Notices

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ Finland
I'm happy to announce a new remote controller for MythTV. Currently, it is available only at chinook extras-devel repository. I'm hoping to get some feedback before releasing it to wider audience.

Note that you need to in addition to the Internet Tablet client software, you need to install a receiving server to your MythTV frontend. It is available at project website.

This is the first release but it includes features such as connecting over bluetooth and WLAN (IP). For bluetooth connections, make sure your bluetooth adapter is configured properly. For WLAN connections, make sure your firewall is not blocking the connection. Also note that you need to enable telnet controlling at MythTV frontend.

Mythetomer is able to control also mplayer and xine for MythVideo and MythDVD, for instance. Running system commands is supported too. See project home page for server installation instructions.

http://netti.nic.fi/~icewood/mythetomer/

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Haven't installed it yet, but what does it offer over the standard web remote which works via the telnet interface. What is the server's purpose?

Currently it looks plain based on the screenshots on the site. I would like to see a remote app which has an lcd emulation on screen for myth's lcd output, or other positive feedback. I currently use either the web remote, or vnc server.

I will keep a close eye on this, and may use if we get more features.

Mythetomer offers support for controlling also mplayer and xine. For instance, if you use them to watch videos or dvds, you can't control them via stardard MythTV telnet interface.

Running system commands (any command specified) is supported too. For example, you can restart your MythTV frontend or shutdown your computer with the client.

At least these two features are offered over standard web remote.

You are right that the software looks plain and boring right now. However, I have a friend working on graphics and hopefully some future versions will have nicer user interface.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
thanks for clearing that up. I get a tad envious when I see something like mceguru. about the only thing I envy about media center mind!

Looks nice, I'll have to try it out. Is there any provision for different frontends - say a dropdown by hostname or IP (or bluetooth). I have 2 backends, both of which have frontends also, and 3 frontend-only machines. Would be nice to control whichever I'm in front of w/o changing a config file.

Is there any provision for different frontends - say a dropdown by hostname or IP (or bluetooth).
I had this in mind when designing the application. Therefore, the feature is supported in forms of connection profile. For every frontend, you need to first create a connection profile within client in which you specify connection type (bt/ip) and server address. After successful creation, you can easily switch the connection/frontend by selecting it from menu.

There has been only few downloads of the application so far. Therefore, if you decide to give it a try I would really appreciate some feedback! Thanks.

Once I get around to installing MythTV on my linux boxes I'll leave some feedback. It's always been a tricky thing for me.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Just installed this and tested it a bit. A few comments:
- nice to install and set up (I used the ubuntu binary package)
- does what it says nicely, no lag
- I experienced a few times a lost connection, but it quickly reconencted automatically

Nice work, this is a quite useful piece of software. What I would like to see is the possibility to select an alternative layout for the keys with just four big arrow keys, menu, enter and esc. The current setup has quite many keys which I never use, the buttons are also quite small and the layout perhaps not optimized for easy usage.

I will definitely continue using this, keep up the good work!

P.S. one small thing is missing on the help page: it is of course needed to start the mythetomer server on your myth frontend machine by typing mythetomer

Last edited by sibbe; 2008-02-26 at 17:40.

Mythetomer 0.3 is available to the public now. You can download it using single click mechanism or straight from maemo extras repository.

Visit maemo downloads and/or application website for links and details.

Thanks for the feedback too!

Hmm I gotta try it without the firewall but it tells me it's connected but it won't control anything (telnet control is on).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...