Active Topics

Hello again all.
I am not even sure that this is the correct place to post this, but someone may be able to help me. I tried to post to the Gizmo forums but they must be down. Anyway, I installed Gizmo on my n800 and my pc. When I tested it, the video on the pc (from the n800) was horrible. I know the n800 cam isn't great, but on the pc (even when the viewing screen is at its smallest setting) the video is so pixilated that you can't even tell what you are looking at. Also, it seems like the brighter areas come out to be a bright green. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Even if someone knows how to shrink the pc viewing window more (like to the size of the outgoing video window), I think that may solve some of my problem. I think it may be a software thing because the cam view on my n800 (from the pc) has some of the issues with the green, to a lesser extent though. Anyone have any suggestions, or even a different program to use. Do MSN or Yahoo have any software that will work on the n800?

Thanks again.

I believe aMSN works on the n800. I believe video even works on it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
That's the way the video looks. I think it's a codec limitation. The cpu is pegged when using Gizmo with video.

a suggestion is to make sure you have a LOT of good lighting on the tablet cam side. I have noticed better images with better lighting. It is an awful camera really. My old Clie nx73v does a better job shooting video's and it's a VGA res cam. Then again not a chance in heck it would ever be able to do any sort of video call, heck it can't do audio calls...hehehehe...

But maybe some stronger lighting can help clean up the image on the receiving end???

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Gizmo video quality just isn't very good. Strong lighting will help, but beyond that you are being choked by the implementation including a buggy (imo) bandwidth calculator that never sees more then ~200kbps available.

aMSN has "webcam" support, but not video calls with audio. It's also a little heavy on the tablet.

If you wan't good quality video calls to a pc at this point, then SIP is pretty much the only option I know of. Although you'll need the RTcomm beta, a pc SIP client like x-lite/eyebeam/linphone and some some familiarity with SIP would help.

Once there is a pc Jabber client with jingle audio-video support, we'll have a better option.