Originally Posted by From Vertu with Love View Post
Until the launch of the tablet, at least. If they had another one before then, the 'bundle' that many backers chose to purchase would work out more expensive than buying separately. Jolla can't afford to annoy their newest fans.
They can!
As they were not able to give that bundle price to all of new customers (and especially to those who already backed and ordered normally!)
And I guess there may be just a few (in very low order) tenth who ordered that bundle as it came too late ...

So Jolla, hand out new discount codes of 50€ ...

Last edited by lokai; 2015-01-05 at 14:52.

The Following User Says Thank You to lokai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Never say never. The tablet launch is at least 5 months away.
Exactly. It's not like people who bought the combo have to wait till May to receive their phone - they got it right away, so I don't see any problem with the phone getting cheaper in the meantime.

If they were to receive the phone in May and it got cheaper before that, I would understand the disappointment, but now they can enjoy and use their phone. I also wasn't mad that the price was reduced few months after I bought it, because using it those few months was worth it.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I wonder how many of the tablet supporters are new customers. I am willing to bet 30 Altarian dollars that not more than 50%. My estimate is <20%.
If that's so, it's not such a bad news - it would mean that current customers are satisfied to the point that they are willing to buy more products from the same company.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I bought a combo and don't really care if jolla selling the phone for £1 next week. Jolla ****ers couldn't manage sell a extra battery so I bought another phone to get the battery.

I will always hold that against jolla that they couldn't even deliver more than 3 extra batteries. they are now on my BlackList

I'm more afraid jolla will deliver a shitty tablet in may or even worse. delay to June. I could accept a delay one month if they adding 3G for free...maybe we could get a discount if delayed

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-01-05 at 16:09.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Until the launch of the tablet, at least. If they had another one before then, the 'bundle' that many backers chose to purchase would work out more expensive than buying separately. Jolla can't afford to annoy their newest fans.
Their newest fans need to get a grip on reality if they get annoyed by a company dropping prices after they bought theirs during a sales promotion.

Yeah, you (not 'From Vertu with Love' I'm speaking generally) fell for the sales promotion. Now get over being such an idiot and stop whinging. You were happy to buy it at the price you bought it at.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Yes, but if you skip the chinese, labour, sailffish dev, subsidizing...what is the hw cost. that is what Im looking for.

anyway. have we seen the last discount code?

That cost changes with time.

I think the latest manufacturing date anyone has reported on their Jolla is from 03, 2014.

If you were to specify the same hardware today, naturally you would get a better price for what is now older tech (granted there could be fluctuations in the pricing of memory and display modules). This is before counting storage and interest charges.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Yes, but if you skip the chinese, labour, sailffish dev, subsidizing...what is the hw cost. that is what Im looking for.
Ah, so you are after the BOM cost.
But bear in mind that BOM cost has nothing to do even with the production cost of the device, not to say with the profitable sales point of the device.

The BOM costs of devices are ridiculously low anyway. I'd imagine (when looking back at what the top Nokia models BOM costs were back in the day) that for example iPhone6 or Galaxy S5 probably goes for around $50...$60 or so, could be even significantly lower.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
how could IT be that low. Screens must costs a few dollars.
Yes.
The parts (in quantities ordered by large mfg's) cost next to nothing.

What does cost, it the amortization from the production facility, warehousing, running costs for the plant, (labour, energy, maintanance), etc.
On top of that of course, before one ever gets so far is cost of the design.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Their newest fans need to get a grip on reality if they get annoyed by a company dropping prices after they bought theirs during a sales promotion.

Yeah, you (not 'From Vertu with Love' I'm speaking generally) fell for the sales promotion. Now get over being such an idiot and stop whinging. You were happy to buy it at the price you bought it at.
I know the logic, but we both know that's not how people react. Remember the backlash after Nintendo cut the price of the 3DS?

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I know the logic, but we both know that's not how people react. Remember the backlash after Nintendo cut the price of the 3DS?
Nope, but then I've no idea what a 3DS is.

Originally Posted by aegis View Post
Nope, but then I've no idea what a 3DS is.
You've never heard of a Nintendo 3DS? They've shipped nearly 50 million of the things, it's the most popular handheld games console on the market...