I have carried my Nokia E7-00 for 4 years now because of the QWERTY keyboard. I keep two spare E7-00 handsets at home that are scavenged just for parts for the working phone :-(

Bought my first Jolla yesterday, and am waiting to be the first in line for TOHKBD from India.

Request to Dirk: Please include the Kickstarter link in every one of your posts so that more de-hard fans like me can sign up fast!

Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
yes, blank = no keys engraves = black

Well, the design is ready and contracts are ready to be signed. April is on the safe side, would rather deliver ahead of schedule than late.

Development can go a lot faster if I have the funds, hence the campaign.

The Following User Says Thank You to saikat For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by rooster13 View Post
By april 2015 Jolla has propably released a new phone. A bit risky if that one does not support old model TOHs.
Highly unlikely, that.
There are no plans for a followup device currently that I am aware of. I would be very surprised if there's going to be a next model before the end of 2015.

Another thing besides; as the TOHKBDv2 is made of 2 separate pieces, it is of course going to be possible to later create a different upper piece that fits a possible change of the device interface, leaving you with usable keyboard part.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I think this is quite an important question: Is there really no way the virtual keyboard can be hidden with tohkbd open?

I can't believe people talk about what the back looks like, but don't care, that there's going to be virtual keyboard always visible, covering 1/3 of the screen in landscape... When you close the keyboard, the full virtual keyboard is not going to pop up, but you will need to hold the space key and switch the layout. And you will need to do this again when you open the keyboard, to switch to the stripped down keyboard version. Unless I'm mistaken...?
Exactly my thoughts.
What toggles the vkb (while cursor is in a text field) should be the hw action of opening/closing TOHKBD.

Dirk, can you confirm:
1.) in current OS version (Uitukka), the vkb can never be completely hidden? Otherwise, why don't you do that?
2.) 3rd party/community can't make the vkb go away completely, only Jolla can? Just saw that that known issue is in Tahkalampi!
May already gone in Uitukka? Anyone using it already? Haven't seen it in the changelog...
I have to disagree with you guys here

The physical look & feel of the device is of huge importance, it means a lot what the backside looks like or what the typing feel is, how sturdy the thing feels in your hand.

The stuff you describe above is software, it can be changed easily afterwards to suit all the needs of the user. No need to worry about that.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
The KS draft has the goal set at 55000 EUR, which at ~120 EUR apiece means that there must be at least ~450 backers lining up for a HWKB, which is a sizeable number (e.g. compared to active TMOers)
Hopefully dirkvl got his estimations right.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to minimos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Mar 2014 @ Finland
Any link to the kickstarter tohkb page?

Edit: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...token=02e2365d

Last edited by apfibox; 2014-10-30 at 08:43.

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
I think the project could have used some 500+ € options for those with too much money in their pockets and willingness to sponsor For example: 600€ to get TOHKBD v3 working proto in addition to TOHKBD v2 (coloured), 2000€ to get a working proto for every TOHKBD version you're making

EDIT: There could also be some company collaboration package at some pledge level. Just throwin' some ideas I've seen used by other KS projects

Last edited by Thoke; 2014-10-29 at 07:45.

I also hope there will be enough backers.
Not sure there will be...
But I understand it's not possible to produce a device like this for a reasonable price if only 50 people will buy one.

Let's hope there will be enough! I'm definately in!

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Its such a cool thing for the Jolla. My wife and I are probably in for two 100 euro....if we get to place them in time. Guess they will go quick.

Actually, Jolla should sponsor it. Its good promotion of the device. Much better than all Stella Angry Birds and design-TOHs in the whole world, because this is something that is useful.

TOHKBD2 brings us all back to the time when smartphones were practical and efficient. In total contrast to the touchcrap out there that has taken over.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have to disagree with you guys here

The physical look & feel of the device is of huge importance, it means a lot what the backside looks like or what the typing feel is, how sturdy the thing feels in your hand.

The stuff you describe above is software, it can be changed easily afterwards to suit all the needs of the user. No need to worry about that.
While I agree that the look and feel of the device is of huge importance, it must be noted that the software side also has a huge role in the "feel" part, and the real question being asked here is "is it true that it can be changed easily afterwards", or in other words, is it achievable (will it be achieved at some point?), technically? I will of course buy a tohkbd2, but we need a word on that matter because this is definitely part of the "consumer-ready" argument advertized, be it in this thread or in whatever thread Dirk, Kimmo and Andrew think is better.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Great work, Dirk, well done!
I hope it will be (much) earlier then the proposed april next year, I think a lot of people are eager to Christmastree goodies

The Following User Says Thank You to robnas For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd