But they may simply not have enough $ to do anything like this, we just don't know...

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-09-17 at 13:55.

i hereby declare this mini-flame-war over

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
How very polite of you...
Thanks, I am quite popular for my politeness

They focus on the hw a heck of a lot more than someone like Canonical & many of the other alts, they've taken more of a middle road.
Yes, you are correct, there's Canonical, Mozilla, maybe some others who are doing SW stack, just like Jolla.
But this is my point exactly: Those are not becoming android OEM's, they handle HW like Jolla; get somebody else to do it.

It may not be a huge shift for them, certainly not as much as some other alts, I'm not talking about shifting to Android ODM & Android ODM alone.
Being an Android ODM may also give them more insights then they ever anticipated, & manifest in better results/strategies for Mer/Nemo/Sailfish.
I don't think so. If Jolla decided to do that, they'd have to either shift their workforce away from their core competence or hire lots of more staff.
Both options are poison for a startup operating on shoestring budget!

oh well, worth a shot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Thanks, I am quite popular for my politeness
Well, you were being rude, but nice of you to just brush-it-off like that...

Yes, you are correct, there's Canonical, Mozilla, maybe some others who are doing SW stack, just like Jolla. But this is my point exactly: Those are not becoming android OEM's, they handle HW like Jolla; get somebody else to do it.
It's not true to say "they handle hw just like Jolla", Jolla def. has more competence in that area already.
The only alt. platform I'm aware of whose driver has vastly more competence in hw, is Tizen.

I don't think so. If Jolla decided to do that, they'd have to either shift their workforce away from their core competence or hire lots of more staff. Both options are poison for a startup operating on shoestring budget!
At what point have I said it's guaranteed to be a success?
We just don't know how much $/resources Jolla has at it's disposal, my point has only ever been that should it have enough, it may be worth a shot.

Anyway, lets end this & agree to disagree, yes?

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Anyway, lets end this & agree to disagree, yes?
Gladly.
I assure you I never meant to be disrespective.

I assure you I never meant to be disrespectful.
If that really is true then I apologise for being overly sensitive & asserting you were.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 73 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on May 2012 @ THESSALONIKI GREECE
Hi
Do you know where is the file with the contacts?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I am expecting announcement of the announcement date for jPhone ll this year.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Tags
jolla, jolla 2