Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Dirkvl, you said it would be easy to get the keyboard engraved with the symbols wanted in a shop. I asked about it to a friend who works in something related and he asked me if the letters are just painted or there is groove in the plastic.

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
Dirkvl, you said it would be easy to get the keyboard engraved with the symbols wanted in a shop. I asked about it to a friend who works in something related and he asked me if the letters are just painted or there is groove in the plastic.
The symbols in the keyboard are also laser engraved at the manufacturing place. The keypad is made with black plastic keycaps on top of a flexible translucent membrane.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
Yes, I know, but I am talking of adding symbols by myself to convert the qwerty layout in qwerty spanish. I just want to know if they are painted over the plastic or the plastic have grooves (small perforations in the plastic to draw the letter) and the paint inside them.

Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
I just want to know if they are painted over the plastic or the plastic have grooves (small perforations in the plastic to draw the letter) and the paint inside them.
He said it's black plastic on a translucent membrane, so when the lazer etches off the plastic, the membrane is exposed. The letters will show up when the LED lights turn on.

That's what I gathered, anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
He said it's black plastic on a translucent membrane, so when the lazer etches off the plastic, the membrane is exposed. The letters will show up when the LED lights turn on.

That's what I gathered, anyway.
think andrew can best comment on this

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
I'm afraid I cannot answer that at this point. It is now for sale in my show and on KS, but when I have all data from the KS pledges it will also no longer be possible to buy it in my shop.

From that point on I have to process all data and buy parts. Getting and processing additional purchases halfway really complicates this.

Of course I will make more than the amount of orders, but I have to take into account that some will break during production or are DOA. If all goes well I can sell some more at that point, but I cannot predict how it will go.
I totally understand, but it was worth asking. I'm sure I could wait a bit and you would still have some parts in stocks, but I guess I'm gonna order two from KS anyway. :]

I have pledged on the €120 option which is not available anymore. If I want to add €130 for an extra keyboard, how will you keep track of the initial pledge that grants me the signature edition (thanks to the Hero)? With €250 (God, what am I doing? ) and the limited pledge I got, I should have a custom colour signed tohkbd2 and a custom colour tohkbd2, but I'm afraid you cannot see that once I change my pledge.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
I have pledged on the €120 option which is not available anymore. If I want to add €130 for an extra keyboard, how will you keep track of the initial pledge that grants me the signature edition (thanks to the Hero)? With €250 (God, what am I doing? ) and the limited pledge I got, I should have a custom colour signed tohkbd2 and a custom colour tohkbd2, but I'm afraid you cannot see that once I change my pledge.
this is i think one of those messages you type while you think, and then don't read it back. i cannot 'make cheese out of it'.

anyway, starting on a job i have been avoiding so far: changing the keyboard pcb to have circular domes instead of semi-oblong ones.
circulars have -i think- a little higher push-force, which is better since they will under slight tension by the keypad membrane. but mainly it makes ordering domesheets easier, because i only have to give list of locations and no worries about orientation.

i mentioned here already i will probably be going for through-hole fat pogo-pins instead of emi fingers? cleaner look, more durable.

these will be on next test pcb for keyboard piece.

also, waiting on the pcb for in the toh cover, that is the first final-release candidate. if that one is perfect i will put some fancy pcb art on it and can start setting production up for it.

Last edited by dirkvl; 2014-12-01 at 09:41.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
this is i think one of those messages you type while you think, and then don't read it back. i cannot 'make cheese out of it'.
Actually I did proof-read my message, but I'm not a native speaker and what I am trying to ask is difficult to put in words.

1. I have pledged on a €120 option to get custom colour tohkbd2 at a discount price.
2. €120 custom colour units all have been sold.
3. A hero entered the game and converted my €120 tohkbd2 to a signed one.
4. I want to purchase an extra tohkbd2, with custom colour. It costs €130 given that there are no limited (cheaper) options anymore.
5. I need to add €130 to my pledge amount, but Kickstarter will not allow me to choose multiple pledge options. Either I revoke my €120 pledge, or I keep it but pledge 250. With the latter option, how will you know that the extra €130 are for an extra tohkbd2 with custom colour, and not any other combinations or donation?

Last edited by Kabouik; 2014-12-01 at 10:05.

Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
Actually I did proof-read my message, but I'm not a native speaker and what I am trying to ask is difficult to put in words.

1. I have pledged on a €120 option to get custom colour tohkbd2.
2. €120 custom colour units all have been sold.
3. A hero entered the game and converted my €120 tohkbd2 to a signed one.
4. I want to purchase an extra tohkbd2, with custom colour. It costs €130 given that there are no limited (cheaper) options anymore.
5. I need to add €130 to my pledge amount, but Kickstarter will not allow me to choose multiple pledge options. Either I revoke my €120 pledge, or I keep it but pledge 250. With the latter option, how will you know that the extra €130 are for an extra tohkbd2 with custom colour, and not any other combinations or donation?
can't you just boost your pledge to 2xoriginial+1xshipping? otherwise you will get 2xsurvey i guess. first time for me also, all will be fine.

can't you just boost your pledge to 2xoriginial+1xshipping? otherwise you will get 2xsurvey i guess. first time for me also, all will be fine.
Sure I can, that's my question and I will do that if you recommend it, but then on your side it will show something like:

"This guy pledged 251€ on one €120 limited edition tohkbd2."

I was not sure how you would interpret the extra euros. Sure there is the survey, but considering that KS only allows selecting a single option, you cannot know if people have put money for several limited editions when they were still available.

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd