I mailed them yesterday regarding a possible custom case for the N770. Surprised that they responded within a day. So looks like if there is enough interest they may make one specific for the N770

PDair

Hi,

We are considering.

Would you please advise where your Nokia N770 bought from ?

Your truly,
PDair Workshop

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
I don't know if anyone has noticed, but PDair did finally make their leather case for the 770, I just stumbled upon it yesterday on this site:

http://www.glblsrc.com/shop/product.php?productid=16316

The above-listed place also sells them on eBay...

It is also on the PDair site, under "Nokia", then "E770"

http://www.pdair.com

This looks very nice, I will probably order one today...I have never used the sliding cover on my 770, I just hate having to mess with it, plus I usually turn my unit off or lock it manually to avoid draining the battery.

I can vouch for the quality of the PDair cases, they are very high-quality (near Vaja)...I have their book-style case for my Libretto U105, and it has been fantastic, and looks very similar to the 770 case.

I'm surprised no other companies like Brando, EB cases, vaja, etc. have not come out with 770 cases...seems like there is a market for it...

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
I wonder if they went so far as to embed a small magnet in the cover so that the case closed event will still work. A great way to save your battery is to make sure that you close the lid on it when not in use so it saves maximum power.

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
*sigh* why is it always real leather? Wrapping your electronics in the skin of something dead isn't exactly a status symbol, we've moved beyond the 80's.

Case looks good tho, there are stick-on magnet strips one can get from craft stores, I wonder if one of those would be strong enough.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
Yeah, that would be neat if the magnet feature was in the leather case...I doubt it is, but that little wrap-around strap that keeps it closed is a magnet, not a snap. Where is the magnet sensor on the 770?

As for the leather, I could also live without that...I really wish someone would make a silicone skin, a la the iPod.

Yep PDAir cases are very good. I got one for my Sony Vaio VGF mp3 player and was quite impressed. Well just got one for the Nokia 770 as well.

DaScud

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Wirral, UK
When I bought it, I've spent half an hour trying to figure out how the standby is triggered with the case but I gave up and believed the magnetic switch answer. Where is this magnet sensor idea coming from? I tried with a small magnet but the case does not have any magnets hidden inside... It seems to be a tricky mechanical switch to me.

Last edited by 9a6or; 2006-05-18 at 21:01.

If you hold a magnet just to the left of the home key, you should see the screen shut off, and then turn back on when you move it.... There is a magnet in the sliding case that triggers this when you slide the case on.

The Following User Says Thank You to Solace For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Solace
If you hold a magnet just to the left of the home key, you should see the screen shut off, and then turn back on when you move it.... There is a magnet in the sliding case that triggers this when you slide the case on.
The fridge magnet I tried didn't work. I got my magnet wand out of the tool kit, and it killed it as far up as the directional pad. That was really cool...

Thanks Solace

I just received my PDAair case yesterday. I was amazed by the shipping times considering the case shipped from Hong Kong. Almost neweggish :-). Placed order last thursday and received it yesterday.

Anyways, the case is well made and fits the N770 quite well. One thing that struck me is that the N770 viewable area somehow seems smaller now with the case on. Only gripe is the flap positioning. The magnetic clasp covers the charging plug so cant charge the N770 with the flap closed. Also the inside of the Top flap is not leather but some cheaper material.

Overall i am quite happy.

DaScud