Active Topics

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Also, the irony of suggesting Microsoft's NTFS as an alternative to Microsoft's ExFAT is hilarious.
Agreed! My guess is that folks think they can get away without licensing NTFS. I gotta say, using someone's patented technology without licensing it is definitely worse than paying for the license in the first place...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Well, it is a stretch goal in a crowdfunding campaign. "Come on, folks! Spend your money on this risky startup effort! If you buy now, we'll give your money to Microsoft to purchase a license! Isn't that worth the risk?"

Doesn't make me feel very enthusiastic to open my wallet.
So you don't want money from a crowdfunding campaign invested into licenses for patents and closed technology?

I'd prefer that, too. But I don't think the product we'd get in the end would be much fun or very useful.

What I'm saying is that if you reject ExFAT (and there are good and valid reasons to do so), you also have to reject any other patented technology in the tablet and in the Jolla phone that Jolla is paying license fees for. There's nothing that makes ExFAT special in this area. If you paid for the tablet already, before the strech goal were introduced, you paid licensing fees. All of us did when we bought the phone or pre-ordered in 2013. So what's is all about now?

I cannot help but assume that this whole uprise was more of an emotional outburst than a thought-out concern.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Morpog View Post
I don't get why open source fans always need to be that extremely fundamentalism......

Not all of them. I find I'm usually more extreme than others when it comes to openness and freedom. I'm usually agree with Richard Stallman. I refuse Facebook, Skype and WhatsApp because they're closed and proprietary. (How many of the anti-ExFat-folks use these services?) I'm using GNU/Linux on my PCs and phones (and I insist on calling it GNU/Linux)...

... but there's a point when you have to accept a reality outside your own little universe, even if you don't like it. Part of this reality is that people don't give a dime on what I think is correct. Part of this reality is that I've actually seen the frustration of two Jolla phone users because their SDXC-cards didn't work.

The Jolla phone as it is (and the tablet as it's planned) still lets me be as fundamentalistic as it gets in todays market. I can pay the price of letting my two friends using their ExFAT-SDXC cards if they really want to. I'm not too proud, I don't think my concerns about freedom are more important than their need to exchange data using the SD card.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by shmerl View Post
Most common filesystems work well enough on flash. The benefit of F2FS is reducing the burnout, but if you don't write to it actively - it shouldn't be a major issue.

Actually for businesses it's much easier to buy computers without Windows junk preinstalled. Dell, Lenovo and all others offer computers without OS or with Linux to corporate customers. But when it comes to individuals they start causing your problems.
not sure n sweden...

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
2nd concern: does the Jolla tablet even have stereo sound out loudspeakers?
My Amazon tablet has some serious speakers for its size.
I don't have fine ears but I am easily disturbed by the Jolla's phone speaker irritable noise and that was a 350 Euro device vs a 199 USD device.
I was really excited about the Jolla tablet until this came to light. No mention what-so-ever regarding tablet speakers. It appears that the Jolla tablet is a headphones only device, which is unfortunately a deal-breaker for me. I posed the question to Jolla support and received the following response:

"At this time we have no additional information regarding the speakers/audio."

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
I was really excited about the Jolla tablet until this came to light. No mention what-so-ever regarding tablet speakers. It appears that the Jolla tablet is a headphones only device, which is unfortunately a deal-breaker for me. I posed the question to Jolla support and received the following response:

"At this time we have no additional information regarding the speakers/audio."
Well, I think that not giving it any speakers would would be a very very stupid think to do, so I doubt that. But it is indeed a good idea to double check & try to get a concrete answer!

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Well, I think that not giving it any speakers would would be a very very stupid think to do, so I doubt that. But it is indeed a good idea to double check & try to get a concrete answer!
Agreed... a tablet without speakers wouldn't make much sense. I just found it rather odd that there is no mention of speakers at all... or perhaps it's just a given. I followed up with Jolla for a more direct yes/no answer and they are yet to reply.

However when drawing comparisons it could work to Jolla's benefit to be clear, whereas at least the N1 is concrete about the audio/speaker spec:

Audio
High Quality Discrete Audio Codec, Wolfson
WM8958E, independent audio codec

Speakers
Two 0.5 W stereo speakers
90 dB with less than 10% total harmonic distortion (THD)

Perhaps the Jolla tablet doesn't compare in this regard, but still maybe a good idea for them to chuck "speakers" on the chart.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Kriek View Post
Agreed... a tablet without speakers wouldn't make much sense. I just found it rather odd that there is no mention of speakers at all... or perhaps it's just a given. I followed up with Jolla for a more direct yes/no answer and they are yet to reply.

However when drawing comparisons it could work to Jolla's benefit to be clear, whereas at least the N1 is concrete about the audio/speaker spec:

Audio
High Quality Discrete Audio Codec, Wolfson
WM8958E, independent audio codec

Speakers
Two 0.5 W stereo speakers
90 dB with less than 10% total harmonic distortion (THD)

Perhaps the Jolla tablet doesn't compare in this regard, but still maybe a good idea for them to chuck "speakers" on the chart.
I think most probably the concrete type of speakers have not yet been decided, so that can't yet say which speaker type and parameters will it have. On the other hand they definitely should be able to say that it has speakers.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
I also backed Jolla in indigogo, even i'm not part any fundamentalist Linux religion. I now realize i'm minority I use many platforms and devices and i like open devices, and i also want my devices full working order.

I did down-vote the "please cripple Jolla" petition here https://together.jolla.com/question/...tent-licenses/

If Jolla decide that it does not support normal memory cards i think it shoots itself to the foot. Jolla is not a big company, and it's in the position not to bully normal users who backed Jolla thinking it is normal fully working tablet and there is working card slot as seen in specs in indiegogo page.

Memory-card slot in tablet, but making customers buy a separate license to use it is just as bad bullying.

I wanted to support Jolla as soon i heard they have Tablet coming, but first thing that i checked was if they had memory card slot in tablet, because tablet without a memorycard is pretty much useless. More so when there is only 32GB internal memory.

Sorry for my bad english, i don't use it very often. Just wanted to register here and say what i think.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It was my understanding that it's practically impossible to build a phone or a tablet without buying licenses for closed, patented technology. It's not that exFAT would be the first or the only one. What I don't understand is why it gets this attention...
Then think again. It gets attention because it was added post factum as a stretch goal when most already made their decision to support the campaign. That's why. Why should money be wasted on exFAT if for example they can be used to improve the browser or any other part of Sailfish which does not involve patent encumbered or closed stuff and still needs a lot of improvement? If paying for exFAT patent lock-in would have been explicitly included in the funding sum from the start, some wouldn't have contributed to begin with for instance.

And all those claims that exFAT is absolutely needed and so on are false. It might be needed for some, and completely not needed for others.

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
So Bluetooth should also be banned from Jolla Tablet ?
Was it added as a stretch goal?

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-12-01 at 18:06.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks