Active Topics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwJmthxJV5Q

http://n1.nokia.com/

I wonder if they can bring the MeeGo project back to life.

Intriguing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pishta74 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by lorul2 View Post
usb 2.0 is a deal breaker!

If the bootloader is unlocked and this device had a usb 3.0 port it would be a day one purchase.
Really? I'd be quite happy if it didn't have a USB port at all.

If the price reported on the verge is right, it's a very decent tablet for $249. I'm due a replacement for my Nexus 7 2012. The N1 is on the list. Jolla, you're up next...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
What are you talking about? Nokia is alive? It was never dead, it just a company. They can bring MeeGo back? No, all MeeGo workers was fired and project closed forever. Nokia deal only with Android and some OEMs. Enjoy new N1 Foxconn tablet. It's even not a Nokia product, just with Nokia logo and nokia software inside.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It is being manufactured by Foxconn which has one interesting implication:
It cannot contain Google Play (or any Google Play services) even if Nokia wanted. Foxconn also makes Kindle Fire which is against Google's rules and no device they make will therefore pass the Google Play certification.

(source: Reddit)
This is fairly deep BS you're shoveling there
The google ban on services is not dependent on the manufacturing plant but the brand the devices are sold under.

If Foxconn sold Kindles under the name of Foxconn Kindle that might come into consideration, but only regarding devices which would be sold under the name of Foxconn N1.

Mind you, Foxconn is a large manufacturing partner that already makes many brand name Android devices fully licensed & approved by Google.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Just another android tablet

You know what, nokia can make a better tablet than this N1, replace the z launcher with n9 swipe or make it run on sailfish

Why nokia announced this tablet instead of announcing nokia gps device or closer partnership with jolla or nokia pureview compact camera.

The Following User Says Thank You to youmeego For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
It is just a logo? You mean like the iPad and everything made by Foxconn?

The Following User Says Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
This is fairly deep BS you're shoveling there
Just a messenger That's why I cited the "source" - Reddit is not the most trustworthy source of information

Just a speculation: So if Amazon bought a license for Nokia brand name for its product, released a Nokia tablet and had it manufactured by Foxconn (or whatever manufacturer), Google would be completely fine with approving Play Services for such Nokia?

Also, Nokia has previously released Nokia X which used a fork of AOSP which is an exact violation of Google's rules.

I know they still can work something out, as Google certainly wouldn't mind a new brand on their side, but both Nokia and Foxconn have broken their rules.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Also, Nokia has previously released Nokia X which used a fork of AOSP which is an exact violation of Google's rules.
But wasn't that the old Nokia - the part that's now Microsoft? Meaning that Microsoft mustn't release proprietary Android forks in the future?

For those old enough: All this Nokia stuff feels a bit like "the new Coke is now the old Coke and the old Coke is the new Coke" to me. And I'm no longer emotionally involved enough to try keeping up with all this pure marketingbabble. They don't produce a tablet, they probably weren't even involved in the design process of the hardware at all. The allow someone else to write "Nokia" on their product.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 67 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Costa RIca
Hardware sounds quite passable, design wise it looks awesome.

Since its a intel chip it may be able to run other Linux dists (if the bootloader is open/crackable), Cordia revival anyone?

Originally Posted by coderus View Post
What are you talking about? Nokia is alive? It was never dead, it just a company. They can bring MeeGo back? No, all MeeGo workers was fired and project closed forever. Nokia deal only with Android and some OEMs. Enjoy new N1 Foxconn tablet. It's even not a Nokia product, just with Nokia logo and nokia software inside.
Well in that case, they would have to reestablish the MeeGo team again
Anyways, don't be so coccooned, let's see what future brings.

Tags
alive, nokia