Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Thanks, nodevel. You made me see the light. Seriously, no sarcasm intended. I am willing to delete all my posts starting from #3105 if everyone who quoted it follow suit. Otherwise there is no point.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thanks, nodevel. You made me see the light. Seriously, no sarcasm intended. I am willing to delete all my posts starting from #3105 if everyone who quoted it follow suit. Otherwise there is no point.
Please don't!

I generally feel that one should never delete posts or edit them except for additional details. Even as posting something that one regrets later.
The one exception maybe posts that are direct personal attacks or otherwice rude.

The reason for this is that it will make the chain of posts impossible to understand later on.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Thanks to nodevel for explanaiton! But what you people think of about still not having payed apps support on jollas apps store. I mean how are they going to attract developers, especially in the light of a new device, the tablet - the device would be bearly functional without relying on android apps.

If i were a developer i'd develop for SF just because every functional app in it would instantly be in limelight, while to gain visibility in googleplay seems much more troublesome. But without payd apps support there's stagnation. Can jolla succesfully market a third device? I'd say 'no' with current apps situation.

Last edited by veeall; 2015-01-03 at 21:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
If Jollas tablet would be x86, could jolla then provide support for running normal desktop linux apps on it? That would be great if that's possible.

Last edited by veeall; 2015-01-03 at 20:59.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by veeall View Post
If Jollas tablet would be x86, could jolla then provide support for running normal desktop linux apps on it? That would be great if that's possible.
Being x86 has nothing to do with it, all your "normal desktop linux apps" are available for arm too.

The thing that makes this difficult in the Jolla phone as well as (almost certainly) on the upcoming Jolla tablet is that these SFOS devices run Wayland, and your desktop apps probably require X11.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The thing that makes this difficult in the Jolla phone as well as (almost certainly) on the upcoming Jolla tablet is that these SFOS devices run Wayland, and your desktop apps probably require X11.
But aren't there already distros running wayland. I guess Wayland is mostly accepted as future by linux devs thus compatibility of apps will improve over time(?).

Take a look on textmaker in google play, it has one-to-one clone of libreoffice ui, and it seems usable too, For tablet, judging from the user perspective it could potentially make the device appealing and usable, to be able to gimp a photo on it or run libreoffice.

(Edited out to not sound too negative. Sorry.)

For large screen there's no way i'm going to use jollas phone apps - jollas email app full screen on a tablet? - i'd go for k-9 mail instantly, and then there's the second thought - why in the world i even need jollas tablet if i'm going to run android apps on it anyway?

Edit: I think i'm quite stupid to mention libreoffice on a tablet judging its launchtime performance on a desktop computer. It's probably just wishful thinking - LightDesktopEnvironment apps on a tablet.

But my point is, isn't the app marketplace a priority one for an emerging OS!? Maybe they got delayed by battling the qt issues, though.

Last edited by veeall; 2015-01-03 at 21:50.

The Following User Says Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
But what you people think of about still not having payed apps support on jollas apps store.
While I may be sensitive to other things, I do not see this one as a big problem. Developers can always provide a paid activation key for free "trial" downloads. Sygic did the very same thing for Maemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
No, please don't.

There's a lot of things that need improvement (paid apps as mentioned before, upgrade to Qt 5.4, event screen, social feeds, services integration, external keyboard support, OOM management) and constructive criticism is definitely needed.

What I was saying is that one should focus on facts and not get carried out about comments that will appear anyways (be it in blind support or criticism of Jolla).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
While I may be sensitive to other things, I do not see this one as a big problem. Developers can always provide a paid activation key for free "trial" downloads. Sygic did the very same thing for Maemo.
Haha, i've spent more than hundred euros a year on apps on my android tablet, most of them are not even installed currently. Appstores live on people willing to waste small sums of money, and those apps were good, just they proved not essential in the long run. If apps in jollas appstore had all pricetag of 1 euro, i've had spent 20-30 euros already.

Quasarmx has the paid version on its website, and i bought it too, even back on n9, though i was never really using it there.

Last edited by veeall; 2015-01-04 at 09:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to veeall For This Useful Post:
If apps in jollas appstore had all pricetag of 1 euro, i've had spent 20-30 euros already.
And how would that benefit you?

I have always held the opinion that developers should be able to receive some income from their work (after all, that is what pays my mortgage and my kids' education), but the application should be particularly useful to demand payment. The "particularly useful" bit is of course very subjective and is up to the user to decide. Which leads to basically two options: donation or activation code.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience