Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
And the other platforms had or have similar problems:
Does Windows phone meanwhile support copy and paste in all areas? It's been a while since I've seen a Windows phone. The last time it didn't.
No, it only does it in a very limited way. Besides, it is a real pain to export messages out of the device for example...

I had t get a few SMS message chains out of a friend's Lumia device because she needed them as evidence in a court case and it proved hard as hell to do it! There's no way to natively export anything, so what I had to do was to manually open and copy each message to an evernote page and then export that out... Took me a really long time as there were some 300 messages to be copied!!!

Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
???
What didn't you undestand?
First iPhone never got MMS-Support although it was a basic feature for phones at that time.

And Android never got native Caldav support (I haven't seen Version 5 so far, maybe it changed) Caldav in Android is only possible via third party apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
And Android never got native Caldav support (I haven't seen Version 5 so far, maybe it changed) Caldav in Android is only possible via third party apps.
I don't think so, Google is more like:
Thou shalt have no other Services before mine.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
You are right, but in the end it's the same effect.
And the intention is even worse.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I had t get a few SMS message chains out of a friend's Lumia device because she needed them as evidence in a court case and it proved hard as hell to do it! There's no way to natively export anything, so what I had to do was to manually open and copy each message to an evernote page and then export that out... Took me a really long time as there were some 300 messages to be copied!!!
Just out of interest, how would you do the same thing on a Jolla? (A genuine question.)

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
I don't think so, Google is more like:
Thou shalt have no other Services before mine.
Everybody does that. Including your beloved Jolla. Just look at the arbitrary restrictions on what can be in Harbour.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Just out of interest, how would you do the same thing on a Jolla? (A genuine question.)
In Jolla you have access to the filesystem:
# The database with the SMS messages
sql_database="/home/nemo/.local/share/commhistory/commhistory.db"

from: https://together.jolla.com/question/...conversations/

Everybody does that. Including your beloved Jolla. Just look at the arbitrary restrictions on what can be in Harbour.
Don't think they are restricting any competition by disallowing unstable libraries from harbour, this is more about quality control. Then again, maybe there is some other mobile phone startup that relies heavily on QtPositioning and QtFeedback and Jolla just keeps them at bay

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
In Jolla you have access to the filesystem:
Yes, I agree that is a great advantage.

# The database with the SMS messages
sql_database="/home/nemo/.local/share/commhistory/commhistory.db"
If you can call that "natively export". If I were the judge, I would not accept an evidence thus obtained without asking additional questions.

What I call a native export is something like a PC suite for backing up your PIM, with an export functionality. I am not aware of any platform that got it right since Palm OS (but then, I have no clue about WM, iOS and BB). Nokia has tried but did not quite succeed. Jolla has not even tried.

Don't think they are restricting any competition by disallowing unstable libraries from harbour, this is more about quality control. Then again, maybe there is some other mobile phone startup that relies heavily on QtPositioning and QtFeedback and Jolla just keeps them at bay
I think you've misspelt "independent developers". Modrana and Poor Maps come to mind.

If you can call that "natively export". If I were the judge, I would not accept an evidence thus obtained without asking additional questions.

What I call a native export is something like a PC suite for backing up your PIM, with an export functionality. I am not aware of any platform that got it right since Palm OS (but then, I have no clue about WM, iOS and BB). Nokia has tried but did not quite succeed. Jolla has not even tried.
Natively export as in copy that file to your pc, run queries to export to any other file format you want/expect. You can probably even import it into M$ acce$$ (is writing like this still a thing?) straight away. Or just use the script from TJC, or modify it. Expecting Jolla to provide export to Symbian/BB/WP/iOS and every other possible device is a bit weird. If they had used some proprietary Jolla only format and encryption and hidden the filesystem, yeah some kind of windows only pc suite for export/backup surely would be better than nothing.

I think you've misspelt "independent developers". Modrana and Poor Maps come to mind.
Oh okay, did not consider Maps application to be 'service' by Jolla, but in that regard, yeah. Kind of a bummer. Still believe the intention behind limiting the allowed libs is quality for end users using harbour and they do increase that number, albeit slowly

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
If you can call that "natively export". If I were the judge, I would not accept an evidence thus obtained without asking additional questions
There's a native application for that, sms-boat which lets you import and export SMS'es in CSV format.
Used that when I transferred my SMS'es from N9 to Jolla about hundred years ago

However, as it is, if I needed to do the similar thing on Jolla as I did on that cursed WP Lumia execuse of a mobile thingy, I'd probably use a simall bash script just like szopin suggested
(easier for myself, but someone indeed might prefer an application for the task)

Jolla has not even tried.

Yes, it is done by independent dev, but note that on WP you do not even have that!
It is bloody just not doable I guess, one of the API's that MS has not opened for developers...

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
What didn't you undestand?
First iPhone never got MMS-Support although it was a basic feature for phones at that time.

That's not really the point. Apple, Google and Microsoft have solid, reliable services that run on whatever protocol each use. It doesn't really matter what that is. Apple uses CalDAV/CardDAV ironically. Jolla doesn't have any services and nobody is expecting them to have them. Jolla has to rely on 3rd party services. It's 18 months on from release and you still can't reliably do this. It's only the last few months that there has been a flurry of commits to buteo sync.

Some people may think this is not basic functionality but I entirely disagree. It's partly why I gave up waiting on Jolla and bought both a new android tablet and android phone. I use 3rd party CalDAV/CardDAV plugins on android to access Apple's iCloud services and sync with my Mac and it's 100% reliable, fast and dependable. That's what I need from my Jolla and after 15 months it wasn't there. Not even close to it.

Also IMHO every UI change Jolla have done has been a step backwards and 2.0 continues that trend. The multitasking got worse with the Qt change and the limited RAM in the device hit home. I get better multitasking out of Android because Sony just threw 2 & 3gb of RAM at the problem. :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: