Active Topics

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Yes, my eyesight isn't brilliant. I'm shortsighted. I wear glasses to give me good distance vision and I have another pair for working at my computer.

With either pair on I can read the Jolla screen. I have to take either pair off to read a traditional status bar as the focal point on either of my glasses is wrong.

For me, peeking at the status on my Jolla works, especially as it also shows the running tasks.
You have my sympathy, but why not offer both options then?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
You have my sympathy, but why not offer both options then?
Because then you end up with having to deal with two different UI designs, two different screen sizes, two different notification systems.

But even if you've 20/20 vision I still think the current UI design is better than a status bar.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Much as I agree with nodevel that killfiling bluefoot might be good for one's spiritual wellbeing, I must also concede that he has a point. The lock screen is totally pointless. Has been since N9 days. And yes, I dearly miss the permanent status bar with its "tiny" icons. The battery level, the signal strength, the connection status*), those are absolutely crucial in a phone. If you really miss those few pixels, then perhaps implement a UI mod or tweak to hide them, but it is a bad idea to not even have an option to see the status at a glance. Yes, I can learn to live with it, but that does not make it an optimal UI design. You may say next that Gnome 3, Unity or Metro are good UI designs too.

*) Not to forget the little envelope indicating that you have new voicemail messages. The old "dumb" phones considered it important enough to have LCDs specially made with dedicated segments for such icons. But then, we know already that those were better at being phones than the new "smart" devices.
What do you expect to see on the lock screen?

Why do you want to constantly have in view battery level or signal strength, even the time? You might loose few pixels in portrait mode, but in landscape mode that part is not negligible. The LED is used to notify for pending events.

The Following User Says Thank You to pagis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
The lock screen is totally pointless.
There is now an application that uses a clever has to display upcoming calendar events on the lock screen (by editing the ambiance image):

You may say next that Gnome 3, Unity or Metro are good UI designs too.
At least Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell) has a quite prominent status menu (language, connectivity status, sound level, battery level) and even triggers a quick-access settings menu after clicking on it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
The battery level, the signal strength, the connection status*), those are absolutely crucial in a phone.
I beg to disagree. Excluding the battery, those things do not interest me one bit while everything's working. Only when something isn't working I take a look at them trying to figure out what's wrong.
What comes to the battery, I don't want to see every 1% draining. Instead, I need to have a rough estimate once in a while if I have enough juice for the rest of the day. The percentage does not even work that well in this regard but it's better than nothing.

but it is a bad idea to not even have an option to see the status at a glance. Yes, I can learn to live with it, but that does not make it an optimal UI design.
If you can learn to live without glancing the status all the time, I'd like to say the stuff in the status bar is not that crucial, after all. Or did I understand something wrong?

"Optimal UI" is a can of worms... I believe this thread already proves a point.

Often (not always) having more options is better. In this case, if we would have a setting switch for showing a status bar or not, what would happen to the apps? Would they need to be scaled? Would they lose pixels up or down? Sorry, but I just don't see this happening anyway sensibly.

The Following User Says Thank You to tmi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
So do we have an expected date yet? Now over a year old and still items missing that we saw on pre-release demos.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
There is now an application that uses a clever has to display upcoming calendar events on the lock screen (by editing the ambiance image):
http://mihlit.cz/jolla/calendarbience/screenshot2.jpg

At least Gnome 3 (Gnome Shell) has a quite prominent status menu (language, connectivity status, sound level, battery level) and even triggers a quick-access settings menu after clicking on it.
It's funny how community eat anything they are feeded with
People complained for bad notifications and waste of lock screen space for a while now. (even simple date on lock screen is not hard to do, is it?)
But so called "together", "we listen", "be a part of..." policy they use for PR — force people to change wallpapers to add something to lock screen.
Now tell me again how is android is bad and less opensourced

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
And about updates. It's funny how people here said that Jolla releasing so many updates, but never pay attention what kind of updates are those. Most of the time after the phone release the OS state was beta, so surely they had to make updates to get out of beta(in my opinion it's still way beta, but they say different). And most updates are bug fixes and we still have a lot of bugs (netwrok problems from first day till now FFS). And yet with telling how many updates they are making every month and a lot of noise about it we had 8 public updates in more than 2 years now. yes it's more than maemo/meego got from nokia. But on other hand why we always compare with bad examples, why we do not check as well that few maemo/meego updates were more heavy updates. So i'm not sure how you compare those, but it would not fair to tell Nokia did less
They just never finish what they start. they promise something and change plans, switch to something else. And if you ask why - the answer you get : "it's also business". But from when the business is to promise and run away? It's only one when you want to make money and run away. In long term you need to respect your customer and do not start thousand things you can't finish, so you can tell us later "but we are small group of people". We already got it, but did you get that if you don't have enough resources, finish things you started before asking for more money on new projects you will never finish.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
What do you expect to see on the lock screen?
Nothing. I want to do away with it

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@ZogG first of all you comparing nokia product made by thousands developers with jolla made by just one hundred of developers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: