Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Nibbles is working fine for me so far. I had first to remove some Ruby stuff I had and add a Ruby lib and Ruby. I added a bunch of NY Times feeds and am reading them.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Spakman View Post
Good news, thanks tso. Do you have an n800 or an N810? So far, I've only heard of success stories from N800s and only heard failures from N810s, but not enough of either to really tell.

Thanks,

Mark
i have a N800.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Edinburgh, Scotland
I've just released version 0.0.5. You should be able to upgrade to this from the application manger.

This version introduces article purging (currently will delete articles older than one week when Nibbles exits - this will be configurable soon). You have the ability to mark articles as "don't delete" by clicking the column left of the article title.

I've also added a view menu where you can hide/show the feed and article lists and some feedback messages when updating feeds.

Marking articles as "keep", etc will come, but not immediately.
I changed my mind and realised that lots of people would probably want this at the same time as the purging code.

Any feedback welcome, as usual.

Mark

Red means that you haven't viewed that article, black means you have.
Red usually means 'urgent' or 'error'. How about follow the webpage convention, i.e. navy-colored means visited, or bold versus regular ?. I usually already know which ones I have read. Also sometimes I click on a link but stop reading halfway. Then it would be marked as 'visited' but that doesn't tell me which articles I have finished reading.

A thing that I like about the default rss reader is he way that it displays both the titles and summaries in the same viewpane. That way I can just scroll instead of select individual titles to determine which ones to read.

I thought a bit more about my 'show number of comments' idea. Should be doable with a regular expression since most pages with comments say something like 'x comments'. Then you only need to know the word 'comment' in 160 languages!.

Last edited by iamthewalrus; 2008-02-18 at 20:05.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Nibbles is working fine for me so far. I had first to remove some Ruby stuff I had and add a Ruby lib and Ruby. I added a bunch of NY Times feeds and am reading them.
Thanks for letting me know. Can you remember what Ruby stuff you had to remove first?

Mark

I just updated to the latest, looking cool! And I really like that it opens new browser window. Trying out nibbles, I can't help but think how this could be a great solution for a simple podcast client.

Currently, something like bbc/global news works/looks good.
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/worldservice/globalnews/rss.xml

You get a list of episodes, a concise description, and the 'complete story' button links right to the .mp3

It would be neat to have a second nibbles... pibbles just for podcasts where the button at the bottom is replaced with real simple play/pause/stop/download icon/buttons linked directly to the mp3 to either stream (could this be done transparently?) or download to choice of location. Purging or keeping links to all available past episodes should be a choice... i often go back to listen to old shows, esp my travel related subs.

I'm not a programmer... is it easy to extract link to mp3 and send it straight to media player or too a save as prompt? I'd think many would love such a simple podcast streamer/downloader.

Thanks for the new rss reader choice!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
" Originally Posted by geneven View Post

Thanks for letting me know. Can you remember what Ruby stuff you had to remove first?"

There is a Maemo-specific Ruby program that I had to remove. I forget what else. I had some indication that there was a Ruby conflict, so I just removed all things Ruby (temporarily) and Nibbles installed. Some of the things I took out might have been ok.

Yay! Fingers crossed that it works on N810s too.

It would be an option to use Lynx to view the full articles within Nibbles instead of lauching in a browser. Would you prefer that as a possibility?

Duplicate articles sound like a bug though (Nibbles should be smart enough to not create duplicates for edited articles). Can you tell me the feed URL for the feed with duplicates, please? Or you can file a bug report...
Mark
for me, viewing in lynx would be fine, but need to have 'save' or print to file. I'm reading as research for class, and there's no point otherwise.

The server where i see double posts is

http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/rss/nyt/US.xml

I've not seen this problem since upgradinged to 0.0.5

Thanks for the program. New flagger is nice
pj

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
How about follow the webpage convention, i.e. navy-colored means visited, or bold versus regular ?. I usually already know which ones I have read. Also sometimes I click on a link but stop reading halfway. Then it would be marked as 'visited' but that doesn't tell me which articles I have finished reading.
The colours seems like a fair suggestion. Version 0.0.5.1 makes unread articles blue and feeds with unread articles bold.

A thing that I like about the default rss reader is he way that it displays both the titles and summaries in the same viewpane. That way I can just scroll instead of select individual titles to determine which ones to read.
This is one thing I really dislike about the default reader. It works reasonably for me when the articles are short, but feeds with lots of longer posts are real pain. Nibbles will (sometime) have either a hardware of software button to skip to the next unread article, so you can just hide the article list if you like.

I thought a bit more about my 'show number of comments' idea. Should be doable with a regular expression since most pages with comments say something like 'x comments'. Then you only need to know the word 'comment' in 160 languages!.
Yeah, this should work often enough to be useful. I've noted it down, but it's not a high priority just now.

Thanks,

Mark

Originally Posted by chrisak View Post
I just updated to the latest, looking cool! And I really like that it opens new browser window. Trying out nibbles, I can't help but think how this could be a great solution for a simple podcast client.
Cool - glad you're liking it! It'll hopefully improve some more over the next few weeks.

It would be neat to have a second nibbles... pibbles just for podcasts where the button at the bottom is replaced with real simple play/pause/stop/download icon/buttons linked directly to the mp3 to either stream (could this be done transparently?) or download to choice of location. Purging or keeping links to all available past episodes should be a choice... i often go back to listen to old shows, esp my travel related subs.
The podcast stuff sounds great and I'll definitely consider adding it later. However, I'm loathe to spend too much time on it until we get some important 'normal' feed reading things done first.

The podcast episodes work just like normal articles, so you can flag them (which marks them as "don't purge"). Once we get offline reading for articles this should work exactly the same way for the episodes.

It should be pretty do-able to transparently send or download episodes, but I've not looked into it yet.

Cheers for the ideas,

Mark