Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by hedayat View Post
Why not OpenStreetMap? I think it is one of the best solutions to gather community contributions for. It might not be the best and the most complete map, but it can be.
that's very naive thinking. I guess only 1% use openstreet map and only 10% of them contribute. So open street map will be for geeks with half baked maps especially in small countrys such as my country. With 99.9% using google maps.

And about sell Here I am disapointed. Now only a few car manufactors will have access to a good decent map. And as said here already if SFOS has to pay big fees we can soon forget about here on SFOS.

Stupid Nokia

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
that's very naive thinking. I guess only 1% use openstreet map and only 10% of them contribute. So open street map will be for geeks with half baked maps especially in small countrys such as my country.
While the number of OpenStreetMap users is smaller than the number of Google Maps users, don't assume that it is less complete and that contributions are of low quality. OSM is edited not just by casual users who want to contribute something back, but also by companies who are building a business on top of OSM (at my local OSM meetings in Romania I am one of the only people there who is not a professional developer).

And for many small countries, OSM coverage is often more extensive than Google Maps. I spend a lot of time cycling around the Balkans, going down unpaved roads that draw little traffic, and I'm finding more and more that there's nothing left for me to contribute to OSM: other people have already been there and mapped it first, while on Google Maps many of those roads are missing.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to CRCulver For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
All of them tile based. None of them offline. Bah.
And where are your patches adding offline map rendering ? ;-)

Originally Posted by CRCulver View Post
And for many small countries, OSM coverage is often more extensive than Google Maps. I spend a lot of time cycling around the Balkans, going down unpaved roads that draw little traffic, and I'm finding more and more that there's nothing left for me to contribute to OSM: other people have already been there and mapped it first, while on Google Maps many of those roads are missing.
Yep - this is from my experience the main difference between OSM and Google Maps - Google usually has bigger overall coverage but at quite low level of detail. On the other hand while OSM might not cover all areas (which less often by the day), if an area is covered it is usually covered at a much higher level of detail.

Good example are foot paths, walkways or stairs/stairways. underpasses, etc. OSM usually has them, which helps a lot when navigating foreign cities, but Google usually has only routes passable by cars and no pedestrian ways at all.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
that's very naive thinking. I guess only 1% use openstreet map and only 10% of them contribute. So open street map will be for geeks with half baked maps especially in small countrys such as my country. With 99.9% using google maps.

And about sell Here I am disapointed. Now only a few car manufactors will have access to a good decent map. And as said here already if SFOS has to pay big fees we can soon forget about here on SFOS.

Stupid Nokia
While OSM might not be as complete as GoogleMaps (or Nokia) (well, it highly depends on the area. some areas have high quality maps donated by governments or companies. In my area, it really has usually better coverage than Nokia one which lacks a lot in details).

But, it is not my point. The point is that I think if community is going to back some mapping, OSM probably deserves it more than any other commercial solution. It is really unfortunate that Google receives many contributions form people while (AFAIK) it has restricted licensing. What I lack personally is a good application with proper "offline" working support: so that I can tell it to download full map of my area and then work offline. TBH, I've never tested routing on OSM maps, but if it is lacking we can make it better too!

Last edited by hedayat; 2015-08-09 at 06:13.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
And where are your patches adding offline map rendering ? ;-)
Touché!

But, frankly, most people do not have the capacity to fix software by themselves. Even those who do, do not always have the time. There are only so many hours in a day. Consequently, if a product does not fit their needs entirely, they just move on. This is not about any specific case, it is a general observation of why more people do not flock towards the open-source nirvana.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=hedayat;1479050]While OSM might not be as complete as GoogleMaps (or Nokia) (well, it highly depends on the area. some areas have high quality maps donated by governments or companies. In my area, it really has usually better coverage than Nokia one which lacks a lot in details).
]

Thing is its far from complete compared to HERE and GMaps.

Originally Posted by hedayat View Post
But, it is not my point. The point is that I think if community is going to back some mapping, OSM probably deserves it more than any other commercial solution. It is really unfortunate that Google receives many contributions form people while (AFAIK) it has restricted licensing.
Ofcourse it is but that's the main problem. Normal people does not give a **** about licensing. They only use apps that is easy to use and easy to contribute. AFAIK those apps that exists for OSD is not user friendly in the first place. Thats is a must to success. Make apps that look good and is easy to navigate/use or else no one will use it except some FOSS people.

What they want is a decent good navapp and good maps in the first place. Last time I tried to take a look at the API it was not even near stable. Maybe this has changed lately.

But the apps OSD apps for Jolla is definitivly no go so far.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=hedayat;1479050]While OSM might not be as complete as GoogleMaps (or Nokia) (well, it highly depends on the area. some areas have high quality maps donated by governments or companies. In my area, it really has usually better coverage than Nokia one which lacks a lot in details).

OSM is far more complete and accurate than Google or Nokia maps. It just lacks good applications that are user friendly and can cache maps locally.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Both OSM and Google Maps are broken and outdated in my city. And I do live in a big city in The Netherlands. I've tried to contribute to OSM but after a while of fixing things I got yelled at by some long-time contributors and they've really discouraged me to contribute any further. So my city's still partly broken and outdated at this point.

So no, I won't recommend OSM. And neither do I recommend Google Maps for the broken/outdated reason.

HERE is pretty good in my city, so is Bing Maps (strangely enough!).

Last edited by vistaus; 2015-08-09 at 18:22.

I took a look at the developer API and remember why I stopped my intrests in OSD.

They STILL use XML as response API. Who the hell use XML this days.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I took a look at the developer API and remember why I stopped my intrests in OSD.

They STILL use XML as response API. Who the hell use XML this days.
That would not concern me at all. I would be MUCH more concerned if they changed the API three times a year because the new format is the current fashion of the month.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: