Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You don't know much about business, do you? ;-)

Most businesses do not trust anything "open-sorce" by default. Most businesses prefer other businesses supplying their solutions, including security. Most businesses' security implementation is closed source.

(And when I say "most", I mean, "from all the companies I have worked for in the past 25 years, 100%". Feel free to do the substitution in all cases the word "most" was used in the above paragraph.)
My personal experience is quite the opposite - for example RHEL is heavily used in the financial sector, to run stock exchanges and by many other big enterprise companies. And it's all open source.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
are we abandoned by jolla? no more info before release..?

plz jolla. ubdate your blog asap we want to be close to process. Dont ignore the funders...

Tip of the day...
https://www.giveffect.com/crowdfundi...practice-guide

The Game Plan:
Commit
Win First Followers
Build Dialogue
Spiral Out: Keep the conversation going, will be easier to garner momentum
Tell the story
Listen: Feedback is great mechanism
Meet the press: each press have interesting stories
Finish Strong

Anyways...Lekku is on fire! Juha Paakkari And the rest, watch and learn!

darkestmind on June 25, 2015...
Will there be some kind of DRM agreement or can we look forward for videos of Jolla tablet? =)

Iekku Pylkkä on July 1, 2015 at 7:37 am
Developers will get early access to SW releases and they will have a developer device, therefore they need to sign NDA (Non-disclosure agreement).

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-07-01 at 16:38.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Excellent example of this was when Jolla's own stskeeps (the guy responsible for libhybris, which UT also employs) took issue with incomplete source (actually just mislabelled parts of source) being released for the Aquaris E4.5 in a blog post and post to the dev list. The developers responded and said they'd look into it immediately. They found the headers were incorrect (rather than Mediatek / bQ removing or obfuscating bits of the source) and released a correctly labelled version of the source within days. Granted you can't see the development process for OEMs' work, though you frequently can test their internal builds which are often pushed to the main repos. They're as transparent as it gets.
Bluefoot, are you by chance based in Helsinki or Tampere area in Finland?

My problem with your posts (and why I don't answer them as often) is that you often get a lot of things right but also horribly wrong many times - and explaining all those facets can be quite time-consuming for me, that I'd rather spend with my family in the evening instead of explaining.

I don't think you get things wrong from point of view of analysis - you seem quite capable in that area, but that you don't have all the data needed to do a full analysis and have a full understanding.

Consider this post a voucher for a few free beverages with me if I'm in same town as you at some point and let's talk about mobile business in general.

EDIT: And if you're way too far out of the way for this ever being a likelihood, come talk to me on IRC, irc.freenode.net, nickname "Stskeeps"

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I want to listen in on that conversion. Please bring a web cam. I wants to reach full understanding. Information is key...

55 days to tablet shipment.

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-07-02 at 06:25.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You don't know much about business, do you? ;-)

Most businesses do not trust anything "open-sorce" by default. Most businesses prefer other businesses supplying their solutions, including security. Most businesses' security implementation is closed source.
Indeed. Key word is indemnification: whom are those businesses to blame if they suffer damage when a security weakness is found.
Another reason to go proprietary is when they want a special option to do XYZ (and the bigger the more of a mess is their internal structure and more often they need these 'special' options), and cannot wait for an open-sourced volunteer.
Look towards US, especially in the government and financial sector and you'll find plenty of examples.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Bluefoot, are you by chance based in Helsinki or Tampere area in Finland?

My problem with your posts (and why I don't answer them as often) is that you often get a lot of things right but also horribly wrong many times - and explaining all those facets can be quite time-consuming for me, that I'd rather spend with my family in the evening instead of explaining.

I don't think you get things wrong from point of view of analysis - you seem quite capable in that area, but that you don't have all the data needed to do a full analysis and have a full understanding.

Consider this post a voucher for a few free beverages with me if I'm in same town as you at some point and let's talk about mobile business in general.

EDIT: And if you're way too far out of the way for this ever being a likelihood, come talk to me on IRC, irc.freenode.net, nickname "Stskeeps"
And maybe if you already here and you talk on matter, you would enlighten us all? Because currently i see "you don't understand everything, but i don't want to explain it"

Edit:

As i understand explaining over IRC or even personal meeting can consume not less time while again, most of people here would be clueless(if you really can add som clearance). Otherwise it's one of the most common Internet answers " I do not have time, I don't want, I'm above it" together with "you are wrong, you don't get everything, there are things you don't know", while it's "valid point", those answers have no argument and any info and if a person especially popular and respectful( and you are, you are excellent dev and respectful maemo member), everyone one would just "wow, put likes, thanks". But just to be clear, if I would do something like that in all arguments in this thread(and it 'm OK of being not that popular here ) and tell people, "while you all have some valid points, you are still so wrong and Jolla is doing it wrong, but I have no time to explain it, if you want facts and info you can come over here to....Israel for beer and I would love to tell you everything and explain why", what if I use this in my argument?

Last edited by ZogG; 2015-07-02 at 07:00.

Originally Posted by ZogG View Post
come over here to....Israel for beer and I would love to tell you everything and explain why
Awesome, always wanted to visit Israel, be there in a sec

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
nickname "Stskeeps"
How do you pronounce your nick, is is "Saint Skeeps" or "S T S Keeps" or another way I haven't thought of? (and don't just say the latter, I really want to know )

I could also educate jolla in how to work with crowdfunding. since most of leadership comes from nokia, a big corporation mostly working behind closed doors, they get it right sometimes but often miss crucial parts.

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-07-02 at 07:54.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
i the get it right sometimes but often niss crucial parts.
What's most disappointing is that in the wake of the debacle of the Jolla phone's original release, Jolla claimed that they had learned a lot of lessons, particularly concerning communication about the product launch. And now it seems they have forgotten all those lessons.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund