Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
Stop comparing jolla to first iPhone and Android. When they were released they maybe did not have all features, but they did not have competitors(alternatives) as they were first smartphones as you know them now.
Wrong. The concept of a smartphone had been introduced long before, and the whole point of this comparison is to point out how for example the iPhone didn't even meet the standards set by moderate feature phones of those years.

It just shows how reality distortion works: When the iPhone lacked MMS, copy/paste, 3rd party software support, SIP, 3G, video calls and whatever features were standard then, people ignored all its faults it because it came from their Guru. But when the still young Jolla Phone lacks a UI for VoIP calls, it's totally unacceptable because clearly all features need to be on all phones.

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
@benny1967, excuse my ignorance does android or ios have embedded support for voip?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Who derailed this thread while I was away?

Lets skip this upgrade and release sail 2.0 in May.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
@benny1967, excuse my ignorance does android or ios have embedded support for voip?
Doesn't matter, moving the goalposts is the name of the game. Was really surprised to learn Caldav is not supported by default by G (the amount of bitching here really gave me the idea it is some kind of standard). If they add Caldav and voip we will learn that cortana/siri/google something is the basic functionality that distinguishes smartphones from featurephones. And it should've been here yesterday, come on Jolla, get your **** together

edit: totally forgot, then there are people who claim smartphone is all about 3 things, facebook, twitter and ... (don't remember) if you don't have native apps for those the platform is dumb and doomed to fail (yes, this is from tmo post)

Last edited by szopin; 2015-04-30 at 19:23.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It just shows how reality distortion works: When the iPhone lacked MMS, copy/paste, 3rd party software support, SIP, 3G, video calls and whatever features were standard then, people ignored all its faults it because it came from their Guru. But when the still young Jolla Phone lacks a UI for VoIP calls,
certain fanboys ignore that for exactly the same reason, oblivious to the irony of calling the iPhone fans "sheeple".

BTW clearly your and mine definition of "still young" are diametrically different. Sailfish OS is three years old! It started from a highly refined OS that was already two years old at the time. If you are so keen to compare Jolla to iPhone, factor that in too, please.

(Oops, I promised to get out. I'll get me coat.)

Last edited by pichlo; 2015-04-30 at 20:13. Reason: Spelling (s/odl/old). Typing on a VKB sucks :(

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
BTW clearly your and mine definition of "still young" are diametrically different. Sailfish OS is three years odl! It started from a highly refined OS that was already two years old at the time. If you are so keen to compare Jolla to iPhone, factor that in too, please.

(Oops, I promised to get out. I'll get me coat.)
Except they can't just reuse years of closed by nokia OS. Move maemo to newest kernel and wayland, or meego, how much of that is open so you can just git clone/make and without crutches? Riiight, whole taskforce works on this, for MS now cheering for debian 8, would they be willing to opensource maemo fully maybe? MS cares about their image and opening something they bought from nokia (n900 support pages now on ms.com) could be a big thread on social media, free PR/publicity (sorry Dave this thread is going places)

ninja edit: did I mention they just released binary compatible with linux program? Linus won

Microsoft releasing program for linux: https://twitter.com/code/status/593449017398407169

Last edited by szopin; 2015-04-30 at 20:10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Sailfish OS started from parts that were open sourced from MeeGo-project, practically Mer-core and Nemo. There was no refined, complete OS to start from in sense that it would have been only to take and integrate them together (not to mention supporting infrastructure around it and all the bits and pieces that had to be done to integrate newer versions of Qt, Wayland etc.). So on that regard, definition of "three years old" is not that accurate.

In comparison, Android inc. was founded 2003 - it's 12 years before now. It started much like Sailfish did, Google aquired it in 2005. So it has had 10 years of huge resources of Google behind it. Apple's iOS has roots in their iPod, until Jobs figured out that it would make perfect UI for smartphone. It took them quite some time to get necessary functions integrated. Yet, you seem to expect that Jolla develops Sailfish on par with those with fraction of time and resources, and without concrete support from 3rd parties providing/developing certain services. I'd say it's unrealistic.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
definition of "three years old" is not that accurate.
Sorry, you are right, it is not. Jolla Oy was founded on 29 March 2011. So it's four years and a month. With the years of Maemo and Meego on top of that, but I am happy to not count those.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Niche platforms keep reinventing the wheel while Google continues to mop up more users en route to becoming the Microshaft of mobile.

I'll skip this round and keep my cash in eager anticipation of step 8 of 6.

My website

GitHub

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Niche platforms keep reinventing the wheel while Google continues to mop up more users en route to becoming the Microshaft of mobile.

I'll skip this round and keep my cash in eager anticipation of step 8 of 6.
Wouldn't hurt to run that VM with SDK and recompile for sailtube, wouldn't cost you any of that cash, probably could bring some donations and userbase

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post: